Verbeek Retires

westcoastdevfan

http://www.cbc.ca/pcgi-bin/templates/sport...s/verbeek030423

Idle Verbeek retires from NHL

WebPosted Wed Apr 23 19:26:46 2003

CBC SPORTS ONLINE - Pesky right winger Pat Verbeek quietly retired Wednesday afternoon.

Pat Verbeek is the lone NHLer with 500+ goals and 2,500+ penalty minutes.

(AP Photo/Paul Sancya)

Verbeek, 38, played 20 NHL seasons, the last in 2001-02.

The Sarnia, Ont., native was a four-time 40-goal sniper, including 12 hat tricks, a two-time all-star and Stanley Cup champion with the Dallas Stars in 1999.

"The game has been great to me, I've been very blessed," Verbeek said.

Since going unsigned, Verbeek has worked a television analyst for Detroit Red Wings games.

"I've been to so many places and met so many people, all because of hockey and I'm so very thankful for that," he said. "And now, being in the broadcast booth has given me a different perspective of how to view the game and a different level of appreciation for the game.

"Also, I now have time to enjoy coaching my son's hockey team and travel with my daughters' soccer teams."

"He wasn't sure if he wanted to make it official," revealed Claire Mommjian, Verbeek's marketing manager.

"It's been a very difficult decision for him. But after spending the whole season out, he's realized he enjoys the broadcasts and is really enjoying being a dad."

Verbeek totalled 522 goals and 541 assists for 1,063 points with 2,905 penalty minutes in 1,424 games with the New Jersey Devils, Hartford Whalers, New York Rangers, Stars and Detroit Red Wings.

He became the 57th NHLer to reach the 1,000-plateau with an assist versus the Tampa Bay Lightning on Feb. 27, 2000.

Verbeek, who lost a thumb in a farming accident in 1985, is also the only player in NHL history with 500-plus goals and 2,500-plus penalty minutes.

He was New Jersey's third choice -- 43rd overall -- in the 1982 NHL Draft.

"Not many players come along with the combination of skill and toughness that Pat had," said one-time Stars teammate Brett Hull.

"And both of those qualities paled in comparison to his heart and determination."

So long little ball of hate. I really like this guy for the way he would always be the first one to stick up for one of his team mates. I fondly remember once incident where a small team mate of his was being pushed around and shoved to the ice during the off play and Verbeek came out of no where and tackled the guy to the ice. :P

When Beeker's contract was up here in Dallas, there were "SIGN VERBEEK" bumper stickers around town. That hasn't happened for anyone else. Too bad Gainey didn't listen.

When Pat had his day with the Cup, he called the Priest at his Catholic church in a Dallas suburb, to see if it would be okay to bring the Cup to Saturday evening Mass, and have it blessed. The Priest said okay, then called as many families as he could who had kids, to make sure they would be there to see the Cup. Full house!

:):):)

This news makes me as sad as when I heard Richer had retired (the first time). Pat Verbeek has a very prominent place in devils history and lore. It was he with Aaron Broten and Kirk Muller who formed the first truly dangerous line in New Jersey. Ahh, the kid line.

Ain't kids no more.

Greatest Devil Verbeek moment.

During the stretch run of 1988; Devils hosted Rangers on a sunday afternoon. Of course Devils needed every point. (if Rangers won, the '88 playoff run never would've happened).

Don't remember the details, but I believe Beeker broke a tie with a penalty shot goal vs. Beezer. I'm pretty sure it was Palm Sunday exactly 1 week before Johnny Macs' biggest Devil goal.

omg I love Beeker! He's was so amazing to watch out there on the ice. He's my favorite style of player. One that will go out there and play 100% and get into the other players player's faces and under their skin. I sure miss that when he came back to dallas for the 2nd time around. I will miss him playing!

And yes njdev25, I remember that with the cup. He's a great guy. I hope things are great for him in the future.

I still miss Larry Hirsch's "Give it a V for Verbeek!!!"

(Anyone on this board remember Larry Hirsch?)

Besides the Devils playing in my home state, he is another major reason why I became a fan of this team. The early years when wins were so rare, he was excited as any fan was after a big goal or win.

Don't know if it's myth or not, but I heard he was fired after the season in which when the Devils scored to win a road game, he jumped on the table while doing play-by-play. I believe the home team complained.

I always wonder how he would've called Johnny Mac's goal in 88 or a Devils Cup win.