Leafs might be close to submitting offer sheet to Kessel

USC09

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=290103

Maybe I should have posted it in the Kessel bidding war post, but anyways nothing is official hence the word might. If the move should happen and only if it happens Leafs will lose 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round pick in 2010 if Bruins fail to match the offer, which I think they will to prevent Kessel from joining a rival.

Same here. You know the 1st round pick is going to be in the top 10.

36 goals in his third nhl season, plus a point a game player in two consecutive playoffs...good luck drafting a player of equal caliber. Phil Kessel is a superstar in the making...Boston will be sorry for years to come if they don't re-sign him.

If I were the Bruins, a team that I don't like with a passion, I would give Kessel what he wants, because he is definitely going to get more than he deserves, but most players do. It would be devastating for them to lose him to a division rival and having him come in and dominate the Bruins like he did the Leafs this past season. He is a versatile forward with good puck management skills. He is definitely a potential all star for the 2011 ASG, which is tentatively scheduled to take place in Phoenix if they don't move to Hamilton.

One good year (especially after a contract year) doesn't guarantee he will be motivated for the future. A risk that I don't want Lou to take and I would rather promote one rookie to center the 2nd line.

Why would Lou promote an unproven rookie to center the second line when he could Zubrus into that role? Sure, Zubrus isn't the ideal second line center, but there are no rookies in the system who would be (yet).

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=290631

It seems like Kessel is through with negotiating with the Bruins and according to his agent will try to sign an offer sheet with one of the other twenty-nine teams. This really improves the Leafs or Sharks chances of getting him now that Heatley is unlikely to get traded this year, so I'll stay on top of that front. Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli intends to match any offer sheet extended to Kessel, but I think with today's activity it seems the B's might have to relinquish him because they have to save money for next year to resign Marc Savard who becomes an UFA. But this will take sometime because Kessel is out til mid-November after having shoulder surgery this summer.

i would not be so sure of this. they sign kessel they pretty much lose savard after this season. it'll be interesting to see how it plays out, though.

the deal would have to hit the second-highest bracket for it to start being worthwhile to let him walk, though.... 2 first, 1 second, 1 third. but would the GM in question be willing to hit that bracket himself, especially with a team that is going to be middling at best, potentially giving those picks to a division rival?

if Burke goes a bracket lower than that, there's not enough for the Bruins to let him walk. if Burke goes to the four first round pick top bracket,

he's certifiable (but since he was chasing down his own second round pick, this can't be the case.)

the deal would have to hit the second-highest bracket for it to start being worthwhile to let him walk, though.... 2 first, 1 second, 1 third. but would the GM in question be willing to hit that bracket himself, especially with a team that is going to be middling at best, potentially giving those picks to a division rival?

if Burke goes a bracket lower than that, there's not enough for the Bruins to let him walk. if Burke goes to the four first round pick top bracket,

he's certifiable (but since he was chasing down his own second round pick, this can't be the case.)

the bruins are at 37.8 million for 10 players in 2010-11, with 3 RFAs. if the leafs offer kessel a 2 year, 9 million dollar deal, back-loaded 3/6, that's going to make life very difficult on boston. the draft picks aren't to be looked at draft picks but for assets in other deals to help them slough off patrice bergeron if they need to do that, for example. i may be overstating boston's salary cap troubles, expiring contracts are certainly not *that* difficult to get rid of.

the bruins are at 37.8 million for 10 players in 2010-11, with 3 RFAs. if the leafs offer kessel a 2 year, 9 million dollar deal, back-loaded 3/6, that's going to make life very difficult on boston. the draft picks aren't to be looked at draft picks but for assets in other deals to help them slough off patrice bergeron if they need to do that, for example. i may be overstating boston's salary cap troubles, expiring contracts are certainly not *that* difficult to get rid of.

oh no, you match that immediately and trade the second year if you have to. that deal is just too small not to match. and the reward to Boston is too stiff for the level of compensation. do you want to trade away your 1 and 3 next season for 4 years of Kessel (2 under this contract and presumably another 2 on the next), if you're the Leafs? I say if you do it, you go for the gold. 5 years/30M (or more years if you please, but you're getting into UFA years which bumps it up) for 1-2-3 compensation. but I think Boston still might match that. basically, the best they can do is get refunded the pick they used on Kessel + a 2 and a 3. and Toronto has to suck to get that refund.

I think it would take a monster deal in the 1-1-2-3 range (and out here, you have to give significant years, you don't sign him to a 4-5 year deal and have him walk on you) to get them to go away. and if you're Burke, do you want Boston having those 2 1's that you really need yourself?