All MLB Thread

devilsrule33

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got a number of chances to watch Dunn this year and the guy is a monster and seems to be a great clubhouse kind of guy. I'm amazed he lasted as long as he did as a free agent last year. If he can develop to be a slightly less then average fielding first baseman I hope the Nats lock him for years to come; his problem is he is truly a DH.

I got a number of chances to watch Dunn this year and the guy is a monster and seems to be a great clubhouse kind of guy. I'm amazed he lasted as long as he did as a free agent last year. If he can develop to be a slightly less then average fielding first baseman I hope the Nats lock him for years to come; his problem is he is truly a DH.

Yeah, Adam Dunn is a great player. Never really hits for a high average but makes up for it easily in on-base percentage (with his walks) and slugging percentage. He also quietly puts up very consistent power/on-base numbers every year - hitting 40 or more homeruns in 5 straight seasons (6 straight if he hits 3 more homers this year) and hes pretty much a lock to walk a 100+ times in a year.

The 2 year/$20M deal he got was a steal for Washington.

image posted

LOL! I understand why, but it's still funny to look at.

That is pretty balanced and I never knew he was that good of a defender. I thought Abreu's was cool - I know hes mainly an OBP guy but its cool how his fielding, base-running, and power are all nearly equal. And of course Pujols' chart just blows away everyone. :lol:

These charts remind me of something.. aren't there these type of things in video games? Like those arcade fighting games?

Edited by nmigliore

That is pretty balanced and I never knew he was that good of a defender. I thought Abreu's was cool - I know hes mainly an OBP guy but its cool how his fielding, base-running, and power are all nearly equal. And of course Pujols' chart just blows away everyone. :lol:

These charts remind me of something.. aren't there these type of things in video games? Like those arcade fighting games?

There's a lot of fighting-ish games that use something similar, but the one I recall most was one of the Smackdown games (perhaps Here Comes The Pain) that let you see your characters develop on that scale.

I'm not trying to make a case for Roy Halladay to win the Cy Young because it just wasn't his second half. One of the reasons why? 12 out of his last 15 games have been against the Yankees, Sox, and Rays. Zach Greinke on the other hand has not played the Yankees and Sox once all year and the Rays just twice (winning neither). Obviously Greinke has had his own bad luck, losing 3 hit 1 run 10 K games because his team got shut out, but it's hard to compare pitchers when the discrepancy of teams they pitch against is so high.

Obviously Greinke has been simply incredible against the teams he has faced. I'm not sure if KC has avoided him pitching the top teams or it is simply luck, but thought it was pretty interesting.

isn't there a stat that measures the quality of batters faced? i could have sworn there was but i cant find it.. but if there is, you can use it to compare the quality of hitters halladay and greinke have faced.

if i had to pick the cy young winners right now though it would go to zach greinke for the AL and and tim lincecum for the NL.

I think I found it.. I could be wrong though.

Pitcher : OPP_QUAL_AVG / OPP_QUAL_OBP / OPP_QUAL_SLG / OPP_QUAL_OPS

Roy Halladay : .267 / .344 / .432 / .776

Zach Greinke : .261 / .332 / .420 / .752

so yeah, the edge in the quality of batters faced would go to Halladay, although i dont think thats a significant difference.

Edited by nmigliore

how funny... i could have sworn pedro pitched yesterday. i wonder why beezer isn't here gushing over his 3 inning performance and telling people to lick his balls. :lol:

You still got to lick 'em son. Where were you the past 7 games? -lol @ your post-- Pedro's first lose in 8 starts... and NOW you want to say "ha-ha"? :giggle: Averaging 5 innings logged per game is bad? His 5-1 record... a 1.20 WHIP... 7 walks all year. (and mind you, this is a pitcher 5th on the rotation) These statistics are now poor all of a sudden, due to last night's game? smiley-confused002.gif

He has 2 more games left this season. (Sept. 25th @ Milwaukee -&- Oct. 1st @ Houston) If he can get his ERA down, (to that of what it was last week: 2.87) even if he splits the two games... a 6-2 record coupled with how he's played this season, earns him into the rotation come playoff time.

Continuously stating that you want to lick an old black/mexican's nutsack is starting to creep me out...

Not that there's anything wrong with that :blink:

nah he doesn't mean that.. he wants me and hasan to lick HIS [beezer's] balls because pedro is apparently roy halladay now (well, at least in his mind he is).

Edited by nmigliore

Its amazing how much Brad Lidge has fallen from being the 'perfect closer' in 2008 to as un-perfect as you can get in 2009. And yet the Phillies continue to lie to themselves that hes going to be okay. If the Phillies were smart they would tell Lidge to go home and watch the playoffs on TV. But seriously.. if there is a major weakness on the Phillies that could take them down in the postseason its their closer issues.

Edit: I also forgot to add in the Phillies gave Lidge that awful contract extension last year.. he has nearly 24.5M guaranteed money left on his contract that runs through 2011 with an option for 2012. Yikes.

Relievers are crazy.

Edited by nmigliore

Its amazing how much Brad Lidge has fallen from being the 'perfect closer' in 2008 to as un-perfect as you can get in 2009. And yet the Phillies continue to lie to themselves that hes going to be okay. If the Phillies were smart they would tell Lidge to go home and watch the playoffs on TV. But seriously.. if there is a major weakness on the Phillies that could take them down in the postseason its their closer issues.

Edit: I also forgot to add in the Phillies gave Lidge that awful contract extension last year.. he has nearly 24.5M guaranteed money left on his contract that runs through 2011 with an option for 2012. Yikes.

Relievers are crazy.

Who the hell else is Philly going to throw out there? Madsen is their setup guy, so you could move him to closer, but then what? Happ as setup man? Who do they have in their bullpen that could be expected to play a role as 8th or 9th inning man for the playoffs? Like it or not they're hitched to Lidge for the remainder of the season.

Who the hell else is Philly going to throw out there? Madsen is their setup guy, so you could move him to closer, but then what? Happ as setup man? Who do they have in their bullpen that could be expected to play a role as 8th or 9th inning man for the playoffs? Like it or not they're hitched to Lidge for the remainder of the season.

Brett Myers has some closing experience - he was their closer in 2007 - and he had a solid season that year. Though the problem with him is hes coming back from hip surgery and right now hes been unavailable with some other injury problems.

Ryan Madson would probably make the most sense since hes the best thing they have in that 'pen. Happ should remain in the rotation; hes been one of their best starters (if not the best).

Edited by nmigliore

Brett Myers has some closing experience - he was their closer in 2007 - and he had a solid season that year. Though the problem with him is hes coming back from hip surgery and right now hes been unavailable with some other injury problems.

Ryan Madson would probably make the most sense since hes the best thing they have in that 'pen. Happ should remain in the rotation; hes been one of their best starters (if not the best).

I can't see this happening. Everything I hear has "team sources" trotting out Hamels, Lee, and Blanton as their 3-man rotation (even though I tend to agree that Happ has been a gem for them and is a big reason why they're running away with their division.)

I can't see this happening. Everything I hear has "team sources" trotting out Hamels, Lee, and Blanton as their 3-man rotation (even though I tend to agree that Happ has been a gem for them and is a big reason why they're running away with their division.)

Yeah, I'm just saying what I believe they should do. As you said, they'll probably go with Hamels-Lee-Blanton and add in Pedro if they want to run with 4 starters. I mean its not an awful idea since Happ would upgrade their bullpen and that is their biggest sore-spot right now.

But their main issue in that bullpen is the closer role, and the sooner they figure out Lidge is not going to improve, the better for them.

you never know if Happ or whoever goes to the pen and could be like Hughes is for the Yankees right now, though he doesn't have as good a stuff as Phil, but he could be a lights out set up man and if Myers could find himself again as a closer they could win the series again, but that's a lot of ifs.

You almost have to wonder if that Pujols HR didn't kill Lidge. It could be that he just goes through cycles of being great and awful since he was amazing last year and nothing destroyed him this year, he just came out of the gate awful. He could just be some kind of mental anomaly

you never know if Happ or whoever goes to the pen and could be like Hughes is for the Yankees right now, though he doesn't have as good a stuff as Phil, but he could be a lights out set up man and if Myers could find himself again as a closer they could win the series again, but that's a lot of ifs.

If Happ does go to the bullpen and has success in the setup-role I would be very surprised if they were to leave him there for next year and beyond like the Yankees did with Hughes. Hes already proven he can be a quality starting pitcher at the major league level (granted its 1 season), which is something Hughes never really did. I don't think Happ is a legit #2 starter like his numbers may indicate though, I view him as a pitcher who will settle in to a solid #3 or #4 (I would expect his numbers to come back down to Earth next year).

If Happ does go to the bullpen and has success in the setup-role I would be very surprised if they were to leave him there for next year and beyond like the Yankees did with Hughes. Hes already proven he can be a quality starting pitcher at the major league level (granted its 1 season), which is something Hughes never really did. I don't think Happ is a legit #2 starter like his numbers may indicate though, I view him as a pitcher who will settle in to a solid #3 or #4 (I would expect his numbers to come back down to Earth next year).

Phil was getting better as a starter and has much more potential than Happ, who was never that highly regarded before this year as opposed to Phil formerly being the number pitching prospect (behind Dice K) in 2007. And Phil will not be there next year as Pettite might retire, Wang might not be back and they can try to find somebody else to fill Phil's role but Hughes will definitely be a starter next year

I noticed Lidge pitched in the 7th inning tonight, so it looks like hes out as closer, or at least temporarily he is. He still struggled too - 1 IP, 2 hits, 1 ER.

I think they said they were doing a closer by committee thing and hope they find somebody by the playoffs

Lidge is a perfect example why you should probably never give big money to a closer. Obviously there are a few exceptions like Mo and Trevor Hoffman.

I agree completely with this, although it is very tempting (I was all over the 'Mets gotta sign K-Rod' bandwagon last year, although he had a great track record so he might count as an exception).

Coincidentally, there was an article recently posted on Fangraphs about paying closers - link

Last off-season K-Rod, Kerry Wood and Brian Fuentes were considered to be the cream of the free agent crop for closers. Wood signed for $20.5 M with an $11M vesting option if he finishes 55 games for the Tribe next year. Fuentes signed a two-year, $17.5 million contract w/2011 option. Francisco Rodriguez signed the richest deal of the three, with a 3-year, $37M contract. Other than all three pitchers becoming very rich men last winter, what else do they have in common?

They have all been, by varying degrees, free agent landmines. K-Rod’s peripherals have continued their downward decline. While his ERA looks acceptable enough at 3.36, his FIP has gone up from 2.70 to 3.22 to 3.79 this season over 65 innings pitched. That’s good for 0.6 wins above replacement, worth $2.6 million, a mere fraction of his actual salary.

Meanwhile, the best relievers in the game have either been homegrown, as in the case with Brian Wilson, Andrew Bailey and Jonathan Broxton, or they have basically been freely available talent like Heath Bell or David Aardsma.

Paying a high price for a “proven” closer just isn’t always the greatest idea.

Edited by nmigliore

Lidge is a perfect example why you should probably never give big money to a closer. Obviously there are a few exceptions like Mo and Trevor Hoffman.

Mo obviously but Trevor Hoffman no dice. He's choked in every big moment he's been in whether it be the 98 World Series or even the All star game he choked away for the NL a couple of years ago. A closer's supposed to be a power pitcher and I'm not paying big money for somebody who can't throw 90 mph and his best pitch is a changeup. I've always thought he was overrated and nobody calls him out just because he played in SD and now Milwaukee and nobody cares