Zach Parise

Jas0nMacIsaac

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What was Morrow, in his first year with Dallas when they won the cup, It was a reduced role but Rookies give life to a team, Spezza almost beat us out last year.

Morrow wasn't on the Cup team. 2000 was his rookie year, and he had a good year on a team that was woefully short on talented/healthy wingers.

...Rookies give life to a team, Spezza almost beat us out last year.

I personally disagree here. Spezza really didn't beat us out last year. He performed well in one game when the Devils had not had a look at him previously... check out his performance in Game 7 when the Devils D knew to key in on him and not just take him for granted.

I personally disagree here. Spezza really didn't beat us out last year. He performed well in one game when the Devils had not had a look at him previously... check out his performance in Game 7 when the Devils D knew to key in on him and not just take him for granted.

Of course, it's hard for a player to beat a team when he only got into 3 games. However, I disagree with you on Game 7. In his limited ice-time, Spezza's line buzzed during portions of that game. You could see the instincts he has. I think Spezza is going to have a big year.

Spezza bulks up, impresses Ottawa teammates

OTTAWA -- For every goal Jason Spezza scores this season, credit Maple Leafs forward Gary Roberts with an assist.

When Spezza arrived at the Ottawa Senators' training camp several weeks ago, his teammates discovered the stringbean had bulked up during the summer.

The kid obviously was taking his vitamins.

"He is in much better shape overall," Senators captain Daniel Alfredsson said. "He's a lot stronger ... he looks good."

Spezza, 20, credits his newfound physique to hours of workouts at Station Seven Reebok, the downtown Toronto gym opened by Roberts.

And on those days when the muscles ached, Spezza only had to glance at the well-known faces scattered around the facility to regain his motivation.

"Gary, Doug Gilmour, Jeff O'Neill, Chris Gratton, Tie Domi ... there were a ton of NHL guys there training," Spezza said yesterday. "And the trainer I worked with, Dave Ablack, was just unbelievable."

A number of tests conducted on Spezza by the Sens early in camp certainly made coach Jacques Martin a believer. The results indicated Spezza had made vast improvements in both strength and quickness.

A year ago, Martin was pelted with criticism for shipping Spezza to the minors to start the season. Even Don Cherry got into the act, questioning the logic of not keeping the kid with the parent club.

There is no such debate this time around. Spezza, barring injury, will be a major cog in the Sens' arsenal when the regular season opens in two weeks.

"The bottom line is, I came to a good hockey club when I came here," Spezza said. "I didn't want to be cut but it made me a better person and a better player."

Spezza's coming-out party occurred against the New Jersey Devils in Game 5 of the Eastern Conference final.

Playing in his first playoff game, Spezza assisted on the winning goal and then produced the insurance marker as the Sens staved off elimination. He instantly became a media darling in Ottawa, holding interview sessions in which reporters were packed three deep.

"Obviously that was a great game for me," Spezza said. "But playing in the last 10 games of the regular season is where I really got a lot of confidence.

"I don't think all the hype that follows me bugs me. I expect more out of myself than anyone else does, that's for sure."

"The bottom line is, I came to a good hockey club when I came here," Spezza said. "I didn't want to be cut but it made me a better person and a better player."

I think that quote is what many people have been saying here when talking about not putting prospects in the bigs too early.

I don't care is Martin still thinks he did the right decision, I agree with grapes that he should have made the team las year for the full season.

Don't believe everything Cherry says, though.

I love him, but man sometimes he can be an idiot, he jumps to conclusions. He's very quick to jump on the ship of a young player and claim they'll be the next Gretzky.

You DON'T put rookies in pressure situations. Spezza choked after his game 5 "coming out". He blew two open nets and showed no tenacity in the final two games.

If they have to, they will probably deal Todd White, since White is nowhere near Spezza in terms of skill.

Spezza is still behind White and Bonk on the depth chart. He is still 20 years old. There is plenty of time for him to develop. The Senators organization has learned this the hard way. Radek Bonk took YEARS to develop, and still isn't the player they thought he could be. They didn't give him any time in the minors, and if the team weren't so awful in the mid 90s, he would've been dealt from Ottawa a long time ago.