Tsn Says Nieuwy To Leafs!!!

Elias Sports Bureau

WOW WOW WOW, Berglunds hockey sence is one of his positives. The guy see's the ice great. He also has above average speed. He did a good job on the top line two years ago when Arnott was out with contract problems.

Why did he spend the latter half of the year in Albany?

The coaching staff is incredibly frustrated by Berglund. And so am I.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

ESB, Marshall is not a damn 1st liner nor should he bring Elias's and Gomez's talents down with him. I'm throwing other possible youngsters that could fill the gap. I don't think Marshall will play a full season on that line. Get an offensive player to play with Elias and Gomez. Suglobov just came to my head and he has plenty of offense. The guy got 3 goals for Russia in the WC this past spring. I know he is a rookie but try him out in training camp.

What I am saying is not to limit youself with one top line going into training camp, there may be better possibilities.

The fact is, Gionta scored ONE goal the entire playoffs, and a very fluky one at that. He shot a lot of pucks into chests and blew a lot of chances. In my estimation he's possibly the most expendable player on the roster. He'll have to show a scoring touch or he might be waiver wire fodder if Berglund ever shows himself to be any good.

Suglobov is very unlikely to make the NHL much less this season much less on the first line.

I'd rather go with the trial by fire from Rupp, Sarge.. give him 10 games in that 2nd line center role. If he can't hack it, get a vet center.

Gionta's a great character guy. He makes a great Devil and has lots of energy and always tries. What would really help him is learning to do what Sarge did... to stay on his skates when he's being bounced around. He isn't that strong yet.

I think he's expendable though as well. This is a role that can be easily filled, unfortunately. We already have three on the roster -- Brylin and Bicek. Gionta's offense is better than Brylin's, but his role can't be offense because he's not a Martin St. Louis type. Brylin succeeds because he's so very smart about what he does and stays on his skates. Bicek would be the third, because Gionta DOES have some value.

ESB, Marshall is not a damn 1st liner nor should he bring Elias's and Gomez's talents down with him. I'm throwing other possible youngsters that could fill the gap. I don't think Marshall will play a full season on that line. Get an offensive player to play with Elias and Gomez. Suglobov just came to my head and he has plenty of offense. The guy got 3 goals for Russia in the WC this past spring. I know he is a rookie but try him out in training camp.

What I am saying is not to limit youself with one top line going into training camp, there may be better possibilities.

You watched the postseason, but didn't see.

Elias and Gomez got better not worse. Because someone... created... room... for... them... to... do... so.

I know too much about Burns to ever think a line is rock solid. However, this is the one I'm most looking forward to seeing.

And when the Elias and Gomez totals prove that, we'll discuss it again.

Gionta's a great character guy. He makes a great Devil and has lots of energy and always tries. What would really help him is learning to do what Sarge did... to stay on his skates when he's being bounced around. He isn't that strong yet.

Except that he never will be as strong as Brylin. He gives up too much height to have that kind of muscle mass on him. For Gionta to reach that kind of strength he would be over his max play weight and could potentially hurt the rest of his game. It would just be bulk for the sake of bulk. THe guys is barely 5'7" and is supposedly 175, there isnt much more room for improvement there.

Yeah, ESB, I understand that, but he just doesn't do enough.. what's he good at, right now? Constantine had him killing penalties, but Burns doesn't. He's not a great PP player. He doesn't finish enough of his chances to be a scorer. It's just hard to see where he fits in. Even Bicek can play both wings and is stronger on his skates.

Get it through your heads that the first line is not made out in gold. All I am trying to say is there are other possiblities. I think there are other posiblities better then an Elias - Gomez - Marshall line. Mine is to break up Elias and Gomez. They have no chemistry and have been together for a full season. Gomez plays well with Brylin so keep them together. Since lines don't mean too much in NJ and the first line isn't exactly the first, here are my lines I proposed last year with Rasmussen replacing McKenzie.

Friesen - Gomez - Brylin

Elias - Madden - Langenbrunner

Pandolfo - Rupp - Gionta

Stevenson - Rasmussen - Marshall

fvcking dickhead! Argh.

NJay, if you were in the NHL as long as Nieuwendyk has been, and you got a chance to play with the team you grew up rooting for (remember, you've just arrived at college and your 4,000+ posts say something about how much you like the Devils), wouldn't you want to play for them?

He's not a dickhead at all. If I ever was in the NHL and ever got to play for the Devils, I would take it. It is the same way with Joe and the Leafs.

I thought he would sign with TO July 1st, to be honest. I didn't really think he'd be coming back.

Best of luck Joe. Hope you enjoy your stay with the Leafs - bleeding blue doesn't change easily, eh?

i wouldn't say gionta is more skilled than brylin. brylin's skill with the puck is overlooked imo. the thing gionta does well is he makes safe plays but, for a supposed "skill" player, he makes alot of inconsequential plays......rarely does his effort result in a goal. as triumph said, he can basically be replaced with bicek.

I think the Elias - Madden - Langenbrunner line was tryed in the post season when we were looking for a goal.

Brylin - Holik - Gomez line was the hottest line in the 2nd half till Gomez' injury two years ago. I figured Friesen adds enough size to that line.

Third line isn't that best line, maybe Rasmussen would be better then Rupp.

That would leave Stevenson - Rupp - Marshall on the 4th line......ewwwww

i wouldn't say gionta is more skilled than brylin. brylin's skill with the puck is overlooked imo. the thing gionta does well is he makes safe plays but, for a supposed "skill" player, he makes alot of inconsequential plays......rarely does his effort result in a goal. as triumph said, he can basically be replaced with bicek.

No they arn't

Elias is a lw, madden a center langenbrunner a rw

Brylin plays all positions, friesen is a lw, gomez is a center

Pandolfo is a lw, rasmussen is a lw/c, gionta is a rw

Stevenson is a lw, rupp is a c, marshall is a rw

Yeah, I know, I'm not exactly saying that the right way.

But like I did say, out of those three, Sarge is by FAR the best and most valuable to us.

Gionta has something on offense over Bicek. But like previously said, he was also hitting a lot of goalie's chests this year. But there's a value there that we can use to get something for him if we need to.

And those lines have 2 players playing on their off-wing, Madden and Pandolfo broken up, and Gomez setting up Friesen and Brylin, what I find to be a wretched combination. 

Those would look quite good in NHL2004.

Gomez was on a line with Friesen adn Gionta at the start of last year, nice try, Gomez also has good chemistry with Brylin, remember. You are just to stiff for changes.

Quoted the wrong person, that was for Triumph

Madden and Pandolfo have to be broken up some time, they will still be on the same PK.

I really don't understand some of your reasoning. Your breaking up of things just to break them up doesn't ring true.

Like why would Madden and Pando need to be broken up sometime. Again, they combined for offense also this season as Madden had his best offensive numbers yet. Pando's were great in the postseason until he broke his thumb as well.

Subbing in Friesen for Holik... well, you got two TOTALLY different players, who work and think differently there. There's not the remotest thing alike. And the Friesen-Gomez thing, well that was working even less than you accuse the Elias-Gomez thing of working.

Again, I'll say no one thinks anything is set in stone or gold or whatever. But guess what, the lines that were together throughout the playoffs won the Stanley Cup in an effort where people were contributing across the board. So I think they're pretty solid.

Gomez and Friesen were given 10 games at the start of the year to mesh, they didn't then they put Gomez with Elias. I didn't say Firsen was like Holik, I said he adds enough size so it wouldn't be a smurf line.

Give me a couple reason why Gomez and Elias should be kept together. What have they done that was so special that allows them to stay together. I am just bringing up other line possibilities.

Anyone can make the team and change Burns mind, if a player like Pihlman has an amazng camp that could change the lines. Right now Marshall may be the best choice with Elias adn Gomez but I am willing to bet that will change by the end of training camp.

I'll take the bet. Obviously, we understand all that about lines. We're not nouveau fans.

But I appreciate you taking my mind off Nieuwy. I didn't dwell very long because of our discussion.