NFL Week 17

CRASHER

Yeah, as a Pat fan I can't really be mad about this. They're only the second 11-win team since the advent of the 16-game schedule not to get in. Like I feared, their mediocre 7-5 AFC Conference came to back to kill 'em. Tie-breakers can be a real bitch.

All in all, considering what happened with Brady going down in Week 1 and the myriad injuries they had on defense (not to mention losing Maroney), they did the best they could. BB did a hell of a job finding a way to put up 412 points with that offense...even if they HAD made the playoffs, I think they would have had a hell of a time trying to go deep into them. Their defense, as they showed in a number of games, was definitely suspect.

Congrats to you again.

Your team deserved this in a big way.

Enjoy every minute of it!

It is definitely tough to go 11-5 if you are a Pats fan, but the Pats have the most inflated record of all time. They already had an easy schedule going in, but no one expected to the AFC and NFC West to be that bad. They beat no good teams except the Dolphins and pretty much lost to ever better team (Colts, Steelers) They lost to the Jets and lost to the Chargers. Probably could have had both.

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is definitely tough to go 11-5 if you are a Pats fan, but the Pats have the most inflated record of all time. They already had an easy schedule going in, but no one expected to the AFC and NFC West to be that bad. They beat no good teams except the Dolphins and pretty much lost to ever better team (Colts, Steelers) They lost to the Jets and lost to the Chargers. Probably could have had both.

Of all time? Check out some of Barry Sanders' Lions teams that used to feast off 5th-place schedules.

They stunk against the Chargers, so I can't give them that game. Steelers and Dolphins (first time) beat them soundly too. They were in it against the Colts (much more so than I expected), and the Jets game came to down to a coin flip, although it's the defense's job to stop them and they didn't, so no sour grapes theres. You ARE skewering things a little bit with the "good team" labels...it's not like every team they faced was 3-13.

For the record I don't think the Pats were all that great. Had they made the playoffs I think they might have won their wild-card game as a #3, probably would have lost as a #6. Even if they had found a way to win a home wild-card game I think they would have struggled and lost badly in the following round. 11-5 is definitely relative...I felt much more confident about the 11-5 Patriot teams that lost the '97 SB against Green Bay and the won the '02 SB than I did about this group...playoffs or no playoffs.

Of all time? Check out some of Barry Sanders' Lions teams that used to feast off 5th-place schedules.

They stunk against the Chargers, so I can't give them that game. Steelers and Dolphins (first time) beat them soundly too. They were in it against the Colts (much more so than I expected), and the Jets game came to down to a coin flip, although it's the defense's job to stop them and they didn't, so no sour grapes theres. You ARE skewering things a little bit with the "good team" labels...it's not like every team they faced was 3-13.

For the record I don't think the Pats were all that great. Had they made the playoffs I think they might have won their wild-card game as a #3, probably would have lost as a #6. Even if they had found a way to win a home wild-card game I think they would have struggled and lost badly in the following round. 11-5 is definitely relative...I felt much more confident about the 11-5 Patriot teams that lost the '97 SB against Green Bay and the won the '02 SB than I did about this group...playoffs or no playoffs.

I really think with the personnel left on defense down the stretch this team got off so lucky. I think it took time for Cassell to get adjusted, which explains a really tight game against the Chiefs in week one, aginst the 49ers in week 5, and the Rams in week 8, but once he got it going the Pats just took advantage Seattle, Oakland, Arozina and Buffalo in their last 4 games. There is no way they were losing any of those games (although the Seattle game was way too close). This was just a team that had such an easy schedule, and the record shows it. What I am saying is this isn't a sad case of a very good 11-5 team getting left out unfortunately.

I will say this though. If the team was Healthy all year with Brady, Bruschi, Thomas, Harrison, and whoever else...there is no way this team does not go 16-0 again. The schedule was that easy.

I really think with the personnel left on defense down the stretch this team got off so lucky. I think it took time for Cassell to get adjusted, which explains a really tight game against the Chiefs in week one, aginst the 49ers in week 5, and the Rams in week 8, but once he got it going the Pats just took advantage Seattle, Oakland, Arozina and Buffalo in their last 4 games. There is no way they were losing any of those games (although the Seattle game was way too close). This was just a team that had such an easy schedule, and the record shows it. What I am saying is this isn't a sad case of a very good 11-5 team getting left out unfortunately.

I will say this though. If the team was Healthy all year with Brady, Bruschi, Thomas, Harrison, and whoever else...there is no way this team does not go 16-0 again. The schedule was that easy.

But it doesn't matter what you think or I think or ANYONE thinks what "kind" of an 11-5 team the Pats were. Their record was what it was. 11-5. Only one other team with that kind of record EVER in the 16-game schedule didn't get in. So that's a pretty big deal. I don't feel sorry for them in the slightest though...Division Record and Conference Record are crucial, and at 7-5 in the AFC, that just wasn't good enough.

16-0? There's a reason that it's only happened once. That "if" list of guys staying healthy is shaky...the fact is the Pats have an aging and slowing defense and even last year that was becoming apparent. An all-time offense like last year's hides a lot of ills. If the Pats try to come back next year with that defense near-intact that the Pats will give up at least 350 points.

But it doesn't matter what you think or I think or ANYONE thinks what "kind" of an 11-5 team the Pats were. Their record was what it was. 11-5. Only one other team with that kind of record EVER in the 16-game schedule didn't get in. So that's a pretty big deal. I don't feel sorry for them in the slightest though...Division Record and Conference Record are crucial, and at 7-5 in the AFC, that just wasn't good enough.

16-0? There's a reason that it's only happened once. That "if" list of guys staying healthy is shaky...the fact is the Pats have an aging and slowing defense and even last year that was becoming apparent. An all-time offense like last year's hides a lot of ills. If the Pats try to come back next year with that defense near-intact that the Pats will give up at least 350 points.

I don't see Bill firing anyone, but should be interesting if Romeo comes back. Not sure how they are going to improve that D so soon. The secondary is awful, but the Linebacking core is very good when healthy, although Bruschi might be running on fumes. Mayo looked very good this year. I don't think Thmas has reached his potential with the Pats. I think the Pats franchise Cassell as insurance, and that is going to be a huge cap hit. I guess they draft someone for their secondary, but they do need a running back. It should be interesting what they do.

I still think if healthy, they win all division games, obviously still easily take care of the NFC West and AFC West. I really think their schedule was so easy that they would take care of the Steelers and Colts who were really struggling at times with some injuries. Maybe 15-1 at the worst.

Edited by devilsrule33

Might as well blow up the whole Dallas team. One ugly, smelly, mess.

I really doubt that Cowher would become the Cowboys coach, crash. Why the hell would anyone for that matter want to be involved with that mess?

Heres to hoping Spags stays with the Giants.

Cowher would never come to Dallas, Oakland, or any other franchise with a controlling owner like Double J, because Cowher would demand total control of the team, and, while I personally would give it to him because it obviously got results in Pittsburgh, there is no way in hell Jerry Jones would do that.

Jones gave Fat Boy Bill full control did he not???

But hey if he's stupid enough to think Huggy Bear is the answer... look for a Yankees-like spending spree in the NFL Off-Season now :blink:

I broke down Favre's career numbers in Week 16...it bears repeating here (updated for Week 17's debacle):

1994-97: 145 TD, 56 INT (2.59 to 1 ratio)

Rest of career: 319 TD, 254 INT (1.26 to 1 ratio)

For some reason, over the last half of his career (and we saw this repeatedly with the Jets...right up to Week 17), Brett just seemed to think "I'm Brett Favre and I can do whatever I want with the ball, it doesn't matter how careless or reckless I get or how much I kill my team, because I'm this gunslinger and for some reason people will find reasons to give me a pass on it." He did an awful lot to hurt his teams since '99. For a guy who's supposed to be so damn great he's made HORRIBLE decisions through the years. Why are so many so quick to gloss over his deficiencies like they didn't exist? Holmgren was the one coach who seemed to know how to control him.

This article says it all:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/stor...&id=3281535

Like I've said, I give him credit for being able to play the position for so long. And he did win one SB and get to another. He's a Hall-Of-Famer for sure. But, to a certain extent, he's a bit of a glorified compiler.

Yet, he had a pretty good season last year.

Cowher would never come to Dallas, Oakland, or any other franchise with a controlling owner like Double J

I used to think that of Parcells until he went to Dallas. Money (and prestige) talks and Dallas has both.

It's just a matter of when JJ decides to put his ego in a closet for a couple years and let the football people do their job instead of trying to play GM, president and assistant coach.

I used to think that of Parcells until he went to Dallas. Money (and prestige) talks and Dallas has both.

It's just a matter of when JJ decides to put his ego in a closet for a couple years and let the football people do their job instead of trying to play GM, president and assistant coach.

JJ saw the value of his team plummet via mediocrity, so he HAD to get a football man to make it a winner.

Parcells turned the team around and unfortunately, got all the credit. Too much for JJ to take, so he went out and got TO and that ended both the Parcells era and also any chance of Dallas making an impact in the playoffs.

Yet, he had a pretty good season last year.

You're referring to his last year in Green Bay, I'm assuming. Yeah, stats-wise it was a solid year, but what everyone remembers is Favre throwing the pick against the Giants that led to the Giants then winning the NFC in OT in Green Bay's building. Even is his lone good year out of the last four he STILL found a way to kill his team, and at the worst possible time to boot.

You're referring to his last year in Green Bay, I'm assuming. Yeah, stats-wise it was a solid year, but what everyone remembers is Favre throwing the pick against the Giants that led to the Giants then winning the NFC in OT in Green Bay's building. Even is his lone good year out of the last four he STILL found a way to kill his team, and at the worst possible time to boot.

His last ever playoff pass :dance: