Devils have recalled forwards Stephen Gionta and Patrick Davis

Quinn01

"The Devils have recalled forwards Stephen Gionta and Patrick Davis and assigned Tim Sestito and Tyler Eckford to Albany (AHL). Gionta is the brother of former Devil Brian Gionta."

-NJDevils Facebook Fan Page.

I thought Sestito played well. No? I did like Patrick Davis's play last season.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sestito was really not any good. he is just not good enough on the puck to be an NHL player. glad to see him go.

that said, i'm rather confused by this, because parise, josefson, and corrente are still on the roster, meaning the devils don't yet have any room for volchenkov.

I thought Sestito played well. No? I did like Patrick Davis's play last season.

from tg's blog

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/fireice/comments/devils_send_down_tim_sestito_and_tyler_eckford_call_up_stephen_gionta_and_p/

Sestito had no points in nine NHL games with the Devils this season. If he had played in a 10th game, he would have had to clear waivers to be sent down again.

I'm sure that is the reason.

And has Zach been placed on LTIR? Haven't seen it but I've been under the weather and haven't been reading much.

Couple thoughts that I will post here cause i don't know where to put them and am in catch up mode.

I thought this team has played fairly well the last 4 games or so. got some bounces in the wins, bad bounces in the losses.

I keep seeing everyone bith about the D, where o where is the PP? 1 or 2 timely PP goals(or even momentum building) could have meant a few more points.

Getting A-train back will be big. May take a few games for everyone to readjust again, but it should have a ripple effect. like getting a number 1 face-off guy, everyone improves.

Joe

I'm sure Zach will be placed on IR with a retroactive date.

No point to make it retroactive..

Volchenkov's was only retroactive so he wouldn't have to miss the required # of games since he already sat out most of them..

Parise is gonna miss way more than the required amount...

joe b:

yeah i figured waivers had something to do with it, but i can't see anyone taking sestito on waivers either. he is the definition of a plug. the devils are going to have to have another 500k salary guy on the team, so why not try out davis or gionta to see if they can stick?

joe b:

yeah i figured waivers had something to do with it, but i can't see anyone taking sestito on waivers either. he is the definition of a plug. the devils are going to have to have another 500k salary guy on the team, so why not try out davis or gionta to see if they can stick?

I also figure JL's philosphy(he mentioned it a ton last year) that the first game or two when a rookie gets called up is usually the best becasue of all the adrenaline. They have to keep playing at their best level to stick. Lou mentiones something similar all the time how he likes giving the kids a chance to see what they need to work on by being at the show so they can see first hand the differencees between the NHL and AHL.

Not that I think Sestito would have been taken, but why risk it even if he could be part of a package. He didn't exaclty look out of place on the ice so he has some value. It's always interesting when prospects are thrown into deals, maybe a scout saw a couple good shifts and would think he would be a good fit or fill in for an injury(even on someone's ahl team). different teams have different roles for 4th line players.

Maybe thats just the cheap bastard side of me though.

and I would think lou would not want to give 14 to GIO II, electric bugaloo. Why put any added pressure? Let him play his game.

Joe

Edited by Joe B

love that avatar

haha thanks

i love Valve and portal... cant wait for Portal 2, i also have an Aperture Science t-shirt cuz im a huge nerd

but on topic...

looking forward to seeing another Gionta on the team again woo

Edited by MrMoney

This is a good move. Sestito had to be sent down because if he played tomorrow night the Devils would have to clear waivers to keep him, plus Sestito wasn't doing all that much this stint. Devils got better IMO now with two more young scorers into the line up with Gionta and Davis. I was really hoping it would have been Tedenby and Henrique. Maybe with another (Stephen) Gionta for the Devils he will be as good as his older brother was here.