Will Kovalchuk Remain with Devils?

Bryan

I would love to sign kovy, but if it's beetween him and zach parise, I take zach parise anytime, any place.

I know it's been said a lot in here but, salary cap talking, how could we afford parise AND kovalchuk?

Could somebody explain this to me please!

I know parise will be RFA so we have a big big chance to sign him but...

Edited by Devs3cups

I know it's been said a lot in here but, salary cap talking, how could we afford parise AND kovalchuk?

Could somebody explain this to me please!

How can Pittsburgh afford both Crosby and Malkin? How can Washington afford Ovechkin, Backstrom, and Semin? It's essentially the same concept, and those teams pull it off fine (one a Stanley Cup last year, the other a Presidents Trophy this year). Bottom line, if you want to, you can. You just have to sacrifice some other priorities to stay under the cap, but as just mentioned, a team can still be successful with a few superstars and role players around them.

How can Pittsburgh afford both Crosby and Malkin? How can Washington afford Ovechkin, Backstrom, and Semin? It's essentially the same concept, and those teams pull it off fine (one a Stanley Cup last year, the other a Presidents Trophy this year). Bottom line, if you want to, you can. You just have to sacrifice some other priorities to stay under the cap, but as just mentioned, a team can still be successful with a few superstars and role players around them.

Can't argue with you!!

The one difference is that the Devils have Brian Rolston's contract. If his contract was a 2-3 million cap hit, I'd say the Devils have a great opportunity in making Parise and Kovalchuk the heart of the team. I'm sure Lou is weighing whether or not the cost of Kovy's contract will balance with the increase in ticket sales he brings.

The one difference is that the Devils have Brian Rolston's contract. If his contract was a 2-3 million cap hit, I'd say the Devils have a great opportunity in making Parise and Kovalchuk the heart of the team. I'm sure Lou is weighing whether or not the cost of Kovy's contract will balance with the increase in ticket sales he brings.

Doesn't every team have that one contract they wish they could get rid of? Our is Rolston...the Rangers have Redden (and a few others). I'm sure if you talk to a Caps fan, they have a player they wish they could get rid of this offseason because of his cap hit.

Well written and well thought out article. But I think we'd all agree that between Parise and Kovalchuck, the choice has to be Parise. More well rounded player, digs and plays hard on every single shift, actually showed he could be dangerous and responsible on the PK - and he's younger.

A point I take issue with is this quote she clearly took out of context from Chere's article: “Ilya Kovalchuk’s freewheeling individual freedom and quarterbacking on the power play did not sit well with others.”

The players weren't upset with Kovalchuck - they were upset with Lemaire and his decision to let him play every single second of every single PP and to make sure the puck was on his stick as often as possible. We saw how well that worked out (4 for infinity in the first round).

Yes, Both Zach AND Ilya will be Devils next year ++. Lou will figure out some cool deal Ilya will love. Ilya will become a huge part og Devils history, and he will be the reason Brody will go for another couple years beyond this contract. Just to win that 7th cup!!!

DRINK UP BITCHES!@!!!@@!@!!@!!!! koolaid.gif

Doesn't every team have that one contract they wish they could get rid of? Our is Rolston...the Rangers have Redden (and a few others). I'm sure if you talk to a Caps fan, they have a player they wish they could get rid of this offseason because of his cap hit.

Compared with the Pens, they don't have a contract like Rolston, who is depth 3rd line veteran, who shouldn't be making more than 3 mil.

Sign Kovie trade Zach for Malkin.  Malkin Kovy line something something profit.

Yeah? Well Kovie/Malkin/Ovie line would net more $$'s then that even!!!