Random Thoughts & Stuff

sammyk

What a crappy day. I need a lift. Give me something funny, or at least distracting.

I keep posting funny videos :rant: unless of course you're saying they aren't funny :(

Ok this one is a classic!

HAHA.. Best line: "What the F !?"

Best line: "Cheez-Its!! .. Cheez-Its!!"

Edited by Colin226

We just got back to the hotel. The Canadians advised us not to do Montreal and Ottawa in one day that the traffic from Mont. to Ott. would be hellacious. We got to Montreal at around 10 am. It was reaaaally easing getting through the border.

First we drove around... went up the mountain behind the city to get a good view and take some pictures.

Next, we came down the mountain and drove around. Got a little lost. Found the Bell Centre. The plaza in front of the arena is really cool. We went in the Habs store. It was weird seeing all the Gomez and Gionta jerseys around...

After the Bell Centre we went on the highway and got to Marty and Souray's Pizza place. The people there were really nice. It was a lot smaller than I expected. The food was AMAZING. The bill came out to 56 which was around 44 US dollars.

After that we drove back to the city and parked in Old Montreal and walked around. We went and took a self-guided tour of Notre Dame. That place is gorgeous. Then we walked around some more around the Old Montreal section. Went in and out of a bunch of shops, got a snack at Tim Hortons (nothing special about it).

After that we went back downtown and walked around in and out of a few shops. Jamie wanted a Gionta t-shirt but they said they wouldn't be available til August. There were a LOT of Nordiques merch around the city oddly enough. I ended up getting another Nords t-shirt with a French saying. All and all, we were looking at apartment buildings saying we wanted to move in haha. That city is amazing and we are already beginning to plan our return!

We just got back to the hotel. The Canadians advised us not to do Montreal and Ottawa in one day that the traffic from Mont. to Ott. would be hellacious. We got to Montreal at around 10 am. It was reaaaally easing getting through the border.

First we drove around... went up the mountain behind the city to get a good view and take some pictures.

Next, we came down the mountain and drove around. Got a little lost. Found the Bell Centre. The plaza in front of the arena is really cool. We went in the Habs store. It was weird seeing all the Gomez and Gionta jerseys around...

After the Bell Centre we went on the highway and got to Marty and Souray's Pizza place. The people there were really nice. It was a lot smaller than I expected. The food was AMAZING. The bill came out to 56 which was around 44 US dollars.

After that we drove back to the city and parked in Old Montreal and walked around. We went and took a self-guided tour of Notre Dame. That place is gorgeous. Then we walked around some more around the Old Montreal section. Went in and out of a bunch of shops, got a snack at Tim Hortons (nothing special about it).

After that we went back downtown and walked around in and out of a few shops. Jamie wanted a Gionta t-shirt but they said they wouldn't be available til August. There were a LOT of Nordiques merch around the city oddly enough. I ended up getting another Nords t-shirt with a French saying. All and all, we were looking at apartment buildings saying we wanted to move in haha. That city is amazing and we are already beginning to plan our return!

Thanks for sharing this. I'm gonna visit Montreal when the Devils play there in January. This gives me some ideas and something to think about.

Montreal is great and when I went I really enjoyed walking around Old Montreal, place was sick.

On an unrelated note, this has been one of the best nights I've had in a while. Just chillen out, eating, making beats in reason, drinking good beer, and in just under 2 hours I will be watching the Tennessee sunrise!

About the French vs. English... English was only spoken by tourists. The signs were all in French as well, obviously. Old Montreal is AWESOME. It really gives you the feel that you are in an old European city. Cobblestone roads, horses, everything. I cannot stress enough how CLEAN that city is. Couldn't really find a bad neighborhood either... I'm sure there are some hidden but we didn't see any with all the driving we did.

The natives know who the tourists are. Everyone we interacted with immediately spoke English with us before we got a word out. I can speak basic things in French but really didn't get the opportunity to.

Mindy, we will be going back in January as well. There was a huge hockey atmosphere there and it's the offseason! I can't imagine what it's like when the year is in full swing.

The only thing I am sad we didn't get to enjoy was the nightlife. We are staying in upstate New York so it would have been a bad idea to hit some bars and then try to cross back into the US a little buzzed haha. The US border was the tougher of the two, by far. We should really organize this trip in January.

Yeah that'd be really neat. My boyfriend and I talked about perhaps leaving NJ Friday morning and leaving Montreal Sunday afternoon, but that could change. He wants to check out the Unibroue brewery while we're there and go to the game, obviously, but other than that we don't have anything specific in mind atm. That'd be really cool to at least have a small group of Devils fans to enjoy the game together with. ClarkyDano23 might come with us, too. That's my cousin, whom I introduced you to at the equipment sale line.

That's a good idea to go to the pizza place. I didn't think of that. I've heard so much about the hockey atmosphere. It must be like Heaven living there. It would be to me, anyway.

Anyone else who's made the trip before, recommendations on places to stay?

FYI, leaving MTL on Sunday afternoon is not a good idea.....unless you want to spend about 3 hours at the border. It can get really busy on those start/end of weekend times.

Good point. Thanks for the advice. I hadn't considered that. Back in Feb. I drove across the border to the U.S. on a Sunday afternoon and didn't have much of a wait, but that was coming from Ottawa. :P

Crasher, RSC, OurMartysBetter - what say you to Wednesday afternoon hockey? I get out of work at 3, anytime after that. Is it feasible?

3 doesn't work for me, sorry, I have football from 3-5 and I can't skip any more days.

Crasher, RSC, OurMartysBetter - what say you to Wednesday afternoon hockey? I get out of work at 3, anytime after that. Is it feasible?

the later the better it seems... this place have lights??

I also MAY be in a league game that day but it looks unlikely

CMON NJDEVS HOCKEY!!!!!!!

I just spent 6 hours driving - all culminating in the last 10 minutes... driving through a fvckING TORNADO! I'm thinking - wow that cloud is boogying. Why is that helicopter flying all around it? I hope Greg is bring in the laundry I had hanging outside.... sh!t --- this lightening is messed up... this can't be a tornado - it would be the world's tiniest... well... I'm driving into a hilly wooded area so I don't' expect anything will touch down unless my estimation of that cloud is off

well I was right enough the cloud was over a pretty hilly area -- not a trailer park thank goodness!! and still got hammered with tree branches and a big-assed limb slammed my windshield which held up thankfully... then a dumbass in a convertible pulls over - I'm just thinking fvcknut DRIVE!! this fvcker is either by us already or coming on us NOW so move YOUR fvckING CAR... then my phone started ringing my husband's ring and i thought -- great that's Greg telling me I'm about to drive into a tornado! I was freaking out I cannot lie. Then as I got through I was thinking OK -- I am SO melodramatic that was a squall - I'm always thinking everything is a tornado and sure I'm always right but I've got to stop -- squall it was! Myabe -- you knwo Jeff Bridges White Squall -- but not a tornado. Then I called my husband back and said "you couldn't have called at a worse time -- I was driving through a freaking tornado" ... so he responded: You saw it then.. you saw the funnel cloud? I just thought: oh f***

I'm still sort of coming down off the adrenalin rush...

the later the better it seems... this place have lights??

I also MAY be in a league game that day but it looks unlikely

CMON NJDEVS HOCKEY!!!!!!!

Good question, I've never been there. I was kind of counting on OurMarty'sBetter on this one.

I'm down for later, just said I get out of work at 3...I'm good anytime after that, if we can't start til 6, that's fine.

Otherwise, another day.

Can't say I understand the hellacious Montreal to Ottawa traffic. Glad you enjoyed Montreal, but it was a shame you never got to Ottawa (I am guessing you never ended up going). Downtown Ottawa is absolutely beautiful in the summer.

And there certainly isn't anything special about Tim Hortons.

Edited by devilsrule33

Good question, I've never been there. I was kind of counting on OurMarty'sBetter on this one.

I'm down for later, just said I get out of work at 3...I'm good anytime after that, if we can't start til 6, that's fine.

Otherwise, another day.

6 or a little later would be perfect for me, actually. I'd be able to go home grab some food maybe shower get my hockey stick (street hockey, not roller, right) and make the 20 or so minute drive. By the way, can one of you guys give me an address so I can Mapquest it?