Tsn Says Nieuwy To Leafs!!!

Elias Sports Bureau

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Oates was shut down ESB, but that's because he was up against the top checkers. He's not the kind of pivot that can produce in that situation anymore (and seeing his past history, maybe he never could). Playmaking centers tend not to do well in the playoffs, just look at Gomez, whose playoff PPG is well below his regular season numbers.

But Oates will make Friesen and Langenbrunner better. If he's not working out by March, we could always acquire another center and put Oates in the press box.

Again I don't like the Oates idea either but I don't like Mike Rupp, Sergei Brylin, or whatever else as 2nd line center. The best option to me at this point is to move Madden up to the 2nd line, re-sign Rheaume, and use Rheaume as the checking center. This is a gross waste of Madden's ability, but at least the 2nd line would be offensively viable.

I thought about him sundstrom, I was going to put his name here, but I don't think the Habs would be open to dealing him unless he runs afoul of new management. I also think he's very streaky and his effort tends to decrease come playoff time. A unique player, but Yanic we don't need.

WOW WOW WOW, Berglunds hockey sence is one of his positives. The guy see's the ice great. He also has above average speed. He did a good job on the top line two years ago when Arnott was out with contract problems.

ABOVE AVERAGE SPEED !?!?!?!?!?!?

From the only guy in NHL history who made it the pros without BEING ABLE TO SKATE ?? Someone's overdosed on the Kool-Aid... my fat self skates as well as Leadfoot !!

Gionta's too small to be effective in the East (re: Steve Sullivan)

maybe Lou thinks Foster is ready.. when I saw him in camp last year he kinda reminded

me of Gomez...

would be nice to see Pascal back too personally

and I still have another 15 posts to read :P

damn me for going out yesterday !!!

I think Gomez will do better with a grinder on the left side and a sniperon the right.

Elias does better with a big center and a all round offensive player on the right.

Look familiar.

well gee .... let's make this simple...

Marshall = grinder

Gomez = play maker

Berglund = scrub

Gionta = midget

wow.. I pent up anger just reading throguh his posts :P

and it's spelled d-e-l-e-t-e !!!!!!!!

go play the video games since it's what you build your lines for !!!

Tri, I agree with you that we're likely going to need some help at center. But I'm not ready to dismiss Rupp. He may be ready to take on a significant role. I don't care what he did or didn't do with the Islanders, his age or any of that. With Joe gone, he has an opportunity. Let's see what he does with it.

Sometimes players make the most of their opportunity, and they turn into extremely valuable pieces of the puzzle. See Bobby Holik.

I think Gomez will do better with a grinder on the left side and a sniperon the right.

Elias does better with a big center and a all round offensive player on the right.

Look familiar.

well gee .... let's make this simple...

Marshall = grinder

Gomez = play maker

Berglund = scrub

Gionta = midget

wow.. I pent up anger just reading throguh his posts :P

and it's spelled d-e-l-e-t-e !!!!!!!!

go play the video games since it's what you build your lines for !!!

Want a tissue baby, lines have to start out somewhere. I think Elias and Gomez are done, some guy who never played the game before is not going to change my opinion, go play baseball, you sure know nothing about hockey biatch.

Triumph, Rupp will never make it in this organization also, too many high quality centers coming up. Vrana, Khomutov, Foster (if healthy), and Parise will all leap french him in the future. He doesn't have the speed, Balance, or mean streak to be a great PF in the league.

WOW WOW WOW, Berglunds hockey sence is one of his positives. The guy see's the ice great. He also has above average speed. He did a good job on the top line two years ago when Arnott was out with contract problems.

ABOVE AVERAGE SPEED !?!?!?!?!?!?

From the only guy in NHL history who made it the pros without BEING ABLE TO SKATE ?? Someone's overdosed on the Kool-Aid... my fat self skates as well as Leadfoot !!

Gionta's too small to be effective in the East (re: Steve Sullivan)

maybe Lou thinks Foster is ready.. when I saw him in camp last year he kinda reminded

me of Gomez...

would be nice to see Pascal back too personally

and I still have another 15 posts to read :P

damn me for going out yesterday !!!

Foster can't survive the brutal game that is called the AHL, how do you expect his glass frame to withstand a season in the NHL.

IWant a tissue baby, lines have to start out somewhere. I think Elias and Gomez are done, some guy who never played the game before is not going to change my opinion, go play baseball, you sure know nothing about hockey biatch.

[/quote}

Crasher knows nothing about hockey, huh?

Jeezus, I can't even answer it, it's so funny.

He's watched every damn Devils game and recapped it for five years. He knows subtleties that you can't imagine while you're creating the most outrageous lines I've ever seen on this board (which is some feat, I gotta credit you there).

I think he has a pretty good feel for the team. I'd listen to what he has to say, even if you don't agree with it.

And yeah, he also plays too.

Does this kinda stuff fly on HF?

Outrageous, name me one of my comboes that was outrageous. All have players in the right position, playing with players they are comfortable with. I don't see whats wrong there. Becasue I split up the "deadly" duo of Gomez and Elias I get bashed, I follow every hockey team, not only NJ and NJ has the weakest top line maybe in the league. No chemistry or production. Lucky for them that one line was always hot throughout the playoffs and we have Brodeur.

He can watch all the hockey he wants, untill you play it you don't know nothing. He thinks Foster can play in the NHL....lol

As I said, he does play. Regularly.

And you CAN tell a lot about THIS team by watching every game. By watching the nuances. Watching the matchups. Seeing what comes of certain things.

And the Devils obviously think Foster can play, since he was their top draft pick. So we'll wait and see what he looks like before making any definitive statement there.

Outrageous, name me one of my comboes that was outrageous. All have players in the right position, playing with players they are comfortable with. I don't see whats wrong there. Becasue I split up the "deadly" duo of Gomez and Elias I get bashed, I follow every hockey team, not only NJ and NJ has the weakest top line maybe in the league. No chemistry or production. Lucky for them that one line was always hot throughout the playoffs and we have Brodeur.

Outrageous is throwing guys who haven't had one game in the NHL on the top line. Outrageous is splitting up Madden and Pandolfo, because they have to go sometime. Why do they have to be split sometime? Because some day, one of those guys might not be on the team?

They are the checking line. Remember when Madden tried to fill Mogilny's shoes. He had a very rough year. He's not going to move up to an upper tier line. He's the perfect checking go-to guy. And that's where he's gonna stay.

You keep focusing on Gomez and Elias. They're not set in stone. Esp. if we got a first or second-liner somewhere down the line. But under what we have at present, they're a good combo that likes working together and has something that neither of them found with anyone else currently on the team.

You seem to notice that those two didn't step it up until the two final series, but don't seem to notice that it was because Marshall got time and space for them to do so. On a top line, all three guys have to have a reason for being there -- something they're contributing.

Most of your own lines even had those two still together. With Gionta, Berglund or the other guy.

Tell us what Gionta gives that line. Basically if they don't get something done on the breakway, that's it. The puck is out of the zone. That's no way for a top line to create offense.

Tell us what Berglund gives that line. The coaches were constantly frustrated by the number one thing that you can do to get on the bad side of the staff -- not hustling back on defense.

The topic of this thread was interesting until one reads the posts...same crap same people just another season (not even)...people are entitled to their opinions regardless of what others think...it is ok for some of you to get nasty and personal with REGULAR posters yet deal me crap when I go after STRANGERS...some of you think you know so much because you watched hockey for less than 10 yrs???????? Or because you are supposedly in the journalism field????? Get off yer high horses and let others feel the way they want to...ya don't agree that is fine but you are not above anyone when it gets personal...hanging around during practice doesn't make one an expert either...neither does being a rink rat :soap:

OK...back to the topic...Nieuwy to the Leafs...I wish you were still a Devil however so be it Joe...you have attained just about all you can in the active world and one day you will be in the HHOF...you have the right to move around at this point in your career...no demands just decisions and pure class...if it makes you happy then go for it :D

As for the Devils...last year around this time we were sunk because we traded Sykora for some Ducks....then the Quacks weren't what people expected and then we sucked, were never going anywhere, needed to make big trades and all that was conviently forgotten in June...this year tho we haven't even started camp and all this negativity about losing a faceoff man...maybe Oates is the answer and maybe not...how about we give them the benefit of the doubt...I for one am estactic we are starting camp with no holdouts for a change :D

btw...any ETA on the ignore button :pray:

They are not a good combo, I don't know how many times I will have to say this, Gomez likes setting up the player on the right side, thats why Friesen or Elias didn't work with Gomez. But Mogilny did. Give him a fairly decent rw that can score, maybe Langenbrunner. I didn't see them together yet. Think outside your little bubble of good thoughts. Devils won the cup with this lineup last year, they won't beat Ottawa this time around. Ottawa is better, NJ loses some key players too. We have to improve, not stand still, gettting some constant scoring out of Elias is my main priority.

Outrageous is throwing guys who haven't had one game in the NHL on the top line. Outrageous is splitting up Madden and Pandolfo, because they have to go sometime. Why do they have to be split sometime? Because some day, one of those guys might not be on the team?

They are the checking line. Remember when Madden tried to fill Mogilny's shoes. He had a very rough year. He's not going to move up to an upper tier line. He's the perfect checking go-to guy. And that's where he's gonna stay.

You keep focusing on Gomez and Elias. They're not set in stone. Esp. if we got a first or second-liner somewhere down the line. But under what we have at present, they're a good combo that likes working together and has something that neither of them found with anyone else currently on the team.

You seem to notice that those two didn't step it up until the two final series, but don't seem to notice that it was because Marshall got time and space for them to do so. On a top line, all three guys have to have a reason for being there -- something they're contributing.

Most of your own lines even had those two still together. With Gionta, Berglund or the other guy.

Tell us what Gionta gives that line. Basically if they don't get something done on the breakway, that's it. The puck is out of the zone. That's no way for a top line to create offense.

Tell us what Berglund gives that line. The coaches were constantly frustrated by the number one thing that you can do to get on the bad side of the staff -- not hustling back on defense.

The other guy is Suglobov, who played for Team Russia at the WC this past fall and scored 3 goals, I guess you don't follow much hockey outside NJ.

The topic of this thread was interesting until one reads the posts...same crap same people just another season (not even)...people are entitled to their opinions regardless of what others think...it is ok for some of you to get nasty and personal with REGULAR posters yet deal me crap when I go after STRANGERS...some of you think you know so much because you watched hockey for less than 10 yrs????????

yeah nine years recapping... 200 plus games in person not to mention all

13 playoff home games.. and if there was anything I learned in all the years

of goalie abuse I've suffered it's goal talent .. but hey...at least he didn't

say I was a Marlins fan :P

I'd say more but he's prlly too busy reading my recaps page anyway :D

Chrstian Berglund in my semi-qualifed opinon is the worst prospect we've

let hit the NHL ice since Kevin Dean.. and all I said about Foster is he looked

and moved like Scott Gomez in last year's camp.. the last guy who caught

my eye like that was that lil known Rafalski guy.. but hey.. I'll end it now

and let my track record speak volumes on itself :)

but next time you want me to play another sport... make it football please

baseball is as dry as your comebacks :evil:

You have no stats to prove Elias and Gomez were good together. They were almost outscored by players on the 2nd and 3rd lines throughout the regular season. Last time I checked the first line was suppost to bring alot more offense then 2nd liners.

Also Gomez shouldn't be even playing center, the guy plays better on the right side, it has been said hundreds of times. He is too small to be a center and he is horrible on faceoffs. Maybe if Guolla and Rupp step up as 4th adn 2nd line centers Gomez can play the right side.

They are not a good combo, I don't know how many times I will have to say this, Gomez likes setting up the player on the right side, thats why Friesen or Elias didn't work with Gomez. But Mogilny did. Give him a fairly decent rw that can score, maybe Langenbrunner. I didn't see them together yet. Think outside your little bubble of good thoughts. Devils won the cup with this lineup last year, they won't beat Ottawa this time around. Ottawa is better, NJ loses some key players too. We have to improve, not stand still, gettting some constant scoring out of Elias is my main priority.

You're going in a lot of directions, but I am too. You say Elias and Gomez are not a good combo, but a lot of your suggested lines in this post alone had them together.

Sorry if I didn't have Suglobov's stats at the ready for you. Yes, I do watch a lot of hockey. No, I didn't see the WC. I think full-time Devils hockey (and watching Center Ice a lot at all other times) is probably about enough of that for me. I mean look how strident I am about things with that much hockey.

There aren't many guys who will come out of camp and make the Devils top two lines is what my point was. If this happens this year, and Suglobov does, then that's something I'll have learned and certainly someone I'm interested in seeing.

I'm not as tied down to the lines as you think I am. It seems that way because I was making some certain points.

You have no stats to prove Elias and Gomez were good together. They were almost outscored by players on the 2nd and 3rd lines throughout the regular season. Last time I checked the first line was suppost to bring alot more offense then 2nd liners.

Also Gomez shouldn't be even playing center, the guy plays better on the right side, it has been said hundreds of times. He is too small to be a center and he is horrible on faceoffs. Maybe if Guolla and Rupp step up as 4th adn 2nd line centers Gomez can play the right side.

Well, they weren't outscored by the other players on the other lines, though. So there's a stat right there. They both spent a great deal of the year being switched around, with all kinds of players -- a lot of them fourth liners.

Elias was the top point getter in the Finals. Gomez was involved in I think all but one of these points. That's pretty critical to us getting the Cup. But both their productions went down because Burns' system was even more defensively oriented than the defensive system that went before.

I don't know if we'll get to see Marshall with them this year. But if we did, I would expect the point totals for both of them to go up. I don't think they'll be career highs, but yes, I'd think they'd be better.

If Larionov is true, well that could signal a change, and a breakup of that line. Maybe Friesen and Gomez would get another go, who knows what lurks in the mind of Burns.

Well Gomez playing right is a totally different kettle of fish. He seems to have a mind-set against it. He played pretty poorly when not playing center last year, but I think he was left wing instead of right for that time.