GDT: NYR @ New Jersey 2/9/09. 7:00 PM

SatansDevils

Shoot me but I didn't think the officiating was that bad tonight. Other than the ref having it in for Zubrus anyway. I'm not the guy's biggest fan (and he has been awful lately which has typically gotten underplayed here) but you don't often see three minors by one player AND the same player getting hooked and held the entire game.

Yay for Clemmy :clap: Glad he finally got one this year...maybe not having Cangelosi around during the intermission was what we needed :whistling:

Zach got the two goals but if any play was symbolic of where both teams are it was when he beat out Redden for a loose puck when Redden should have gotten to it even going half speed, just before the first of the two penalties leading to the 5-on-3...and that was my only moment of consternation of the night. It seemed as if the Devils were content to run out the two minutes on that power play.

I'd say Renney's gone now, especially after that third period. Did any Ranger have a pulse other than Betts and Queen Pads?

Edited by Hasan4978

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great win. Solid game by Clemmy. Good to see him get a shutout.

While everyone else will probably be point out all the good stuff from the game, I wanted to bring up the 5 on 3. Sutter clearly does stuff for no reason, and the 5 forward PP is just another thing that he continues to throw out there time and time again with awful results. Here was a chance to easily ice the game with a normal 5 man PP yet he decided to try out his little experiment again, only for the whole thing to explode. Maybe the worst 5 on 3 I have ever seen.

It isn't just the 5 forward power play that bugs me. It is who is on the PP. Rolston and Langenbrunner cannot man the points if you are going to do this. Put Langenbrunner and Elias up high, and some combination of Zajac, Parise, Shanahan, Zubrus and Gionta down low if you are going to use it.

Other than that...fantastic win.

the 5 forward power play was what scored on New Jersey's last 5 on 3 goal. quite possibly their last two 5 on 3 goals.

also the refs were not bad tonight. it looked like it was going to be horrible after the 1st but the refs made an absolutely atrocious call on gomez in the 2nd. they weren't exactly wearing ranger blue for the 3rd period either.

Edited by Triumph

this was a great game.. Zajac and then Shanny eating up the Rags PP time with hardwork in the 3rd period is the epitome of what the Rags' season has been like and what our season has been like - we work hard and win, Rags seemingly care less about whats going on

the 5 forward power play was what scored on New Jersey's last 5 on 3 goal. quite possibly their last two 5 on 3 goals.

Even if this is true (too lazy to look it up), I still hate the 5 forward PP. It seems to me that we seriously struggle to hold the puck in at the point with 5 forwards.

Very happy to see Clemmensen get a 60 minute shutout, given how many times this year he went 40 without a goal. One had to come sometime!!

Holik with the GWG. I really like that when some of our goal scorers are in a cool period our pluggers can fill the gaps.

Way to go, Devils! Oww!!!! What a game.

They didn't give the Rangers any second chances all night! Pairse was awesome as usual. Zajac played a steady game as he has all season. Elias' stickwork was amazing at times, but, damn, if he could only finish on that nice feed from Gionta! And what a difference in the D with Whitey back there. I thought Mottau was a little shaky, though.

And of course, the obvious star ... Clemmer with the first shutout of the season! Hell yeah!!

Go Devils!

also the refs were not bad tonight. it looked like it was going to be horrible after the 1st but the refs made an absolutely atrocious call on gomez in the 2nd. they weren't exactly wearing ranger blue for the 3rd period either.

Fair enough. I just saw Shanahan's first goal and we were using the 5 forward PP, but the PP just doesn't look too hot gaining the zone and setting up. The 5 on 3 works best with precision passing, and I think our top PP unit gives us that.

Good to see you admit how crazy (to put it politely) you sounded for mentioning Redden a lot of times as a possible free agent signing for the Devils.. A deal like that would have crippled the franchise. Redden is finished as a productive player in this league, yet he has one of the richest contracts. It is scary how bad that long term contract is already in just year one. Watching him in Ottawa the past two years was painful. He is weak down low and just can't move anymore.

Has, you said if Redden even moved at half speed he could have gotten to that puck...well guess what. That was his full speed.

Just got back.

Great atmosphere tonight, never really let the Rangers fans make much noise; they were loudest when Rupp got his ass kicked (or at least it looked that way from where i was), but the 2 goals shut them up pretty quick. One douchebag by me was calling for Holik the entire first period and the start of the second, and then when Holik scored, he had this kinda shocked and horrified look on my face. I lol'ed. All in all, a great night.

Wow, Clemmer with the first star over Parise. Kinda surprising since Clemmer was never really tested in this game.

1st shutout of the season, he was solid tonight.

they were loudest when Rupp got his ass kicked (or at least it looked that way from where i was)

Orr caught him good. That's two fights in a row now that Rupp got embarrassed. Apparently, he needs to spar a little.

Edited by 95Crash

The Devils look GOOOOD.

I think this team is a contender. Unless they fall apart by the end of the season this team has a legit shot to win it all. I really didn't feel that way about the team the last two seasons but this year I can see it happening. A top offense, and a defense that's playing very well as one cohesive unit. There is certainly room for improvement but even if no moves come I can see this team making noise.

The Devils look GOOOOD.

I think this team is a contender. Unless they fall apart by the end of the season this team has a legit shot to win it all. I really didn't feel that way about the team the last two seasons but this year I can see it happening. A top offense, and a defense that's playing very well as one cohesive unit. There is certainly room for improvement but even if no moves come I can see this team making noise.

I Just want one more good defenseman to most likely replace Greene or MOttau. I still think Sal needs to be with Martin.