A fun distraction

Devilsfan118

So NHL 94 has those black Devils road uniforms too. Odd, I thought that was just NHLPA 93.

I took my Sega Genesis out of storage a few months ago and have had it hooked up ever since. I thought I had only NHLPA 93 and NHL 96, but now that I see the opening screens and hear the theme music, I'm convinced I have NHL 94 somewhere. Just have to go find it now.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, NHL 96 is pretty good too. Probably has something to do with having the '95 Cup roster in it.

To follow up on my earlier post in this thread: I did eventually find my copy of NHL 94... and found NHL 95 right next to it! NHL 95 is so much different than the rest of the series; I don't know if it was developed by a different studio or what, but it's practically unrecognizable as an EA Sports NHL game.

Yeah, NHL 96 is pretty good too. Probably has something to do with having the '95 Cup roster in it.

To follow up on my earlier post in this thread: I did eventually find my copy of NHL 94... and found NHL 95 right next to it! NHL 95 is so much different than the rest of the series; I don't know if it was developed by a different studio or what, but it's practically unrecognizable as an EA Sports NHL game.

Well, you're sorta right on this. NHL '94 was developed for both the Genesis and SNES by EA Canada and High Score Productions but when NHL '95 came around, the publishing rights split. The Genesis version would be done solely by High Score and the SNES version would be developed by Visual Concepts, who would go on to do the NHL 2K series. Given this, it makes sense the two versions would be different as High Score had total development control.

That being said, I looked at some screenshots and while the two years have some noticable differences, '95 still feels like an EA game. Now if you have NHL All Star Hockey '95, that would make sense as that game was developed by Sega themselves and is totally different.

I think the first NHL game I ever played addictively was NHL 96 or 97...or it might've been 98, for the N64.

...good times

If it was on the N64, it was NHL '99 as that was the first one to come out for that system. That was my big upgrade from NHL '96 on the SNES and I remember how jaw dropping it was at the time. Ironically, that is the one game in the series that does not hold up over time. The 16 bit style games are still fun in a classic sort of way and still are a blast to play, but those early 2000 hockey games are brutal to play now, NHL '99 especially.

If it was on the N64, it was NHL '99 as that was the first one to come out for that system. That was my big upgrade from NHL '96 on the SNES and I remember how jaw dropping it was at the time. Ironically, that is the one game in the series that does not hold up over time. The 16 bit style games are still fun in a classic sort of way and still are a blast to play, but those early 2000 hockey games are brutal to play now, NHL '99 especially.

Oh yeah, going back now there's no 'novelty' factor..it's painful to play. But as you said, at the time it was just 'Wow'