Gomez to the AHL?

Daniel

I think Gomez has more skills than his totals show, and I'd argue if he ever went to the net and got dirty, there's no reason someone with his ice time and skills couldn't get 20 goals.

Gomez is only as good as the players around him. If you consider Cammelari, Markhov were hurt a good portion of the season and Montreal's defense was patchwork you get a season like he had.

He is a 60 point player with an albatross of a contract.

Getting that offer from the Rangers was the worst thing to happen to his career.

well, if it happens, he'll be the 2nd hihg end contract to play in the A. Wade Redden & Gomer, both brilliant slats contracts. Is Drury worth that kinda $$$ too. Guy is always hurt.

As much as an unmotivated goof of a hockey player as he is, I would take him back in a heartbeat just to play with Kovalchuk. Think about it... Gomer's prime years were playing with Mogilny and to a lesser extent with Elias and Gionta, both in their prime. In 2000, he was a rookie with something to prove, then in 2003 he had Burns "motivating" him. Now, after his game declined, and balded, he's got something to prove again and is still one of the best puck movers in the game (when he's motivated).

And let's face it, for as good a goal scorer as Kovalchuk is, he's nowhere near an elite stickhandler. More times than not, the puck magically jumps off his stick as soon as he gets moving. Kovy's a shooter plain and simple and one of the best in the game today. Give him someone who can pass the way Gomez can and it'll be scary...

We ruined him!! The guy was fantastic and the coaching staff decided to make him a hand-maiden to that one-dimentional Mogilny. The young Gomer was slated to be our best player for the (then) future and we gelded him. Somehow we love these Russian players who can shoot only (I dont mean you, Sarge)and be mediocre at everything else.

We ruined him!! The guy was fantastic and the coaching staff decided to make him a hand-maiden to that one-dimentional Mogilny. The young Gomer was slated to be our best player for the (then) future and we gelded him. Somehow we love these Russian players who can shoot only (I dont mean you, Sarge)and be mediocre at everything else.

No, he ruined him - he played for one season with Mogilny. And really, everything in his junior hockey career suggested the player he'd become - an excellent passer who can't score enough.

If he works hard, he'll bounce back next season.

Edited by Triumph

I think he ruined himself. He's an obstinate little guy. I am certain he thinks no one is helping him or that he just CAN'T do it -- but point of fact - he doesn't work hard enough to hear - he's too impatient.. and :noclue: stupid? There is clearly a conflict going on there.

Right when he became a UFA he was on that cusp -- his choice to jet screamed too impatient to improve - too stubborn to believe he had/has control of his talent, not the other way around. He won't take control and he excuses it by saying he can't.

Edited by Pepperkorn

I think he ruined himself. He's an obstinate little guy. I am certain he thinks no one is helping him or that he just CAN'T do it -- but point of fact - he doesn't work hard enough to hear - he's too impatient.. and :noclue: stupid? There is clearly a conflict going on there.

I pretty much agree with you and I think Gomez is overrated by most people. He has the talent to be really helpful for a team but I think he lacks the mental toughness, not the physical toughness, to focus for most of a season and then when he wants to focus and raise his game he's not sharp like he should be from the rust.

As much as an unmotivated goof of a hockey player as he is, I would take him back in a heartbeat just to play with Kovalchuk. Think about it... Gomer's prime years were playing with Mogilny and to a lesser extent with Elias and Gionta, both in their prime. In 2000, he was a rookie with something to prove, then in 2003 he had Burns "motivating" him. Now, after his game declined, and balded, he's got something to prove again and is still one of the best puck movers in the game (when he's motivated).

And let's face it, for as good a goal scorer as Kovalchuk is, he's nowhere near an elite stickhandler. More times than not, the puck magically jumps off his stick as soon as he gets moving. Kovy's a shooter plain and simple and one of the best in the game today. Give him someone who can pass the way Gomez can and it'll be scary...

The sentimentalist in me thinks that would make for a great story. Ex-Devil gone bad, gets demoted from the big league, then returns and plays instrumental role in leading original team back to glory! :clap:

But this board would flip out if the team ever brought back yet another Devils retread, most especially him! :evil:

I couldn't see Gomez ending up in the minors. He only has 1 more season of making 7.5 million then 5.5 million then 4.5 million. A team that wants to reach the cap floor but spend less than the cap floor would really want Gomez.