GDT: NYR @ New Jersey 2/9/09. 7:00 PM

SatansDevils

That reminds me of a similar situation last year. Immediately following another ridiculous (insert borderline penalty HERE) call against us, some kid, no older than 10, gets up and shouts, "Get off your knees ref! You're blowing the game!"

Section 209 :thumbsup:

I heard one the other night at the LA game I found particularly amusing: "Hey ref, are you pregnant? Because you've missed two periods!!" :lol:

Section 209 B )

Another good one! These almost deserve their own thread.

Section 209-isms that I miss in my stuff... I'm all for it... do it before I write my stuff and I miss less!!! :boogie:

Gomez... promptly booed each time he touched the puck. I loved it.

I still disagree with that one... that lil maggot LOVES attention and the best way to get to him (like Avery) ignore it... pretend it's not on the ice.... usually he feeds from the boo....

tonight it just made it feel like a home game :lol:

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone else noticed how regularly the Devils have been getting booted from faceoffs lately? Especially Zajac, it seems like every time he steps to the dot, he gets kicked out.

Anyway, I'm watching the replay of last night's game on NHL Network and it looks like Sutter has caught on. For a few faceoffs, he's had the winger line up to take the draw, and when he inevitably gets the boot the line's actual centerman steps in and takes the faceoff. Right at the end of the game with an offensive zone faceoff, Gio lined up over the dot, got booted, and then Zubrus stepped in and won it cleanly back to Gio along the half boards for a quick shot. Like it was drawn up, crisp and clean.

Interesting.

Has anyone else noticed how regularly the Devils have been getting booted from faceoffs lately? Especially Zajac, it seems like every time he steps to the dot, he gets kicked out.

Anyway, I'm watching the replay of last night's game on NHL Network and it looks like Sutter has caught on. For a few faceoffs, he's had the winger line up to take the draw, and when he inevitably gets the boot the line's actual centerman steps in and takes the faceoff. Right at the end of the game with an offensive zone faceoff, Gio lined up over the dot, got booted, and then Zubrus stepped in and won it cleanly back to Gio along the half boards for a quick shot. Like it was drawn up, crisp and clean.

Interesting.

I've noticed a lot of teams doing this - teams will also, late in the game, put out two centers, one of whom almost inevitably gets tossed.

Also, Zubrus gets tossed way more often than anyone on New Jersey, I don't know why that is - whether it's to artificially inflate his faceoff numbers or what.

Edited by Triumph

Interesting.

I did notice he got the boot a few times, but for my fantasy team (Go! MUMMIES!) he recorded 13 face off wins.

IDK if this was discussed, but it's amazing to me that Mara didn't go with Clarkson last night and had to have his D partner stick up for him (coming all the way across the ice, mind you).

Can you imagine any of our D not dropping it with Colton Orr or some other worthless enforcer on the rangers?

What that episode said to me is that we can push around Paul Mara, Wade Redden, Rosival, etc. There's no reason to fear those guys. And you tell me we're going to fear Erik Reitz??!!

To quote Mike Rupp, Mara is a "fvcking pvssy."

I've noticed a lot of teams doing this - teams will also, late in the game, put out two centers, one of whom almost inevitably gets tossed.

Also, Zubrus gets tossed way more often than anyone on New Jersey, I don't know why that is - whether it's to artificially inflate his faceoff numbers or what.

I want to say I've seen Sutter put both Madden and Holik out there for late defensive-zone draws before. Although that shouldn't be the case anymore since, statistically, Holik and Zajac are our best pivots. Madden is a distant fourth out of our four regular centers when it comes to faceoff numbers.

That kind of stuff isn't uncommon. But, to me, it looked like a ballsy call to have Gio originally step up to take the draw. Then, to have him get booted and Zubes cleanly win the draw back to Gio on what looked like a set play, well it kinda made Sutter look like a genius.

That is pretty genius... put a non-center out there to try to push the envelope on the faceoff and gain an advantage... if he gets away with it, he has a better chance of winning, if not, the real center steps in to take the draw.

But then the real center can't take the draw in their normal fashion because they have to make sure not to get thrown out.

I think you'd want to break down the numbers, both before and after, before concluding a non-center taking liberties wins a higher percentage of draws than a centerman acting normal and then what percentage the center wins coming in second when he is acting less aggressive.

i feel that the reffs are calling alot more penalties against the devils and throwing alot of our centers out. Its crazy to see this happening game in and game out