Defense First? Under Lemaire, Devils Are Pushing Offense

Rock

I hope the team understands they're in a really bad habit themselves. It's not Lemaire defending his reputation here.... it' Lemaire talking to his team. This is what I was complaining about and why I was OK with Madden being gone. The team has been slipping into a trap trap and IMO a shoddy one resorted to out of desperation. It was driving me nuts last year. It was too defensive and not good defense. I blamed the defence for sucking too bad for the team to let them defend on their own.

I like the new thinking I hope it continues. I have always said they depend too much on Marty he is their crutch and therefore they sit on leads of 1 or 2 goals or get down if they get behind too much in the first period. If Marty lets in a soft one they have fallen apart. Offense minded fixes all of that. Good defense has always been and always will be a necessity.

Edited by LucifersDog

I'm always in favor of defense, but I would hate to see Parise have to conform to more of a trap player as opposed to one that has 50 goal potiental.

As long as I see Marty hold Lord Stanley's cup over his head in June, I'll be happy.

I'm always in favor of defense, but I would hate to see Parise have to conform to more of a trap player as opposed to one that has 50 goal potiental.

As long as I see Marty hold Lord Stanley's cup over his head in June, I'll be happy.

Nobody is "conforming to a trap player". That's the point of the article. That doesn't even make sense anyway since we've always played some form of the trap.

Dear Everyone Who Was Worried Lemaire Would Kill This Team With Boring Defense-First Hockey,

Please read this article.

Sincerely,

Everyone Else

I'll believe it when I see it; over an 82 game season, plus playoffs. Sutter came out and said he would his first year instead after 9 games he started playing julienball again. Last year he was forced to play offense because their was no Brodeur to lean on. And it's no surprise when Marty got back he tried to win by going into a defensive shell.

I'll believe it when I see it; over an 82 game season, plus playoffs. Sutter came out and said he would his first year instead after 9 games he started playing julienball again. Last year he was forced to play offense because their was no Brodeur to lean on. And it's no surprise when Marty got back he tried to win by going into a defensive shell.

Fair enough. No matter what a coach says, it is up to the players to execute and adapt. But I have a lot more faith in Lemaire's ability to teach, motivate and stick to his guns than that inexperienced turncoat Sutter.

The Devils never played this offensive or aggressive under Sutter at any point, preseason or regular season. It's also a mis-statement to say the Devils played more offense without Marty because they scored the same amount of goals before he left, after he left, and after he came back. The Devils scoring more or playing more offense without Marty is one of those things where belief trumps reality.

I believe you can show the team started to play different near the end of last season around the time Marty. I just went and eyeballed it and it looks like the Devils hit the skids on offense about a month after Marty came back, had a bad week and change, and then finished with a not so bad week and change offensively.

I think what makes a team like Detroit so successful is their ability to be resonsible in their own zone while playing an uptempo creative offensive game. Detroit has been able to win with no clear cut number 1 goalie. I'm hoping we play more of that type of game. Let's let our offensive stars shine. I think Lemaire is definitely the right man for this team and I'm stoked to have him back behind our bench.

Part of having a good offense is having a center who is great defensively because then he can make it easier for the wingers to break out, this is why the ZZ pops line is so great. And by the looks of our center I'm not too worried about any of them, idk about how Elias will do though, we shall see.