Bob Mckenzie Article On Ilya Kovalchuk

Devs3cups

Nice Article.

Article.

McKenzie:New Jersey: The Devils are the stealth bombers on this list. They only were mentioned in the last few days and like most things out of New Jersey, it's shrouded in secrecy and mystery. If anyone knows precisely what Lou Lamoriello is interested in offering, or if he's actually serious in making an offer, step to the front of the line because you're a better man than me.

But if you peruse the Devils' lineup and see what established players they have who

It sounds to me like most teams are being more cautious than normal, which is unfortunate for Atlanta. That also makes me think the Devils have a slight chance. Like everyone else here, when I look at the Devils line-up, I don't see who Lou would be willing to move for a rental, or how the devils would compete with teams like LA and CHI for Kovalchuk. But with teams holding back moving players they see as future assets, and the cap being an issue, I can see Kovalchuk coming here as a very small possibility.

If we traded Rolston, re-signing Kovy to the 10m/y contract he's going to want doesn't seem TOO ridiculous, with Rolston's 5m+ off the books.

its technicaly possible to fit kovy in @ $10MM with rolston off the books but it'll take much more than that.

oduya would have to be gone and you'd have a roster next year with 5 1st or 2nd year players like fraser, eckford, corrente, halischuk, davis and probably cormier - unless you find another group of dean mcammond types.

then you still have to worry about parise the following year.

it just doesn't make sense. now, if the huge figure was because he wanted out of atlanta but had to play the good guy card of saying that he'd stay, it's possible he takes an $8MM/year salary. the truth is, it's probably going to be 10 years with a $8MM cap hit but be heavily front loaded.

Me too Sundstrom. Maybe Lou put in a loophole :P

we discussed this before - yeah there's a NTC but if a team asks you to waive it, it means that they don't want you. for the most part, i think once that ship has sailed, its tough to invoke and stick with the organization.

unless rolston and the devils are blind, they have to see that he's faded terribly and will be a detriment to this team.

If the Devils managed to find a way to unload Rolston and Oduya to Atlanta I'd think I'd sh!t my pants from sheer joy. I'm forcing myself into believing that they're going nowhere this way I'm not disappointed come March.

The thing with a guy like Kovalchuk, assuming you could resign him and the Devils marketing team removes their collective heads from their asses, is that you get a superstar on your team who you would think would help put some more asses in the seats. He should be good for business. I know he has his detractors but the guy has so much skill and would be a nice attraction for the Devils. We have all seen some of the bombs this man has dropped on Marty and the Devils. He has serious skill and is fun to watch.

I don't believe there is a chance in hell we get this guy but if by some miracle Atlanta wants to play ball and we can send our poor contracts over in the process you jump all over that sh!t all day long.

As much as Rolston may be washed up and as much as Oduya has regressed, they're not completely horrible players. Maybe to a team that is trying to win a Cup they are but for Atlanta they might be of some purpose. Ok that is a bit of a stretch but one can dream. Whatever the case they are serviceable players that can help now. Throw in some prospects and a pick and see what is really good. Btw I'm not sweating the NTC for Rolston. Lou would get him to waive it. Its not like he would be sending him to Calgary or something.

All I know is that Oduya and Rolston will be eating 8.5 million of cap space combined for the next 2 years. To hell with that sh!t. Knowing that you can possibly have a guy of Kovy's caliber for maybe a million more worst case scenario is enough to make you want to punch babies. The guy is 26 years old. One of those nice front loaded contracts would be just what the doctor ordered.

Well that was fun, now back to reality.

Edited by SickMan

Well said SickMan, I'm having a blast contemplating the possibilities - it's just been a fun few days to even be in this dance.

Thank you sir and I agree with you completely. As much as I know we'll probably be very disappointed when the dust settles you can never say never. The buzz this is creating is pretty nice, just imagine if he were on the team!

I appreciate the Devils always having a solid team every year but its about damn time we insert ourselves back into the truly elite category. Once you win multiple Cups it is in your blood. We need to get back before Marty and Elias retire. For as good and consistent the team has been since the last Cup, things have also kind of gone stale. We desperately need something to change things up here. Its not like we don't have good players. Elias, Brodeur, Parise and Kovalchuk all on the same team? Sign me the hell up.

Edited by SickMan

Thank you sir and I agree with you completely. As much as I know we'll probably be very disappointed when the dust settles you can never say never. The buzz this is creating is pretty nice, just imagine if he were on the team!

I appreciate the Devils always having a solid team every year but its about damn time we insert ourselves back into the truly elite category. Once you win multiple Cups it is in your blood. We need to get back before Marty and Elias retire. For as good and consistent the team has been since the last Cup, things have also kind of gone stale. We desperately need something to change things up here. Its not like we don't have good players. Elias, Brodeur, Parise and Kovalchuk all on the same team? Sign me the hell up.

I don't disagree with you, but I still feel we'd need a center/dman (cough Kubina cough)

I don't disagree with you, but I still feel we'd need a center/dman (cough Kubina cough)

Most definitely. If Lou is seriously pursuing Kovalchuk you'd like to think that its just one part of the puzzle otherwise you wouldn't maximize the return and he'll likely cost a lot. I have no idea how the numbers would work but if a trade is going to go down this year, no matter who comes over, its going to be pretty significant move. Injuries or not this team has been giving serious warning signs that they need to upgrade. Its another lost season if Lou stands pat and minor tweaking will not do.

Edited by SickMan

HOI/Sickman - i'd want to be in both your camps. in my never in a million years mind:

rolston/oduya/bergfors/2011 2nd for kovalchuk/kubina

vayunov or similar prospect, 2010 2nd for Eric Belanger

parise-zajac-langenbrunner

kovalchuk-belanger-elias

mcammond-zubrus-clarkson

pandolfo-neidermayer-pelley/davis/PL3 (only when playing the Flyers)

martin-salvador

greene-white

kubina-mottau

fraser

PP1: parise-zajac-clarkson-kovalchuk-kubina

PP2: elias-belanger-zubrus-langenbrunner-martin

PK Pairs Neidermayer/Pandolfo, Langenbrunner/Zajac, Pelley/Belanger

THIS lineup really doesn't have holes. It's good at the dot, defensively responsible on all lines, can win on the boards with 2 of 3 lines, has PP presence, and balance. 3 defensemen with decent offensive instincts.

HOI/Sickman - i'd want to be in both your camps. in my never in a million years mind:

kovalchuk-belanger-elias

mcammond-zubrus-clarkson

martin-salvador

greene-white

kubina-mottau

fraser

THIS lineup really doesn't have holes. It's good at the dot, defensively responsible on all lines, can win on the boards with 2 of 3 lines, has PP presence, and balance. 3 defensemen with decent offensive instincts.

Yes it does Sundstrom. Yes it does. :evil:

PK

Travis/Jamie

Belanger/Elias

Nieder/Zubrus/Dolfo

kovalchuk-belanger-elias

mcammond-zubrus-clarkson

martin-salvador

greene-white

kubina-mottau

fraser

Sundstrom: You're seriously going to make me cry with that lineup. What I wouldn't give to see the Devils ice that team in April.

Something is going to go down with Atlanta. Way too much smoke right now. Obviously Kovalchuk is basically a pipe dream, however, Kubina is not. He is a big boy who can put up some points and I think he would fit in nicely here. He is UFA so Atlanta would do good to get something for him now. Send Oduya the other way and what not and you get an upgrade for this season and Oduya's contract goes by by.

Belanger is another player that would be a nice pick up and assuming The Wild want to deal, how much will it really take to get him? I just cant see the Devils having to break the bank to get this guy.

These two moves make this a much better team imo. There may even be a little more to work with to boost the wing. Bergfors might verywell turn out to be a solid player but he could also flop. Maybe somebody takes a chance on him and we pick up someone who can help this team now.

Edited by SickMan

As long as we're talking hypotheticals ... if the Devils can land Kovalchuk without losing Zubrus, I don't think we'd need a second line center. Zubes turns into another player when he plays with a shoot-first superstar with a nose for the net. Just look at his days with Ovechkin and his recent time with Parise. There aren't a lot of players of that caliber in the NHL, but Kovalchuk is certainly one of them.

As long as we're talking hypotheticals ... if the Devils can land Kovalchuk without losing Zubrus, I don't think we'd need a second line center. Zubes turns into another player when he plays with a shoot-first superstar with a nose for the net. Just look at his days with Ovechkin and his recent time with Parise. There aren't a lot of players of that caliber in the NHL, but Kovalchuk is certainly one of them.

We still need one becuase we can't have Nieder/Pando there.

We still need one becuase we can't have Nieder/Pando there.

I wouldn't hate this:

Parise-Zajac-Langenbrunner

Kovalchuk-Zubrus-Elias

Rolston-McAmmond-Clarkson

Pandolfo-Niedermayer-P3L/Davis/Pelley/whoever

Those top two lines are so dynamite that the second two don't really matter as much. This, of course, is assuming that Lou doesn't ask Rolston to waive his NTC (and he looked his best last year when on a line with Clarkson, FWIW).