Prospect Thread

Jas0nMacIsaac

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HF Junior Prospect Review

The Devils boast a relatively small group of CHL prospects. Two of whom are still playing in the CHL playoffs. Scott Wedgewood and Maxime Clermont, both draft picks in 2010, shouldered the majority of the load for their respective clubs as number one goaltenders, while Eric Gelinas elevated his play after a mid-season trade. Forward Ashton Bernard bounced around to numerous different leagues and teams this year and appears to be on his last legs with the organization.

Sunday 5/1

QMJHL:

5 Gatineau defeated 3 Quebec 4-0* Series Tied 3-3

Clermont: 21 Saves on 21 Shots* 3rd Star

Awesome to see Clermont put up a shut out and force a Game 7 after being down 3-1 in the series. Game 7 is Tuesday night at 7 and the winner will play Gelinas' Sea Dogs for the QMJHL title and a chance to compete for the Memorial Cup.

Tuesday 5/3

QMJHL:

5 Gatineau defeated 3 Quebec 5-2* Win Series 4-3

Clermont: 31 Saves on 33 Shots

Nice to see 5 Gatineau complete the series comeback and move on to the QMJHL Final (President Cup) to face 1 Saint John! This guarantees that the Devils will have one prospect playing for the Memorial Cup.

Edit: TG Checks in With Merrill and is Burlon leaving Michigan to Sign with NJ?

There are indications, however, that another Devils’ draft pick, defenseman Brandon Burlon (second round, 52nd overall in 2008), has left Michigan following his junior season with the intention of signing an entry-level contract with the Devils.

Burlon, 21, had career-highs with 18 points, 13 assists and five goals (tied career high) for Michigan this past season. His 18 points were second most among the Wolverines’ defensemen behind Merrill’s 25.

Edited by thefiestygoat

Tuesday 5/3

QMJHL:

Nice to see 5 Gatineau complete the series comeback and move on to the QMJHL Final (President Cup) to face 1 Saint John! This guarantees that the Devils will have one prospect playing for the Memorial Cup.

Nice! Good to see.

Nice! Good to see.

I agree.

You know, some believe the Devils suck at drafting when they really DON'T.

Now that said...not sure if this should go into the mock draft post... but what does everyone think of Landeskog? He says he tries to be like Iglinla and Richards, but to be honest he truly reminds me of Clarkson. What do you guys think about him?

Tuesday 5/3

QMJHL:

Edit: TG Checks in With Merrill and is Burlon leaving Michigan to Sign with NJ?

It was looking like Wedgewood was going to be our goaltending prospect who had the best post season, but credit to Clermont for hanging in there and clawing back his starting job, he has really stepped it up. Thats a good sign, mental toughness is an attribute that is key to getting a good goaltender.

Personally i hope Clermont wins out over Gelinas in St John to reach the Memorial cup, St John is stacked so it would be nice to see the under dog rather than the sea dog win (thats right i went there).

I agree.

You know, some believe the Devils suck at drafting when they really DON'T.

Now that said...not sure if this should go into the mock draft post... but what does everyone think of Landeskog? He says he tries to be like Iglinla and Richards, but to be honest he truly reminds me of Clarkson. What do you guys think about him?

(personality-wise I mean.)

It was looking like Wedgewood was going to be our goaltending prospect who had the best post season, but credit to Clermont for hanging in there and clawing back his starting job, he has really stepped it up. Thats a good sign, mental toughness is an attribute that is key to getting a good goaltender.

Personally i hope Clermont wins out over Gelinas in St John to reach the Memorial cup, St John is stacked so it would be nice to see the under dog rather than the sea dog win (thats right i went there).

Its definitely nice to see Clermont having a strong post season after a rocky start to it. I'm really hoping that Wedgewood and Clermont both continue to progress, having 2 good goaltenders would be a good problem to have.

I agree with you that I am pulling for Gatineau over Saint John since it would be a helluva upset and could be a great experience for Clermont to pull off something like that. Though either way its a win-win for us Devil fans.

Here is the schedule for the President's Cup Final.

Thursday 5/5

QMJHL:

1 Saint John defeated 5 Gatineau 2-1* Saint John Leads Series 1-0

Gelinas: Assist, -1, 1 Shot, 3 Hits

Clermont: 35 Saves on 37 Shots* 2nd Star

Nice to see Clermont keep his team in the game. He hasn't really had to face a ton of shots in most of his starts so facing this high powered Sea Dog team is really going to be a strong test and adjustment for him.

So far in the playoffs, Clermont's 10-7 with a ridiculous 2.08 GAA and .928 SV%. In the regular season, he was sporting a 2.55 GAA and .896 SV%. He's got 474 saves in 17 games, compared to making 977 in 48 games during the regular season. Hopefully he rightfully builds his confidence from these performances.

Thanks for these updates Fiesty.

You're welcome guys, I enjoy doing this and it's nice to see others enjoy following the prospects too.

Monday 5/9

QMJHL:

1 Saint John defeated 5 Gatineau 5-0* Lead Series 2-1

Gelinas: +3, 1 Shot, 1 Hit

Clermont: 30 Saves on 35 Shots* 2nd Star

Saint John scored with a second left in the first period, then scored two goals in each of the final two periods. Overall they outshot Gatineau 35 to 17, including 30-7 thru the first two periods. Clermont (18) faced more shots in the first period than the Saint John goaltender (DeSerres 17) did the entire game.

Also of note, Jonathan Huberdeau was the first star with a goal, +1, 6 shots but lost the only 2 draws he took.

Wednesday 5/11QMJHL:1 Saint John defeated 5 Gatineau 4-3 in Double Overtime* Lead Series 3-1Gelinas: E, 2 Shots, 2 HitsClermont: 60 Saves on 64 Shots* 1st StarIn regards to Clermont, all I can say is wow!

WOW incredible !!!

Sunday 5/15

QMJHL:

1 Saint John defeated 5 Gatineau 3-2 in Double Overtime* Win Series 4-2 - Win 2010-11 Presidents Cup

Gelinas: Assist (On GWG), E, 5 Shots, 2 Hits

Clermont: 52 Saves on 55 Shots* 2nd Star

Gatineau took a 2-1 lead with 5:22 left in the 3rd period but lost that lead with 23 seconds left. I don't think anyone expected them to be this competitive with Saint John. What a series for Clermont! Huberdeau was named MVP, but you could've made a case for Clermont.

Saint John will represent the QMJHL in the Memorial Cup.

Huberdeau was named Playoff MVP in the Q , is not our prospect... but could be

in 20 games buddy scored 17 goals, 15 assists / 32 points / plus-13

thats really good even if we dont draft him... he may create a buzz around him that Colorado or Florida could bite so we could land Larsson or Landeskog :evil:

I didn't realize the replays would be on there, I'll be sure to DVR it. Thanks for the heads up!

I'm not sure if it's a replay or not but I heard that the NHL Network-US was supposed to air the Memorial Cup games starting tomorrow. I guess the one that took place tonight only aired in Canada. But if they show a replay of tonight's game I'll be happy to watch. :)