Rangers Suck Chant

DEV1LDR1VER

Considering that there is always one Rangers fan at any devils game I go to.

Who cares? There will be Lightning fans at the game tonight to.

Do Lightning fans elicit the same type of jealousy in Devils "fans"?

I never do the chant myself.

nuff said

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the "Rangers Suck!" chant as much as anyone. It is fun, especially when see Rag jerseys at The Rock while the Blueskirts have an important game of their own going on. Real fans. But people were singing the chant on the way out after the loss to Carolina last week. Of course the Rags have sucked, still suck, and will suck. But is it not the right time to have them on the mind when the Devs lose after being 6:55 away from a shutout?

Should house rules be: No Rags chant after loss?

who cares the rangers suck and who cares it lightens up our spirits after a game because even tho we aren't doing that great. I have been a real fan since i was born and always will be and its our thing to say that the rangers suck just like the flyers suck but who cares its ur choice to say it. if you don't want to say it then thats ur choice but others will say it not matter how drunk we are.

I thought it was SOOOO nice at 552 when I only heard the chant once or twice. Everyone was too busy chanting for Patty and Marty. That's the way the games should be. Who gives a crap about the rangers? I think it's kind of sad that we have to be reminded of their existence when we're not playing them.

I thought it was SOOOO nice at 552 when I only heard the chant once or twice. Everyone was too busy chanting for Patty and Marty. That's the way the games should be. Who gives a crap about the rangers? I think it's kind of sad that we have to be reminded of their existence when we're not playing them.

I was at the game too, and it was great that every f'ing chant during the game wasn't "rangers suck." There are a lot of better things you can find to yell down to the players.

Telling the Lightning that the Rangers suck is hardly insulting to them. Hell, it's not even telling them something they don't already know. I'm sure it doesn't serve to pump up the Devils either.

No but they chant Potvin sucks and hes been retired nearly 20 years

And he's got four Cup rings and a spot in the Hall of Fame. It's fairly safe to say Potvin doesn't suck.

The Rangers, meanwhile, are a steaming pile of suck.

Oh then lets be just like Rangers fans then because then we'll be considered "cool".

Manta, you're wasting your time. It's simply going to fall on deaf ears. Either you think the chant is ridiculous for all the points you mentioned (as I do), or you think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread, the way a good number of fans apparently do. Devils fans (not all) have a case of Bostonitis. Sawx fans hate the Yankees more than they like the Red Sox, and the same is true for a lot of Devils fans in relation to the Rangers.

And not hearing the chant during St. Patrick's Day was definitely a great surprise.

It's kind of become "our thing". I mean, Ranger fans still chant "Potvin sucks" and the guy has been retired for over 20 years. Not to mention they do it every game- not just when they're playing the Islanders. It's "their thing". "Rangers suck" has become "our thing".

Thank you!!

And I am all for chanting it if we're losing 4-0. Cause even though we're losing, we need that good ol pick-me-up by chanting Rangers Suck. Cause even though we're losing/lost...the rangers still suck :)

I have mixed feelings about the chant. Every time I talk sports with my friends (it's soccer usually) and one of us mentions some other team's fans bashing our team when we don't play them we say they are insecure and stuff. The thing is, we root for the best team in the country, so when a success-less team cares about us too much, it just means they have issues.

So this thing kinda pops in my mind everytime I heard the Rangers suck chants. I myself am a big Rags hater, I have lots of "Rangers suck" tags on the back of my notebooks etc. But the Devils have had much more success than the Rangers since I was born, so this Rangers hatred shouldn't mean being insecure. And I think it doesn't. Truth be told, I only care about the Rangers when a) we play them or b) they are higher in the standings c) they are having success against us, either in the regular season, or in the playoffs.

When there is no Rangers - Devils game coming in the next month or so, we have a winning record against them and we are higher, I don't think about them that much. I always check their scores and hope they miss the playoffs, but that's natural - they are our rivals. But I'm not pumped 24/7. And yeah, Marty's record breaking night was beautiful: the Rangers were nowhere near my mind. I was just enjoying the historic night, the success, I was so proud. Same thing will happen when the Devils win the next cup.

All in all, I definitely find the chant overused. It's appropriate when we play them or when they are in a slump or when we're going to pass them in the standings or something. Or during a game before a Rangers - Devils game. Any other time, I think it just isn't suitable and when the Devils fans chant it while their own team is playing like sh!t, it's just terrible.

Edited by Revan

Manta, you're wasting your time. It's simply going to fall on deaf ears. Either you think the chant is ridiculous for all the points you mentioned (as I do), or you think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread, the way a good number of fans apparently do. Devils fans (not all) have a case of Bostonitis. Sawx fans hate the Yankees more than they like the Red Sox, and the same is true for a lot of Devils fans in relation to the Rangers.

I know.

But I have a lot of friends that are Rangers fans that always laugh at the "doofs" that participate in the "chant" at non-Ranger games.

I just get tired of the smug sense of superiority the chant brings out in Ranger fans when they hear the envy.

I know.

But I have a lot of friends that are Rangers fans that always laugh at the "doofs" that participate in the "chant" at non-Ranger games.

I just get tired of the smug sense of superiority the chant brings out in Ranger fans when they hear the envy.

You really care that much about what Rangers fans think? Let's see, a big amount of Devils fans yelling "Rangers suck!" in unison...of course they're not going to be happy about it, so their response is to say that we have an inferiority complex or are obsessed with them, etc. Meanwhile, I was at the game at MSG on Monday and the whole group of Rangers fans around me except for my friend would not stop talking about Marty the entire game, including gems such as, "Lundqvist has a gold medal and three Vezina nominations...what has Marty won?!"

Let's see, a big amount of Devils fans yelling "Rangers suck!" in unison...of course they're not going to be happy about it, so their response is to say that we have an inferiority complex or are obsessed with them, etc. Meanwhile, I was at the game at MSG on Monday and the whole group of Rangers fans around me except for my friend would not stop talking about Marty the entire game, including gems such as, "Lundqvist has a gold medal and three Vezina nominations...what has Marty won?!"

Actually, I didn't say they weren't happy about it, I said they LAUGH at Devil "fans" that are so obsessed with the Rangers that they can't enjoy their own team with having to bring them up.

Its like one of your friends who claims not to care about an ex-girlfriend, but give him a few beers and that all he talks and whines about all night.

The way that you portray these ignorant fans at MSG, is basically the same way Ranger view envious Devil fans that do the "chant".

I know.

So you're insecure about what your friends think about the chant?

Actually, I didn't say they weren't happy about it, I said they LAUGH at Devil "fans" that are so obsessed with the Rangers that they can't enjoy their own team with having to bring them up.

Its like one of your friends who claims not to care about an ex-girlfriend, but give him a few beers and that all he talks and whines about all night.

The way that you portray these ignorant fans at MSG, is basically the same way Ranger view envious Devil fans that do the "chant".

I think your ex-girlfriend analogy is spot-on. I'm resigned to the fact that the chant will always be a part of the fabric of the Devils game experience, but wish fans would be as inclined to get a loud "Let's Go Devils" chant going instead from time to time. It's rare to get a really good arena-wide Devils chant going, at least ever since Baumann retired. A new Baumann to get the "Gimme a D...E...etc" started and get the whole arena going at once would be nice.

I think your ex-girlfriend analogy is spot-on. I'm resigned to the fact that the chant will always be a part of the fabric of the Devils game experience, but wish fans would be as inclined to get a loud "Let's Go Devils" chant going instead from time to time. It's rare to get a really good arena-wide Devils chant going, at least ever since Baumann retired. A new Baumann to get the "Gimme a D...E...etc" started and get the whole arena going at once would be nice.

When I go to a Devil game I want to cheer for the Devils.

I really appreciated Baumann and thought he was a much more creative signature of a Devils game. We need a new Baumann because envying the Rangers isn't cutting it and Devil fans deserve better.

Where was this taking place? In the corridors? On the stairwells after the game? If so, it was probably just pissed-off Devils fans blowing off steam after a loss. They needed to vent.

But if it was happening in the closing minutes of the game -- when what we really needed most were some pro-Devils chants -- then I would agree with you.

I heard it in the hall in the pile waiting to get down the escalators.

OK. So everyone is all over on that topic. How about this?

Tampa was up 2 - 0 and Shanny gets the penalty shot. Rock and Roll Part 2 is played and after "Hey" is everyone's favorite "You Suck!"

Ya yelling that after a goal when the Devs are still losing 2 - 1?

I know.

And you're calling other people insecure?

OK. So everyone is all over on that topic. How about this?

Tampa was up 2 - 0 and Shanny gets the penalty shot. Rock and Roll Part 2 is played and after "Hey" is everyone's favorite "You Suck!"

Ya yelling that after a goal when the Devs are still losing 2 - 1?

Yep.

Do chants really always need to have some immediate relevance? It's freaking sports, and they're freaking chants. We can't tell our opponents that they suck right after we score on them? We can't say that our most hated rival sucks whenever we feel the urge? What's next ... we can't wear Devils gear unless we're at a game? Or we can't chant Marty's name during a game in which he's already surrendered a goal? Overanalyzing the behavior of sports fans can be hazardous to one's health.