We met again Game Day Thread: Rangers VS Devils 7:00 PM EST

Devil Fan

im just waiting for jagr to dislocate his shoulder again trying to hit our player. (and missed)

ha ha good times.

Sh!t happens! We didn't play well, we played a game that would have been more than enough to beat about any team without Lundqvist in goal. We absolutely dominated the Rangers for about 45 minutes.

maybe if they hurt lundqvist..........lol jk

but hey it might work... :whistling:

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yea i know everyone's gonna disagree with me but this team is way more built for the playoffs than that of the last 2 years - we were forechecking! holding pucks in the zone! getting them to the back - drawing some penalties - getting great opportunities. just not finishing.

the finishing will come.

I disagree with you not because they aren't fore checking better they are. The problem is this team does not have offensive players who can make a play and score in traffic which is what you have to do in the playoffs. The top offensive players Elias aside can't can't handle the puck and they can't get anywhere close to a decent shot off in traffic. Then the defense Martin aside wilts under pressure. This is a team that can win from November through February. They have not shown they can win when the intensity of the game is high. The got off to a horrible start when faced with a ton of adversity and the games were a tad more intense because everyone had energy and was happy to be back. Down the stretch as the games picked up in intensity the fumbled again.

I would agree with you tonight if they had played well the last couple of weeks and had a game like this where they played well and the other team caught all kinds of breaks. However this same sh!t has been going on for coming up on a month now since that first game in Montreal. When is it going to end?

Maybe they are better for the playoffs this year but that's not saying much. The same sh!t that happened last year down the stretched happened again. For how much everyone wants to mention Marty having a bad playoff last year the problem was the team couldn't score. It just seems like a new season the same stuff.

The fact is, the team played well, but they STILL COULDN'T SCORE. It's almost harder to watch a team play well and just be incapable of scoring, than the team just straight up sucking for a night. At least when the team clearly plays badly they know what to improve on. The team played pretty much as well as they could, and it resulted in 1 goal.

Yes but they hit 3 posts. They are creating offense and that is the most important thing. The goals will come. Think back to 2000 in game 1 vs Toronto. Same type of loss. They hit 2 posts and even got shut out. Yeah that team was better but my point is that things aren't that bad. If they didn't create any chances, well then there would be something to worry about.

the issue is that this team has ALWAYS folded like a cheap suit if marty lets in a bad one - especially at a bad time which he did tonight. as triumph pointed out, marty has a lot more memorable clunkers than great ones in the playoffs. aside from the cup runs where he had some great series, he's been just as much the problem.

the devils shots hit lundqvist more than he made the great saves.

then again...remember TB last year. marty was terrible in game one and let in several bad goals. they won that series. the same can happen here.

Yes but they hit 3 posts. They are creating offense and that is the most important thing. The goals will come. Think back to 2000 in game 1 vs Toronto. Same type of loss. They hit 2 posts and even got shut out. Yeah that team was better but my point is that things aren't that bad. If they didn't create any chances, well then there would be something to worry about.

But my point is, you guys are making it like, we outplayed them, so even though we lost, we'll still outplay them in game two. However, we've shown that outplaying a team has meant absolutely nothing this season. If the Rags totally dominated us and we played horrifically, and it was still a close game with 10 minutes left, I'd feel better, because there actually is potential for us to improve on our performance. But at this point we just have to hope that the Rags play worse, because I don't believe we can play better than we did tonight (yet we lost).

devils can pull out a game or two if they keep playing like this. i just don't see them being able to win a series against the rangers though. too many flawed players on this team (gionta, mottau), and too many players that haven't quite gotten to where they need to be (clarkson, zajac, oduya, and greene). if clarkson had a bit more balance and skill to his game along the boards, and if oduya could actually get a shot through from the point, the result would've been different. there are still some growing pains this team has to go through, but they're close.

don't know what it is about greene, but he seems to be stepping it up in the playoffs again. i thought he played pretty well.

But my point is, you guys are making it like, we outplayed them, so even though we lost, we'll still outplay them in game two. However, we've shown that outplaying a team has meant absolutely nothing this season. If the Rags totally dominated us and we played horrifically, and it was still a close game with 10 minutes left, I'd feel better, because there actually is potential for us to improve on our performance. But at this point we just have to hope that the Rags play worse, because I don't believe we can play better than we did tonight (yet we lost).

i think of it like this.

the 2nd and 3rd goal against us were miscommunications, mistakes. i think its better to know that the were mistakes that don't usually happen, then just omg they scored these amazing goals on us and we cant stop them.

i think of it like this.

the 2nd and 3rd goal against us were miscommunications, mistakes. i think its better to know that the were mistakes that don't usually happen, then just omg they scored these amazing goals on us and we cant stop them.

ehh. im not too sure about that. we definitely out chanced them.

goals will come.

i think of it like this.

The 2nd goal was a fluke, yes. The third goal is the type of goal that seemingly happens just about every game - a temporary complete defensive breakdown.

ehh. im not too sure about that. we definitely out chanced them.

goals will come.

wait wat do u mean. i was talking about the 2nd and 3rd goal they had on us.

i do agree we out chanced them on shots through the game.

The 2nd goal was a fluke, yes. The third goal is the type of goal that seemingly happens just about every game - a temporary complete defensive breakdown.

excactly

wait wat do u mean. i was talking about the 2nd and 3rd goal they had on us.

i do agree we out chanced them on shots through the game.

excactly

i kinda meant we LEGITIMATELY out chanced them, their goals shouldn't even count as chances, because they were basically put in by US. Rangers had a few legitimate chances, goals 2 and 3 being NONE of them.

I understand where you are coming from. You actually acknowledge the fact that the team played well tonight which is nice to read. It might sound like an excuse but the Devils have had an incredible amount of misfortune against the Rangers this year. But it's the same thing like when the Devils didn't lose to the Rangers for that 23 game stretch from 97-01. There were plenty of games that they played well and lost to the Devils because they found ways to lose the games just the same way the Devils are.

It might not happen but if the Devils continue this type of play it's not unreasonable to believe that they will snap out of this and they're going to win some games. Yes they have been losing, but they're not being dominated either. The main issue is their margin of error is so small and the Rangers have been better at cashing in on mistakes. Just keep the faith.

Edited by SickMan

i kinda meant we LEGITIMATELY out chanced them, their goals shouldn't even count as chances, because they were basically put in by US. Rangers had a few legitimate chances, goals 2 and 3 being NONE of them.

wat does legimately mean.lol sry my vocabulary is that of like a 3rd grader not a 8th.

The third goal tonight was the only one that really worries me. Gomez simply skated wide on Salvador, Avery crashed the net, and noone was covering Avery in front. If we give up only one legit goal per game, which tonight proved is possible, we at least send the game to OT, as Marty would have had the other 2 goals on any other day.

Nearly forgot--Salvador was TERRIBLE! Got caught out of position all night and made terrible passes. I prefer VV.

i thought salvador was actually ok. greene on the otherhand was awful in all facets. he really stunk on the PP but unless they decide to use rachunek despite him having a foot out the door, there isn't a better solution as sutter has gone back to refusing to use 4 forwards and martin on PP1 to allow for mottau/oduya on PP2.

as for tonights game, the best player on the ice was the same guy that was the best player on the ice in every playoff game we played last year - gomez. i'm not saying that lou should've played gomez's last 2 years here any differently. i'm just pointing out that he was very good. and madden is right - he's not checking 3rd line centers. because gomez was the 1st liner for sure. and madden could not keep up with him.

the devils did get their chances tonight. gionta missed the net. brylin hit the crossbar. either of these go in and the complexion of the game is obviously completely different. the brodeur miscue came at the absolute worst time. the game was totally even at that point and the devils collective spirit was crushed. the 3rd goal was a case where the devils were running around at the end of a shift with no ability to simply calm down. that's where having only white (and martin to a lesser extent) with any type of experience in the playoffs to handle this kind of thing.

friday is another game. the devils gave the rangers the outside with speed all night and seemed fine with it.

i didn't think the devils were winning this series anyway, but there's really no sugarcoating the fact that game 2 is a must win.

The wheels fell off on this game tonight. Brodeur played his worst game in his playoff career IMO. All the goals were bad including the go-ahead doozie goal. :puke: Just a night mare of a game and the Devils again just cannot score. Brylin (friggen blew the break away), Gionta (countless times), Elias, Parise and Langenbrunner could not put the puck in the net. This will be a short series if this continues. Brodeur MUST bounce back from this disaster of a game with a WIN on Friday night.

Just really not musch to say here as the NYR once again got all the lucky bounces and don't know how many times Lundqvist will hear the posts and the crossbars ringing in his sleep tonight. :angry: There was just too much blue there tonight and would like to call out and say where the hell is our Devils fanbase? Some need to show up for the games instead of being on here and watching it on TV! Need more RED to fill the stands here Devils fans. It was embarrassing tonight and it could only get worse. :angry:

Salvador was TERRIBLE and showed his rust tonight. I would rather have Vishnevski in there to hit and bang the sh!t out of Gomez and Jagr when they cross the blueline! They need to be hit and not just skate freely into the Devils zone. Can't have it. Just terrible tonight and gave the NYR Game 1 tonight on a silver platter. :angry:

I would rather have Vishnevski in there to hit and bang the sh!t out of Gomez and Jagr when they cross the blueline! They need to be hit and not just skate freely into the Devils zone. Can't have it.
Edited by zachattack9

Wheeewwww! I just went through all the posts in this thread. Man, that was rough. Give me a second to catch my breath.

OK, now ... the outcome of that game flat-out suuuucked!

Yet still, I can't wait for Game 2!

Goodnight.

:evil:

The fact is, the team played well, but they STILL COULDN'T SCORE. It's almost harder to watch a team play well and just be incapable of scoring, than the team just straight up sucking for a night. At least when the team clearly plays badly they know what to improve on. The team played pretty much as well as they could, and it resulted in 1 goal.

Exactly. None of these Devils forward (aside from Parise) are "finishers". They can get chances, but they can't lift the puck at the right time or whatever it is.

Exactly. This was the best effort we could put forward and we lost by 3. Hopefully there will be no more fluke goals, but that still would have left it to probably go to OT and the Devils almost never win in playoff OT.