Tsn Says Nieuwy To Leafs!!!

Elias Sports Bureau

Quoted the wrong person, that was for Triumph

Madden and Pandolfo have to be broken up some time, they will still be on the same PK.

I really don't understand some of your reasoning. Your breaking up of things just to break them up doesn't ring true.

Like why would Madden and Pando need to be broken up sometime. Again, they combined for offense also this season as Madden had his best offensive numbers yet. Pando's were great in the postseason until he broke his thumb as well.

Subbing in Friesen for Holik... well, you got two TOTALLY different players, who work and think differently there. There's not the remotest thing alike. And the Friesen-Gomez thing, well that was working even less than you accuse the Elias-Gomez thing of working.

Again, I'll say no one thinks anything is set in stone or gold or whatever. But guess what, the lines that were together throughout the playoffs won the Stanley Cup in an effort where people were contributing across the board. So I think they're pretty solid.

Well in order to get Elias and Gomez to their old selves you have to break up lines, that should be Burn's main priority, to get those two going. I think prospects from within the system will be the key too.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Give me a couple reason why Gomez and Elias should be kept together. What have they done that was so special that allows them to stay together. I am just bringing up other line possibilities.

Hmmm, well, OK. Elias led the team in scoring. Gomez led the team in assists. Most of them came off working together. So there's one.

Also Elias is a first-line left wing. Gomez is a second-line center on a team with no first-line center. They do have some kind of feel for each other. The Elias goals with Gomez as primary assist in the playoffs show that. The problem is when they try to get too fancy -- well that's another thing Marshall's presence keeps them from having to do.

OK, had some time to step back and so I'm stepping up again. Got a bit wrapped up in personal soapboxes and off the general issue.

Of course without Nieuwy in the lineup, there's a lot of things up for grabs. The first question is are the Devils going to get someone to replace him. If not, well then yeah, maybe the lines will be broken up if Rupp or Brylin can't fill the hole.

Maybe Elias will be tried at center again, although I think his lowest production of the year was when that was going on and Gomez played with Friesen and Elias with Bicek and Gionta or whomever, just guys who weren't going to be able to help him do what he needed to -- and he was being double-teamed because other teams knew that was the case.

We found something really good in Elias-Gomez-Marshall at the end of the year. Yeah, it was unexpected, cause Marsh isn't a first-liner. But take a look at what he brought those linemates. It was more than just the physical presence. The passes were amazing.

It's like with Langenbrunner. He was a trademark third-liner until he got here. Played some with Elias and Nieuwy on the top line and then he and Joe settled into the second line, with him also doing work on our wondrous checking line.

I don't think anyone will make the higher-up lines out of camp. The Devils' system is such that it doesn't allow too much for this, with any measure of success. There are exceptions, say Gomez (but we were expecting that) and Rafalski (considered the top hockey player not in the NHL when he joined). But I'd be surprised by any of the names attending camp doing that.

It shows you that the Rupps and the Berglunds need the time to acclimatize and the Devils need the chance to see if they're right for the job. Cause for every Elias that'll become something you didn't expect, there are a Salomonsson or two that are not gonna work.

So we'll see. We'll see what the organization does and how Burns works with it. It'll be interesting no matter what.

I hadn't thought about that, Joe will see the banner lifted and feel that NJ Devil pride one last time. Joe got what any player could ever hope to get from a team, THE CUP and the Devils got what they needed to win it from Joe. All in all I'd say a damn good year for both.

LETS GO DEVILS!

A trade will definately happen, but not until November or December if we know Lam's like I think we do.

Right now, no matter how you dice up the forwards, centers at center, wings playing center, goalies playing center, it really does not matter since there's not ONE on our roster who'll win more than 35% of their faceoffs. That kills your power play, and gets you scored against on the penalty kill or any other defensive zone draws (I think we've seen that all too clearly over the past playoffs).

Rupp will not be a top line center, ever. Let's be real there.

Rasmussen will not be a top line center, ever - the sabres and the kings both have let him walk for little or no return, that's not the same as say the red wings, or the devils (i.e., lou dumping quality young d-men prospects to fill a playoff roster) dealing from depth.

Rhueame will never be a top line center. Come on people. He played with heart and determination, but let's be realistic, he's struggled to stay in the nhl his entire career.

Gomez needs to learn how to win a draw. Plain and simple. Get him a coach for it.

Foster (since someone had mentioned him earlier), hasn't played more than 15 or 20 games a year for over 3 years now. I would not expect to see him don a devils sweater any time after training camp - he's destined for a full season in the ahl, learning how to play the game again.

Madden is about our best right now. I love mad dog. But if he's the best center on this team right now, what does that really say about this team? It says that Lou will be trading for a faceoff winner, but as he always does, Lou will trade from a position of stregnth, not in a panic move. He'll wait. He'll see if people step up. He'll figure out where he's got a glut of extra talent, then he'll find a match for it, a team out west with a good center but some missing peice that lou has extras of (bicek, gionta, berglund et al). End of November through middle of December is the time that we'll get a new center.

RBDF, I agree with most everything you said, but I would hold off judgment on Michael Rupp. He might not ever be a top-line center, but I think it's too early to say for sure. You had to like what you saw in Game 7. That's just one game, but it wasn't just any game.

About the faceoff issue, yeah, that could be a problem. I'd rather not see Adam Oates here, though. Then who? I don't know.

Neuwy wasn't Mr. Young himself though Moustic, he's 37 today I believe. Isn't Oates the same age?

ouch !

i believe that Oates was something like 40/41...

ok i didn't say anything

"these are not the droides that you seek"

(mmm.. i'm not a good copy of Obiwan Kenobi... )

Oates is older, but he's had less injury problems over the years.. yes he's been injured but not with major surgeries involved.

Game 7 was an aberration for Rupp, the fact that he was coming in having rested for 2 months while the rest of the guys were playing double overtimes etc. Of course I liked what I saw from him, but come on Jerry, there was a reason why this guy was drafted 9th overall by the Islanders and it's because of what we saw in Game 7. Everyone knows he has a great deal of talent. The reason why he wasn't offered a contract by the Islanders is because of what we saw in Games 5-26 of his NHL career. I just don't see him developing as a Devil. I'd love to see him do that. But it will take a lot of time and might not pay off.

I agree rbdf, he waited to finally nab Marshall on the 2nd to last day of trading and he was the piece we needed up front. He won't overpay for Oates, if he's interested in him. I am just afraid that this lack of depth will hurt us a lot early, because we already A: don't have the most talented squad and B: every team will play their best against us.

I wasn't crazy about Oates' heart in the playoffs. The only success he had against us was in the faceoff circle. It did pay off in some instances, but other than that he was totally shut down. And so I don't think Lou will pay Oates' kind of money just for faceoffs. He's scouring the stats and looking for some guy with that kind of percentage who can be gotten more easily.

If we're getting a Duck, it should be Rob Nieds! ;)