Devils by the Numbers...

ThreeCups

The Devs are 27-9-1 through 37 games played. Lets take a look at the overall picture, shall we?

55 PTS 1st in Division/1st in Conference/tied for 1st in LEAGUE with Chicago (38 games played) & San Jose (39 games played).

110 GOALS FOR 2nd in Division/6th in Conference/tied for 13th in LEAGUE with Edmonton (39 games played)

81 GOALS AGAINST 1st in Division/1st in Conference/2nd in LEAGUE (Chicago has 79 GA through 38)

+ 29 GOAL DIFFERENTIAL 1st in Division/2nd in Conference/tied for 3rd in LEAGUE with San Jose (Washington +33, Chicago +38)

Fairly impressive. To be playing at this level with so many young players is beyond all "experts" logic. I thought we would be a solid playoff team, but never in my wildest dreams did I think we would be 1st in the LEAGUE nearly half way through the season! This is a testament to Jacques nurturing the young guys and getting them to step up in whatever roles needed. We know the Devils traditionally are not a very high scoring team. 13th in the league is not bad. Where the Devils do excel: GOALS AGAINST. Only one team has allowed less goals thus far. Another Jennings for Martin Brodeur to add to his mantle? We will see, it is a distinct possibility. Goal differential is a very telling stat to me. We are outscoring our opponents by .78 goals per game. NICE! This includes games that the team lost. This team has played fantastic up to this point. Can we finally win the President's Trophy? Not a huge deal, but it would be nice to see the team win it enroute to the STANLEY CUP! It will be an interesting 2nd half to say the least! Two absolutely HUGE games coming up for our boys. Wednesday vs the Pens, and Thursday @ Chicago. If they can win both of these....WOW.....Cream of the NHL crop for sure. LET'S GO DEVILS!

I think I would rather play the Pens than the Caps....just got a feeling.....

I keep hoping someone plows Crosby or Malkin. I means hits to hurt just like Crosby tried to do against McLean in Florida (by dropping the gloves and attacking a guy who didn't know it was coming while the Pens commentators said that was what the Penguins needed: a good fight) or for his antics about that huge defenseman in Atlanta whom got his personal business punched not once, but twice. I don't like either of them (as they have been pushed down my throat all last year), but Malkin is the better of the two and I think the Penguins do far better when Crosby is NOT in the line-up. Then again, I wouldn't like a teammate who LIVES with the owner (Still!).

I keep hoping someone plows Crosby or Malkin. I means hits to hurt just like Crosby tried to do against McLean in Florida (by dropping the gloves and attacking a guy who didn't know it was coming while the Pens commentators said that was what the Penguins needed: a good fight) or for his antics about that huge defenseman in Atlanta whom got his personal business punched not once, but twice. I don't like either of them (as they have been pushed down my throat all last year), but Malkin is the better of the two and I think the Penguins do far better when Crosby is NOT in the line-up. Then again, I wouldn't like a teammate who LIVES with the owner (Still!).

He STILL lives with Mario? Are you kidding me?

Washington's ability to score at will gives me serious pause. The Penguins, with all their weapons are also equally dangerous. Given the choice, I'd rather face the Penguins because the Caps O scares me. No disrespect to the defending champs, but sheesh, the Caps can put up an insane amount of goals.

Scoops

Washington's ability to score at will gives me serious pause. The Penguins, with all their weapons are also equally dangerous. Given the choice, I'd rather face the Penguins because the Caps O scares me. No disrespect to the defending champs, but sheesh, the Caps can put up an insane amount of goals.

Scoops

My thinking exactly. I would rather face a slightly weaker offense even if they have better goaltending. It seems the Caps can put up goals in bunches in any given game...would feel more confident vs the Caps, but either way the Devils will likely face them both at some point en route to the 2010 STANLEY CUP!

My thinking exactly. I would rather face a slightly weaker offense even if they have better goaltending. It seems the Caps can put up goals in bunches in any given game...would feel more confident vs the Caps, but either way the Devils will likely face them both at some point en route to the 2010 STANLEY CUP!

The cup is far from a given.

Obviously, I am not saying they are gonna win, but I am sure as hell hoping! I think we have a team in place that can make a legitimate run....

Yeah man, I'm with you. That's all I'm hoping for... a legitimate run. Because a long run can do some great things for a team, cup or no cup.

I think Marty has a 1 or 2 more decent runs left in him.

I like this team and think there is a lot going for us this year but Cup talk now is pointless. So much will change in the league from now until April that it is next to impossible to say who will win. I think Pitt was in 10th place in the conference at one point more then halfway through the season last year. A lot changed for them quickly.

Anyways, as good as this team has been I still think the defense needs a stud added to it. Don't get me wrong, I think they have done a great job this year and are underrated as a group. My only concern is that should a major injury happen we might be in some trouble. They have done well without Martin but do you think this level of play is possible in the playoffs with this defense? Its a whole different ball game compared to what they are facing now. I'd just like a little more depth is what I'm saying. Having a big game minute eater on the back end with big game experience would give this team as good a shot as anyone imo. A rock solid anchor on defense would be tremendous. Acquiring that piece on the other hand is a different story.

Edited by SickMan

The cup talk is of course too far away to get too excited about but let's also realize that it's fun to anticipate a playoff run. It's not too much of a stretch to think we'll be in the playoffs at this time. Anything can happen but I'll not contain my excitement. I'm excited about what may come. We have a legit shot at making some serious noise. LETS GO DEVILS.. clap clap......... clap clap clap.

Scoops

The cup talk is of course too far away to get too excited about but let's also realize that it's fun to anticipate a playoff run. It's not too much of a stretch to think we'll be in the playoffs at this time. Anything can happen but I'll not contain my excitement. I'm excited about what may come. We have a legit shot at making some serious noise. LETS GO DEVILS.. clap clap......... clap clap clap.

Scoops

"It's not too much of a stretch to think we'll be in the playoffs at this time." UNDERSTATEMENT OF THE CENTURY! Barring a severe calamity (the team plane crashing with everyone in it), THIS TEAM WILL BE IN THE PLAYOFFS!

"It's not too much of a stretch to think we'll be in the playoffs at this time." UNDERSTATEMENT OF THE CENTURY! Barring a severe calamity (the team plane crashing with everyone in it), THIS TEAM WILL BE IN THE PLAYOFFS!

Knock on wood

WOW, talk about pessimistic...

Well.. we have a young team that may not do as well in the playoffs.. No reason to believe that now, but with so many rookies it has a chance.. We also haven't made it out of the 1st round in a while, so I think in general our fans don't want to get their hopes up.. I mean San Jose was great all last season and then bombed in the playoffs

Still though, you don't buy a lottery ticket expecting to win.. You buy it because it allows you to dream about winning.. And the dream is good B )

i prefer realist. after last seasons team failing to go on a deep run that they showed they should've all year long, i have 0 expectations. I'm still not sold on lemaire either as everyboey else is. give him a full season and playoffs to determine how he's doing

Wouldn't a realist try to take all the information on hand and extrapolate that forward while a pessimist would give no credit to the information he has and worry that it's all been useless in guessing anything towards the future play?

Wouldn't a realist try to take all the information on hand and extrapolate that forward while a pessimist would give no credit to the information he has and worry that it's all been useless in guessing anything towards the future play?

My thinking....Seems like a very pessimistic view to me. The team has done great so far, and I see no reason to think they will completely tank it. Lemaire is head and shoulders about Sutter...the team seems to have the swagger that they have lacked in the past. I think the Devs will go to the ECF at the least this year....honest prediction/expectation.

My thinking....Seems like a very pessimistic view to me. The team has done great so far, and I see no reason to think they will completely tank it. Lemaire is head and shoulders about Sutter...the team seems to have the swagger that they have lacked in the past. I think the Devs will go to the ECF at the least this year....honest prediction/expectation.

For me, I think it's really hard to figure out how far teams will go in the playoffs. Even the best playoff teams aren't so enormously better than the ones they're playing that it's a guarantee to win any series. So really, even if I think the Devils should win a series I know there is still a fairly decent chance they'll lose it.