Yotes fire Coach Francis

Weekes Head

According to TSN.ca:

Coyotes fire Bob Francis

Canadian Press

2/24/2004

The Phoenix Coyotes have fired head coach Bob Francis.

Rick Bowness has been announced as his replacement. Bowness, who has been a head coach with the Senators and Islanders, started his NHL career as an assistant coach with the Winnipeg Jets.

More details to follow.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=73538

Wow! After making some of the dumbest trades these past two years (Gratton/Comrie, etc), I would imagine not even a great coach like Francis could push this AHL quality team to make the playoffs.

Not that we need, him but I would love for Lou to pick him up before anyone else does, this guys is one of the best coaches in the league.

Just another mistake in the continuing saga of destroying a potentially good franchise in Phoenix.

True Red Army. But Slats is going to go after this disaster. So, I say fire him after the final game on April 3rd. Show him the door on Monday, April 5th and introduce Francis as coach. His Dad coached them too in the 70's. A legend.

What is it with Dolan and Slat? :blink: ANYONE else would've been fired already.

Dolan thinks Sather is the greatest coach of all time beacuse of the Edmonton years. It's no secret reading the papers and listening to the radio that Dolan doesn't have one clue about hockey. All he cares about is making money.

If the Garden was empty every night I'd bet Sather would have been gone a long time ago. I don't remember the exact quote but Dolan once said something along the lines of Sather knows how to win. He's my guy and I'm sticking with him.

Maybe Dolan should watch a few games and realize the Rangers or Sather don't know the first thing about winning.

True Red Army. But Slats is going to go after this disaster. So, I say fire him after the final game on April 3rd. Show him the door on Monday, April 5th and introduce Francis as coach. His Dad coached them too in the 70's. A legend.

Bob is Emile's son?!?! Didn't know that.

Emile was the answer to last night's Trivia question on RDS:

"Qui etais le dernier entreiner chef de rester avec les Rangers pour quatre ans?"

Well, it was RDS..... okay...

"Who was the last head coach to stay with the Rangers for four years?"

23% said Keenan. :lol:

i know the coyotes have been really bad this year, but i was not expecting this move. all i kept hearing was that his job would be saved no matter what happens. i just hope next year that the coyotes will bring in someone good.

Comrie trade was terrible because Barrett is a horrible GM:

Burke was in demand as being the best goalie available on the market.

The Ranger$, Flyers and Toronto (Belfours back injury) among others were bidding for him.

Even before being traded to Philly, no one wanted Comrie. His agent was drumming up false rumor after rumor to get a least some interest in him. Edmonton did not get any offers for him and Low ended up giving him to Clarke for a minor league defensemen (Woywitka).

Comrie was a liability in Philly, who essentially got his playing time down to 10 minutes a game because he didn't play both ends of the ice. Claude Lapointe was cleared to play and essentially became the 3rd line center, leaving Comrie out of the line-up or potentially being sent to the Phantoms.

The Coyotes should have gotten Comrie and at the very least a few draft picks, or a veteran defensive player in return for Burke.

Instead, Barrett (who along with Gretzky, who have a friendship with Comrie's dad) ended GIVING up an in demand Goalie, a young all-star, and a prospect for essentially Jeff Woywitka (an excess prospective defensemen).

Since the acquistion of Comrie the Yotes have died (2-5-1) and Comrie is already showing his defensive prowess (-5).

The Yotes got fleeced in this trade and it cost Francis his job.