I got laid off today

bostondevil11

But dont' feel bad for me I get 6 month severence and I can collect unemployment and when i find a new job I will still be getting paid. So I will still be getting paid to post on the board. :boogie:

I was looking for a new job anyway so this is awesome. Are you supposed to feel sad when you lose your job?

But dont' feel bad for me I get 6 month severence and I can collect unemployment and when i find a new job I will still be getting paid. So I will still be getting paid to post on the board. :boogie:

I was looking for a new job anyway so this is awesome. Are you supposed to feel sad when you lose your job?

Depends on if you liked the job or not... when I got cut from my tech company some 5 1/2 years ago.. it sucked... but between my unemployment and taking a few of their customers... it became the core of my current business today... so it can be a blessing too... I miss some of the school districts I used to work in... but this is a much better life and I make the same working 1/3 the hours and zero overhead B )

so it's all in what you make of it... downer... or opportunity!

Good for you - since its what you wanted!!!

I requested a lay off once.. it was a great 6 months. They were laying off people in our department and many of them were older with families to support and all nervous. I was not one of the 2 people getting laid off, but my dad was very ill at the time and he had worked for the company so everyone knew he was out on disability and most likely would not make it back. I went to my boss and said I know you are laying off Alan and Philomena but I would gladly volunteer to take one of their spots because I would like to have the summer off to spend with my dad.

She said ok, double chcked with me a few days later before it got official, I said I still wanted it.. and I was officially laid off with 2 month severence and colelcted 6 months unemployment. I then spent many many hours with my dad over the summer since school was out and I didnt have to work, allowed my mom to not have to keep using her sick time to take my dad for his treatments..and was able to be with my dad in his final days and hours.

It was the best thing I ever did and I was so greatful that the complany knew my dad because otherwise I do not think they would have allowed it. I was aking elss thanthe other 2 employees cause I was there the shortest time, I also was much more efficient of a worker...which is why they were the targets... but I think they understood this was more important and I was going to be leaving in several months anyhow to start my student teaching.

It looks like it will work out for you and since you were looking anyway, you should be OK. Cashing in the options should give you an extra cushion. You are also still young, and by that, I mean, under 40.

No matter how much you hate your job, once you get near the age of 40, don't offer to do this. Because, it is still easier to look for a job while you have one and once you hit 40, you are automatically less attractive to employers in any case.

When you work part of your check goes toward unemployment insurance. When you get laid off or whatever they use these funds to give you unemployment pay until you get a new job. You are really only getting your own money back. At least that's how it works in theory.
Edited by nmigliore

When you work part of your check goes toward unemployment insurance. When you get laid off or whatever they use these funds to give you unemployment pay until you get a new job. You are really only getting your own money back. At least that's how it works in theory.

It used to be 70% of your salary... not sure if that changed. I collected 3 times and all 3 times that was the case.. and then 10% got taken out for taxes but that was optional.

You don't get all of your salary. You get a portion of what you made. So, the more you make, the more you get, but, for example, if you made about $90K a year and you have them take out federal taxes, which is a good thing to do, you wind up with about $450 a week. Not too bad, and if you take it at the same time as your severance it really allows you to save up a decent amount of money, especially if you cut back on your expences at the same time.

Yep, never said you get all of it. Also there is a maximum amount as far as I know and it can differ state to state.

I always wondered if you were supposed to report the severance pay (not saying I did or didn't :P) because they ask you if you received any money after termination or something like that.

Yah, I received a lump sum as well but I think they want to know about that as well as they consider it some sort of income. I believe I got the max too at the time as your figure sounds familiar.

Congrats on your raise, quite the hefty one! :)