Women's hockey protection

threestars

Have a quick question for any of the ladies on the board who play women's hockey.

I am looking to get some women's shoulder pads. I just bought some men's ones (that is all that is available at any of the hockey shops in the area) and just wanted to get an idea on how they fit. Are they more comfortable and fit better than men's pads? Also how does the sizing compare to men's? Will a women's medium be effectively the same as a men's medium?

Thanks for any input.

I play and have only used women's shoulder pads and breezers so can't really compare. I bought my stuff 5 years ago but I did try on both mens and women's gear when deciding what to get and ended up wtih women's versions. It's also the general opinion of women I know is that women's gear is better for fit, comfort and protection. From locker room conversations womens' shouder pads seem to make more of a difference for women with a larger chest - which is not surprising. I also know that women who have men's comment on the fact that they don't think the shoulder pads go down low enough in front.

I can't help you too much in size but can tell you I'm between a small/medium when buying normal tops and I can't remember what brand but have a small. It's nice and snug when the velcro is fully "cinched" so I probably am not doing the right thing by having it loose but the medium was too big.

He was so into that whole clam shell thing... almost me with the athletic supporter cracks...hey that reminds me remember when Scott Stevens's cu...wait... i better save that one for the "last on to post here" thread :uni:

I heard the same thing -- women's breezers and shoulder pads are built for a woman's body - padding isn't needed in the same spots - but if you want dude's stuff then what the heck - not that significant a difference if you're not living in them.

So guys, no jokes about he fact 3*s was told big chested women do better with womens pads so she opted for mens? Dare we think... respect? Or just skimming?

So guys, no jokes about he fact 3*s was told big chested women do better with womens pads so she opted for mens? Dare we think... respect? Or just skimming?

What happens in NLD, stays in NLD.

Although it did leak once but we try not to remember that.

My wife plays/ed and I think pads are unisex. You'll need a clam shell btw.

I just thought of that line from Mr Deeds,

"what you trying to do? I ain't got no nuts dummy!"

Well I went to see the guy at the pro-shop at the rink. He sorted me out with a set of pads that can contour, so they work for me.

It's a matter of preference. I'm not too picky about my shoulder pads, and the men's set I have now works just fine for me. However, I have tried this, and the fit is superior. I'll probably go with that one when it's time to replace my current shoulder pads.

I just got an email about this new site from epuck.com, figured it could be useful here:

www.shepuck.com

Thanks. I got that e-mail too. All the pink scared me away, but if anyone's interested, type in save10 as the coupon code to get 10% off (it's a grand opening promo so supposedly it'll only work until 8/1).

Edited by gionta182

I have to ask.......what is the difference for women's skates? I have looked at them online and I can't see any difference to the comparable men's versions....

Here's a very brief explanation. I'd try on both men's and women's skates before you buy, and if you find a pair of men's skates you really like, go for those.

Thanks, that is interesting. I haven't actually seen any women's skates in a shop anywhere, but right now I am trying to find some places nearby that have a wide variety of skate brands. I just want to try a lot of different makes in the same place so I can compare them. I see there are a lot of places in Eastern Mass. so might try to convince the bf to take a trip out there. But I just found out that Canada's largest hockey store just opened in Kanata, Ottawa, and we have both been saying we really need a holiday, so looking into a road trip to Ottawa (and adding in Toronto and Montreal too) in the next couple of weeks, so that'd be very helpful.