GDT 4/28 Carolina vs New Jersey-Game 7.

Neutral Zone Trap

• Replies 681
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Worst lost in franchise history!?

Im going to have a real tough time going back to the Rock next year, luckily i have college so i can only make it on breaks. I just dont know wat to say, we are 1:20 from having just a really really special moment. And they it is just snatched away right in front of your face. Devastating, just devastating.

I know its way early, but this team needs to be gutted. There is no way we can bring back a team that even resembles this. No way this same team can overcome this loss. Sutters gotta go and all the dead weight on this team. Can we please get younger and faster.

Im going to be depressed for months. fvck.

Just getting back from the Prudential Center and words cannot explain how I feel right now. :evilcry:

I was sitting there until the ushers had to tell me to leave as I was just in total shock what we all saw in 80 FVCKING SECONDS! Stunned, shocked, crying my eyes out sick to my stomach as I threw up in the men's room, heartbroken where it feels like my heart was ripped out of me. Just words cannot explain how I feel and the rest of the 17,625 that witnessed the last 80 FVCKING SECONDS of that game. Devils had the game won and thought they played very well for 58-minutes until the last 80 FVCKING SECONDS!

This was a bitter, tough, heartbreaking loss that will be in my mind all summer long until next season. It felt like a bad dream watching the last 80 FVCKING SECONDS of that Game 7. I do not blame Brodeur for this loss. It falls on some of the veterans that did not show up in this series. Also to blame is the piss poor defense that was just terrible at the end of some of these games and now game 7 to bite them on their asses. This Devils defense we will not see the same players as changes certainly need to be made. Goodbye to Mottau, Havelid and possibly Oduya who is an UFA. I hope I never see them play for the Devils again. Also goodbye to Rupp, Holik and possibly Shanahan who may retire.

Just still stunned how the Devils blew Game 7 and this series they should have won. They were 80 FVCKING SECONDS away from playing Washington in Round 2 and they let it slip away. Devils blew this Game 7 and the series and will say it over and over the main reason for another 1st round KO is because the Devils could not score on the fvcking PP when they needed it most. Going 3-30 I believe in this series is not going to win you the series or any series'. The Devils PP is what burned this team again in the first round.

Really feeling sick right now and just have these bad thoughts in my mind at the Prudential Center when the game ended, walking to the car, driving home and just right now very sick over all of this. Sounds nuts but i love this Devils team through the good and the bad and to see the way they lost tonight just kills me right now. This loss will have me shaken, bitter, heartbroken, distraught for a long time...This will be a game I will never forget and it is right up there in the top 5- all-time shattering playoff loses. It is up there with the 94' ECF and the 2001 SCF with me right now. What hurts too is that we had to see the last games of the Devils playoffs end in heartbreak fashion at the Prudential Center in its first two seasons. Can't handle it right now as I am very upset. This loss will stay with me a longtime....Going to be another long summer. :evilcry:

This just sucks right now....I feel bad for us Devils fans and the players in that locker room. I cannot believe the Devils lost Game 7 tonight. It was stolen away from them.

Edited by SatansDevils

Just got back.

100% numb. All I can do is slowly come to the realization that these NJ Devils are NOT the NJ Devils we've all come to love over the years. I watched their leader come out the last 2 games and put his team on his back and win games (where are you Claude Lemieux?) . I watched their goalie stand on his head despite numerous odd man rushes and keep his team in it despite the onslaught (where are you Marty Brodeur?) I watched their D-man dive in desperation, keeping a sure 2 on 0 rush out of our hands and more importantly keeping the puck in zone that lead to the tying goal (where are you Scott Niedermeyer?). If you switched jersey's tonight, you would have watched our beloved NJ Devils. The ones that would always find a way to get it done. Now, we're just a good regular season hockey team with a very good top line, a very average defense, an above average goaltender; a horrible power play and an average penalty kill. Never wanting to admit it, but I now must. The ride is over. I will enjoy the 3 Cups we've won as I'm not sure we'll ever get another. This team is in need of a new coach (sorry Brent, you were schooled in this one and we can't afford to keep being your internship for pro hockey) and new D, more scorers, but more importantly-- a NEW IDENTITY.

Time for another glass of Hemlock.

Good luck Carolina. We're going to owe you a lot as it was you who forced us to finally change.

Worst lost in franchise history!?

Im going to have a real tough time going back to the Rock next year, luckily i have college so i can only make it on breaks. I just dont know wat to say, we are 1:20 from having just a really really special moment. And they it is just snatched away right in front of your face. Devastating, just devastating.

I know its way early, but this team needs to be gutted. There is no way we can bring back a team that even resembles this. No way this same team can overcome this loss. Sutters gotta go and all the dead weight on this team. Can we please get younger and faster.

Im going to be depressed for months. fvck.

to people that saw this coming, the last game of 1996 was worse

i feel like my my heart has been ripped out of my chest

Yeah, that is what I've been feeling. But I understand if ppl gotta let it out and vent, better now than never.

Maybe it was that they didn't have enough heart, but then again, this team made it through this ridiculously difficult season because of 'heart' more than anything...

I think its the team's 'ability' that we have overestimated over and over again: let's face it, we're a 1.5 line team.

Parise-Zajac-Langenbrunner: that's our line, and I'm confident they're gonna be as filthy next year

Elias-Zubrus-Gionta: if this line is on, it can do damage. But I don't think I wanna risk it on whether Zubrus can get it going

Shanahan-Madden-Pandolfo: with all due respect to Shanny's 600+, do we really expect much here offensively?

Clarkson-Rupp/Holik-Rolston: if Rolston can get his game going, then we've got options. If Holik played this whole series and I were Sutter, I'd say: "you only have 1 job: Keep runnin' at Staal, break him down, get him off his game."

Can this team please pick up a center that would make Elias and Rolston effective. As much as i dont like Rolston, look at the line he is on. Does anyone expect him to do anything being slowed down with Clarkson and Rupp. I mean come on. Put a decent center between Elias and Rolston, and then lets evaluate Rolston. That still doesnt excuse his horse sh!t effort of a season. fvcking bust.

Well it took almost 2 hours to get home from this game and you get to think a lot about what happened. Some people are going to say they had seen this coming, that Carolina was the better team but I still wont buy that. I watched a team that was 1 minute and 20 seconds away from proving that wrong but I really can't comprehend what happened over that last minute or so. This was just a devastating loss.

Elias was hurt this series that much is obvious. How much we'll never know but when you consider what Jamie went through to get back into the lineup it just makes me even more certain that Elias was playing with something bad. He's a big game player and we never got to see that from him this series. That was strike one. The additional injuries during the series only made things that much worse.

Our defense is just not good enough to win in the playoffs. I appreciate everything each and every one of those defenders did for this team over the course of the season but between the failed clearing attempts and the suspect play, I've literally lost years off my life. Don't get me wrong, there is some decent talent on that blue line but we desperately need a stud d-man. No reason to even mention this because it's pretty obvious to everybody.

Cam Ward stole this fvcking game and no that is not a knock on Brodeur. That save he made on Langs in the 3rd was just ridiculous. So many chances to get that 4th goal but it never came.

Maybe now that stupid Rangers suck chant will finally die.

We needed better efforts from certain players. I believe Tri mentioned Zubrus playing well the last 2 games. He did, but where was that game for the first 5 games of the series? Brian Rolston - thank you for the goal tonight but you have a lot of making up to do next season.

Ironic how it was the Zajac line that was on the ice for the tying goal. Make no mistake, that was the goal that broke their backs. After all the penalties they killed and all the chances they couldn't convert on, to lose their hold on the game with such little time left was just crushing. They really played well today overall. Maybe Sutter wasn't so crazy after all?

There is so much more to touch base on but it's just really hard to put everything in perspective right now. I just want to give props to the people who believed in this group because it's the much harder thing to do. It's very easy to predict a team to lose or be negative because at the end of the day only one team out of 30 will win. The fact that most people feel that the Devils choked this series away though only proves that they could have and more importantly should have won this series. I just didn't see the need for all the negative sh*t we have been reading during the series. As you can see there will be plenty of time for that now.

Edited by SickMan

Quite frankly... it was an angry mob. That about sums it up.

Watching it on TV, in the final five minutes it seemed to me like the fans in the stands were just as on edge about the outcome as was the team.

I expected to see the whole arena standing and cheering every good play the team made, like they had been doing at other arenas in the final minutes of other playoff series. But instead, all I saw was the lower bowl sitting and watching, quietly. As usual, I could hear some noise coming from the upper tiers, but the arena as a whole seemed pretty queit, as if they were too scared to cheer confidently.

Am I wrong?

Edited by 95Crash

Watching it on TV, in the final five minutes it seemed to me like the fans in the stands were just as on edge about the outcome as was the team.

I expected to see the whole arena standing and cheering every good play the team made, like they had been doing at other arenas in the final minutes of other playoff series. But instead, all I saw was the lower bowl sitting and watching, quietly. As usual, I could hear some noise coming from the upper tiers, but the arena as a whole seemed pretty queit, as if they were too scared to cheer confidently.

Am I wrong?

Because of the way this team finishes games, they probably were. I know I was.

Am I wrong?

Because of the way this team finishes games, they probably were. I know I was.

Am I wrong?

Not really (meaning I agree) but I think the crowd was just sensing the team was once again playing scared, defensive hockey down the stretch and it came back to bite them in the worst way possible.

The only possible good that can come out of this is maybe it finally shocks Lou and Sutter into realizing once and for all that the pre-lockout trap and offenseless checking line won't work anymore. Lou needs to take Madden and Pando away from Sutter (and himself), they're like a drug neither can walk away from. As much as I like and respect them they've outlived their usefulness.

Edited by NJDevs26

They wanted it more, simple as that. People can say; "Oh only 30 seconds tonight, and 00.2 the other game" all they want. THAT'S what the difference is between Good Teams -vs- Great Teams. Great teams play till the absolute last second. They play an entire game, not just 59 minutes of it.

Worst lost in franchise history?

You're joking right? There's no way this trumps; 1988, 1994, or 2001 as far as post'season blunders. Sh!t, I'd say the 1996 Sens game was worse than tonight. (although, I will feel alot worse if Carolina goes deep into the playoffs I must admit.)

The person I feel really bad for in all of this is Mr. Vanderbeek. This poor guy, a former season ticket holder who buys his team. His first year as owner is a frigging lockout. He gets two lame duck years at the Deadowlands with disappointing finishes, surely loses a lot of money there, and then last year gets his dream to become a reality, and this team just kicks us all square in the crotch. What do they do for an encore? Give us one extra home game and then proceed to make that the worst home game in franchise history.

I don't know, maybe he needs to be more of a curmudgeon like Doc McMullen was. Maybe he needs to go into the locker room and rip them all apart like McMullen did and tell them he needs more home games and revenue or they'll all be out on their @ss. Who knows. It's 2am and I'm trying to think of anything else other than the game. This entire team owes us and their owner an apology.

I have a feeling this is going to be a very ugly off-season.

They wanted it more, simple as that. People can say; "Oh only 30 seconds tonight, and 00.2 the other game" all they want. THAT'S what the difference is between Good Teams -vs- Great Teams. Great teams play till the absolute last second. They play an entire game, not just 59 minutes of it.

You're joking right? There's no way this trumps; 1988, 1994, or 2001 as far as post'season blunders. Sh!t, I'd say the 1996 Sens game was worse than tonight. (although, I will feel alot worse if Carolina goes deep into the playoffs I must admit.)

*shudders* that 96 game was a really rough one.

I don't think we have to worry about that, there is no way they will beat the Bruins in the second round. They are better offensively, defensively and in goal. Ward will not shine against the Bruins offensive prowess. I don't think Carolina has a good team, they had a worst team than ours, but simply wanted it more. We played non-playoff hockey during the playoffs, if we beat Carolina, we would have lost in the next round regardless. If Carolina plays the way they did against us, they will win 2 games, and that's a BIG maybe.

Maybe now that stupid Rangers suck chant will finally die.

It won't. To many people that go to Devils games have a inferiority complex that will never go away. There was a guy sitting in front of me calling all his Ranger friends on the phone laughing at them and cracking jokes about the golf course. We are in a Game 7 and this idiot is more concerned that the Rags lost then we what the Devils were doing on the ice. IN A GAME 7!!!!!!!!

Right there I had a feeling we were fvcked. As soon as the game was over I looked at him and asked if he is still laughing. I hate to say it but I hope that everyone he called gave it back to him ten fold. I am so sick and tired of people more concerned about the stupid ass Rangers then our own team That ridiculous chant can't end anytime soon. Sadly, it won't.