Affirmative Action

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I obviously don't see it that way. It seems pretty simple to me. Choose the action that does the most good so long as you don't kill anybody. If trying to do good makes me a hypocrite in your eyes, gee Jimmy, that really really hurts. rolleyes.gif

• 3 weeks later...

(reposted from another thread to a more appropriate one)

What I find funny about affirmative action is that it's opposers feel like businesses are being forced to do something they don't want to do, which is the reason why affirmative action exists in the first place. It's not in place so businesses have to hire the unqualified, it's in place so when they have a qualified minority and a qualified white male, they can't always go towards the qualified white male - which is what happens when there is no system to keep it in check!

I'm not saying it would always happen, I'm just saying that if there was no pressure to be fair in the hiring process (or any of the other instances where affirmative action is enforced, such as decisions on housing approval, college acceptance, etc.) women would have no recourse when the man is always chosen . . an African-American has no recourse when the white person is always chosen. I'm not sure if you have it in your mind that the minority is always unqualified, or if it just seems like that since you're so resistant to the system. I tend to think if the idea of not being able to hire the white guy all the time is that uncomfortable, there is an issue somewhere in one's psychology.

And just to be clear, I'm not saying this study is the end all be all, but I think its extremely indicative of the natural bias every single human being on this planet possesses. One can deny it if they wish, but . . they'd be in denial, truly. This is only part of the problem, and part of the reason why I think affirmative action makes perfect sense.

The Threat of Appearing Prejudiced and Race-Based Attentional Biases

Now, I've read through these political threads pretty thoroughly, so I know how people act on here. If anyone has a reply and disagrees with me, I challenge you to do so without an accusatory tone or using words like "dumocrat". If you can't exchange ideas without doing so, maybe we can then get into a discussion of how people use words like that out of sheer inarticulacy and lack of original thought.

My new sergeant has less time on in law enforcement, by many years..............never worked an investigation, never done an affidavit, a search warrant, an interrogation, never made an arrest, but she's going to tell me how to handle my cases?

But, she's got a Ph.D and I only have a BA.............hmmmmmmm........

Poor sublicon. Posts something intellegent for comments and reactions and gets Gunslinger and metallidevils useless one-liners. This politics forum sucks compared to the forum at CalgaryPuck. At least people write more than one line.

Edited by Don

It's amazing how around 60 years ago, Jews that were lucky enough to escape persecution and come to America with literally nothing but the clothes on their back have been able to find success in business and society, by actually working hard. If we let minorities continue to rely on affirmative action, they have no incentive to actually try to achieve things on their own.

Poor sublicon. Posts something intellegent for comments and reactions and gets Gunslinger and metallidevils useless one-liners. This politics forum sucks compared to the forum at CalgaryPuck. At least people write more than one line.

Leeds proves once again that he doesn't know jack about Canada. Calgary is in Alberta, the Texas of Canada. It's a province full of oil-rich conservatives who don't want to part with any of their money to help out poorer provinces. In other words, they're Jimmy's favorite kind of people.

Edited by RowdyFan42

Leeds proves once again that he doesn't know jack about Canada. Calgary is in Alberta, the Texas of Canada. It's a province full of oil-rich conservatives who don't want to part with any of their money to help out poorer provinces. In other words, they're Jimmy's favorite kind of people.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.