What is our current lineup and salaries?

msweet

Stevens qualifies for a "Performance Bonus" contract. Does that help our salary situation?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, because the bonuses go against the cap, you have to plan your cap situation as if you will pay out the bonuses at maximum, at least at the beginning of the season. Then you can see what happens during the season. But with the new rules, I wonder whether the old bonus clauses in existing contracts are still valid...which might be a reason Madden said his contract was misunderstood, that's all.

I HATE HAVING IMPERFECT INFORMATION!!! :blink:

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also who's to say what Brodeurs contract actually consisted of -- if they have Madden's contract wrong then maybe Marty's is as well? And everyone else under than sun for that matter. I mean do the qualifying offers state amounts ? Or do they just say the offer was tendered and everyone just assumes the old reported salary didn't include bonuses etc and so forth... basically what Madden said is the entire estimated payroll is bullsh!t - we're spinning our wheeles here...

but since none of us work for the Devils and will have nothing to do with any of this money in any way shape or form we're really just wheel spnning anyhow so what the heck right? Sort of like arguing if there's life after death -- who the hell knows until it's done?

Edited by Darwindog

Also who's to say what Brodeurs contract actually consisted of -- if they have Madden's contract wrong then maybe Marty's is as well? And everyone else under than sun for that matter.  I mean do the qualifying offers state amounts ?  Or do they just say the offer was tendered and everyone just assumes the old reported salary didn't include bonuses etc and so forth... basically what Madden said is the entire estimated payroll is bullsh!t - we're spinning our wheeles here...

but since none of us work for the Devils and will have nothing to do with any of this money in any way shape or form we're really just wheel spnning anyhow so  what the heck right?  Sort of like arguing if there's life after death -- who the hell knows until it's done?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yeah - but it's lots of fun to want to have an edge in understanding all of this

You wondered how this lays out for other teams, well, here's what Toronto's situation is. If you want to read the entire article about how they only have about $10 million to sign 7 players I've included the link. Also, they'd want to maintain a little salary flexibility so they wouldn't go all they way up to the cap, so it's really about $7-8 million for 7 players, which gives you an idea of why Roberts and Nieuwy aren't there anymore.

But here is the link and then the section of the article which lays out who is under contract and who has been qualified & for how much:

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentSe...l=1044442957278

Scrimping Leafs shortchanged on talent

Naslund in T.O.? Don't count on it

DAMIEN COX

Who's left?

If all the unsigned Maple Leafs accept their qualifying offers, Toronto will have 16 players under contract for a total salary of $28.7 million (all figures U.S.). Here's who is in blue and white so far, with 2005-06 salary in parenthesis:

GOALIES

Ed Belfour ($5.6 million), Mikael Tellqvist ($450,000).

DEFENCEMAN

Bryan McCabe ($3.5 million), Tomas Kaberle ($2.28 million), Ken Klee ($1.9 million), Aki Berg* ($1.1 million), Karel Pilar* ($450,000).

FORWARDS

Mats Sundin (earning $6.8 million; $6.3 million against the cap), Darcy Tucker ($1.6 million), Jeff O'Neill ($1.5 million), Nik Antropov* ($1 million), Matt Stajan ($805,000), Wade Belak* ($798,000), Chad Kilger ($475,000), Alex Ponikarovsky ($450,000), Nathan Perrott* ($450,000)

* Have until Aug. 15 to accept qualifying offer.

funny, everyone expects players to sign their qualifying offers. I have heard a lot of players saying that they wont (for example Zetterberg with detroit)

I have a hard time believing that martin will accept $506,000.00 after his worldcup stint and the kind of rookie season he had (once he got off the "martinride to albany" that people had him on half the season)

or that gionta would play for $570,000.00 when he is a first line player

Edited by Swede

well the player has 3 choices: sign the qualifier, elect to go to arbitration, or negotiate a long-term deal with the qualifying team.

True, the players do not have to sign, but their playing rights are held by the qualifying team.

They have little choice but to sign.

And they must sign by December 1, or sit out the entire season

well the player has 3 choices: sign the qualifier, elect to go to arbitration, or negotiate a long-term deal with the qualifying team.

True, the players do not have to sign, but their playing rights are held by the qualifying team. 

They have little choice but to sign.

And they must sign by December 1, or sit out the entire season

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If I was making $100.000 more than minimum and was playing on the 1st line I'd probably try to see what I could do about it. should be interesting to see what will happen with this the next couple of weeks.

Was Stevens resigned when I wasn't looking? Why is it that everyone believes he is coming back? With the New NHL and the way we have already seen players bouncing around the league would it be out of the question to think that Lou might spend the money on Rafi AND Nieds and let Stevens go?

Was Stevens resigned when I wasn't looking? Why is it that everyone believes he is coming back? With the New NHL and the way we have already seen players bouncing around the league would it be out of the question to think that Lou might spend the money on Rafi AND Nieds and let Stevens go?

I don't know if everyone's convinced he's coming back, but the consensus seems to be that he won't play anywhere else. He'll either resign with the Devs or retire.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What... are you TRYING to get me started.

Stevens is a out he's forced into retirement I dotn think Lou will even have the 450K left over to keep him. He' in the wings IF neider isnt' re-signed. if nieds is his SOL. No one assumes Stevens is back they're just being kind until the final death nell

HAPPY NOW? <_<

Well we need to make some changes here

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

When the numbers get leaked to the public someone can update them. Unless you have a psychic friends network that can divine them without them being reported... :P

The Devils had to go elsewhere to shore up their defence and did so by re-signing unrestricted free agent Brian Ralalski to an $8.4 million, two-year deal-as well as getting veteran blue-liners Dan McGillis and Vladimir Malakhov under contract. Malakhov signed a $7.2 million, two year deal.

Edited by BlueSkirt

Assuming all players accept qualifying offers, even though some probably won't.

Did factor in Parise but not Suglobov. Here is my rough estimate. Make corrections if needed.

Signed Players (23 for $35,312,000)

*Contract Value not known

Roster

Martin Brodeur ($5.24 million)

Scott Clemmensen (450G)

Sergei Brylin ($1.52 million)

Grant Marshall (760G)

Richard Matvichuk ($1.36 million)

Krzysztof Oliwa (836G)

Jay Pandolfo (836G)

Darren Langdon (450G)

Erik Rasmussen (532G)

Zach Parise (925G)

John Madden ($3.9 million)

Jeff Friesen ($2.28 million)

Patrick Elias ($4.18 million)

Scott Gomez ($2.2 million)

Viktor Kozlov ($1.74 million)

Colin White ($1.71 million)

Jamie Langenbrunner ($1.65 million)

Paul Martin ($798G)

Brian Gionta ($627G)

Sean Brown ($450G)

David Hale ($758G)

Brian Rafalski ($4.2 million)

Dan McGillis*

Vladimir Malakhov ($3.6 million)

UFA (1)

Scott Stevens

The Devils had to go elsewhere to shore up their defence and did so by re-signing unrestricted free agent Brian Ralalski to an $8.4 million, two-year deal-as well as getting veteran blue-liners Dan McGillis and Vladimir Malakhov under contract. Malakhov signed a $7.2 million, two year deal.

Where did you get this Blue?