ATL D Boris Valabik on re-entry waivers

Triumph

I'm too lazy to check in the CBA to see when exactly in the season waiver order is determined by this season's current standings and not by last season's record, but I am assuming that since the Devils are in last place right now, they should have first crack at Boris Valabik. Valabik is not very good, but his salary would only be $388,250 for the entire season; pro-rated it's probably closer to $340,000. Valabik tends to take a lot of penalties, and again, he isn't very good, but he's cheaper than any defenseman available. He was also drafted 10th overall in 2004, not that that really means anything now.

I'm not sure if that cost savings is better than having Mark Fraser around - I doubt it. But he could be useful to solving the cap problem that's still lurking.

Edited by Triumph

I think it just makes sense to wait for our injured guys to return. We don't need to stockpile more guys at this point even at good salary figures. It will just make it more difficult later on to purge contracts. We have to be near the 50 players under contract limit anyway.

Talent Analysis

Don't let the birthday fool you, this guy is anything but a sweetheart. In fact, he might be the meanest European defenseman to ever come over to the OHL. He uses his body well and is a fearsome fighter. He can make a good first pass and has decent shot selection. Has a good slapshot, but rarely uses it.

Weaknesses include mobility, puckhandling, and discipline

He'd fit right in with the rest of the D. Let's do it!