Comprehensive Free Agent Signing Thread

njdevil26

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting that they actually found someone to take Tom Preissing off of their hands.

Basically they turned a waiver pickup, a bad singing and a 5th into Ryan Smythe. While Quincey was solid for them, they have so much young talent at d he and the Scuderi signing made him superfluous. Not much risk here for them.

Interesting that they actually found someone to take Tom Preissing off of their hands.

Basically they turned a waiver pickup, a bad singing and a 5th into Ryan Smythe. While Quincey was solid for them, they have so much young talent at d he and the Scuderi signing made him superfluous. Not much risk here for them.

still don't like it. smyth's contract is awful and while the kings have room to take it on, and getting rid of preissing is a plus, quincey is still a valuable asset.

still don't like it. smyth's contract is awful and while the kings have room to take it on, and getting rid of preissing is a plus, quincey is still a valuable asset.

They had to do something to prove their not completely asleep at the wheel for a second year in a row.

At least this options turns some spare parts into something they can market w/Kopi without having to break the bank.

I'm confused. Not that any one-year deal can be a bad signing, because all in all, it's just money... but that can't be the best unless there's a whole lot of awful out there. It's pretty much the Holik deal from last season and no one would have called that one the best deal of July '08.

And as for Captain Canada, but not of his own team.... lol. I bet he'd just let those couple of hundred K go so he didn't have to go on the magical mystery tour that has been his career since. The first time I was really exposed to this guy on a night to night basis, with the Isles, I was not impressed. Not so much with him as a player, but as this vaunted leader. He threw everyone under the bus on the way out when they had fought pretty gamely against Buffalo.

Edited by maxpower

columbus has a ton of cap room for next year, they will be fine.

ovechkin had 4 more years of being an RFA, nash had none. on the open market nash would've gotten 7.8 from toronto easy.

Maybe it is a little too much money but Nash has never had a legit #1 center like a Backstrom. I have no doubt in my mind that if he had a great center he would be hovering around the 50 goal mark perennially.

Maybe it is a little too much money but Nash has never had a legit #1 center like a Backstrom. I have no doubt in my mind that if he had a great center he would be hovering around the 50 goal mark perennially.

But the economics works for Washington in this instance because Backstrom doesn't make first line money yet.

Columbus might have the money now, but it dwindles because of this contract.

Columbus has put too many eggs in this basket for a quality depth team to build off of it.

But the economics works for Washington in this instance because Backstrom doesn't make first line money yet.

Columbus might have the money now, but it dwindles because of this contract.

Columbus has put too many eggs in this basket for a quality depth team to build off of it.

columbus has a ton of money on next year's cap. they still have 14.4 million available. yeah, the year after that they're likely in some trouble with voracek, brassard, and mason all needing raises, but in a falling salary cap environment one has to pick and choose what years one is going to go for a stanley cup.

nash is also the face of their franchise and the only true star they've ever had. losing him would be a massive blow. i think columbus overpaid, but they will get that money back in ticket sales.