Does anyone else hope that Nieder leaves?

HellOnICE

Why I think we need Nieds:

-Stevens is done after this season (if he plays at all)

-No one else on the blueline will have his playoff experience

-We will lose Rafi and Martin is not ready to be our PP QB

-He will be our next Captain

-He is the only player on D available that can take over the cornerstone role from Stevens.

-He is clutch in the playoffs.

I like the fact that the demand for him has dwindled in the past few days, but I am scared with Vancouver is making room to get him and I think Rob Nieds has only a one year deal with Anaheim.

Does anyone else Nieder leaving would be a blessing in disguise. I think the offer is locking up someone for too much money, and its not the Devils style of doing things. I wonder if Lou is getting caught up, kinda similar to the way Holik left in 2002. The Devils offered Holik the world, but it was a blessing in disguise that he left. I still think money could be better spent keep Stevens and/or Rafalski, and signing a forward. I still think there's some decent players and cheap projects the Devils love to take on.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Comparing Neids to Holik is like night and day...

First the Devs have alwasy locked up their corner stones.. ( see Stevens & Broduer).

Neids IMHO is one of top 3 dmen inthe NHL, he's a leader and has always been at his best in the playoffs. If you are not going to spend the money on him then who??

Rafi for 4 mil?? NOT!!!

Of course we do have Freeze, so we really donot neid any dmen, cause Freeze is the best player in the NHl, probably will win the hart this year...

Edited by redruM

Why I think we need Nieds: 

-Stevens is done after this season (if he plays at all)

-No one else on the blueline will have his playoff experience

-We will lose Rafi and Martin is not ready to be our PP  QB

-He will be our next Captain

-He is the only player on D available that can take over the cornerstone role from Stevens.

-He is clutch in the playoffs.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree that we need Nieds for all the reasons stated above but if we offered 6.8 for 5 years that's really all you can do. Considering Anahiem is the other bidder, they wouldn't have given us Rob for very cheap. Besides, Rob isn't that good, so on top of Scott taking 17% percent of our cap room we would also be "stuck" with Rob. No player is worth that, especially when he's only the second best on the team. Should we sign Marty's dad as the backup goalie next time his contract is up as enticment for him to stay?

6.8 for 4-5 years is a more than fair offer for any player, take it or leave it.

take it for what it's worth..on another board someone said on TEAM 1260 that nieds signed with the ducks.

Yeah, that rumor made its way here last night, but it was quickly squashed when DM asked a bunch of folks from Edmonton whether they had actually heard that and was told they had not.

I dont care if he's gone. I've always expected him to leave at some point. The guy's been a gunslinger since the beginning. Anyway, so what? If we're going to remain great as a franchise, we'll have to start infusing new blood along with the champions, until THEY feel like champions. The Habs did it. The Oilers did it. The Yanks do it. Why not us? Great teams and organizations have a flair for this sort of thing.