ERHOFF signs w/BUF

DevilinLA

OFFICIAL: As reported per Mckenzie Erhoff signs w/BUF

Reported terms are 10 years $40M ($4m Cap hit) - if true whoaa....

TSNBobMcKenzie Bob McKenzie

Awaiting confirmation on this, but hearing Ehrhoff's deal in Buffalo is 10 years, $40 million. No clue yet on structure within that.

Edited by DevilinLA

The Hoff Speaks:

“I was originally going to wait and see what was available on the free agent market,” said Christian Ehrhoff. “After the Sabres acquired my rights and I spoke with Terry Pegula and Darcy Regier, I did my due diligence on the team and I was very impressed. I called some former teammates and others in the NHL who also had great things to say and I was aware that Robyn Regehr had waived his no-trade clause in his contract this week to join the Sabres. My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen.”

I like the deal for Buffalo (with no NMC). I think Ehrhoff will be worth at least 4 million for the next 6 years, then for years 7-10 Buffalo is either betting the cap goes up, Ehrhoff keeps up his level of play, or they won't mind burying him in Rochester/buying out his contract. Also at a 4 million cap hit, they can still potentially sign Richards.

The rest:

TSNBobMcKenzie Bob McKenzie

Year 3: $4M; Year 4: $4M, Year 5: $4M; Year 6: $4M; Year 7: $3M; Year 8; $1M; Year 9: $1M, Year 10: $1M. Modified NTC. Cap hit=$4M/yr. #tsn

Year 7 to year 8 he drops more then 1/2 his salary. I thought you couldn't do that...or was that changed during Kovalgate rule changes?

Edited by Coorslight

At first I freaked out over the 10 years, but looking at it closer and realizing that 85% of this deal is paid after Year 6, it is essentially a 6 year deal.

All I say is after 25+ years of being a fan of this team with a decent owner (Seymour Knox III) a crooked owner (John Rigas) and an owner who didn't give a damn after the first 18 months (Tom Golisano)...I am stunned wiht the turnaround under Terry Pegula. It cannot be overstated: You can have all the $ and the good coach etc, without ownership that A. Has some money to spend and B. Cares deeply to win, you generally won't.

Hell ill call it now: Brad Richards a Buffalo Sabres by this time tomorrow!!!

Well, the GM's certainly found another loophole pretty quick. lol. Signing bonuses should be treated exactly the same as ELC performance bonuses in the next CBA. Total joke that you get hit on the performance bonuses with the cushion off, but you can do what happened here and with Bryz and not take the hit.

Well, the GM's certainly found another loophole pretty quick. lol. Signing bonuses should be treated exactly the same as ELC performance bonuses in the next CBA. Total joke that you get hit on the performance bonuses with the cushion off, but you can do what happened here and with Bryz and not take the hit.

the signing bonus counts against the salary cap. not sure how your math is working out.

the signing bonus counts against the salary cap. not sure how your math is working out.

He makes $10M next year. His cap hit is $4M. There's not much else to it. Bryz's deal works the exact same way.

It's cartoonish frontloading that is legal, or at least not implied to be illegal. 25% of a 10 year deal in year 1.

He makes $10M next year. His cap hit is $4M. There's not much else to it. Bryz's deal works the exact same way.

It's cartoonish frontloading that is legal, or at least not implied to be illegal. 25% of a 10 year deal in year 1.

Front loading has been a problem for a long while now, it's not new and it doesn't have much to do with signing bonuses really. It was a bone, I believe, that was thrown to the really big and the really small market teams. It lets the large teams artificially spend over the cap ceiling and the smaller teams artificially spend under the cap floor.

Front loading has been a problem for a long while now, it's not new and it doesn't have much to do with signing bonuses really. It was a bone, I believe, that was thrown to the really big and the really small market teams. It lets the large teams artificially spend over the cap ceiling and the smaller teams artificially spend under the cap floor.

It's also massive circumvention, over 200% of the cap value, which even the most ridiculous Kovalchuk years don't touch.

And I think those contracts are a joke, so it's not sour grapes.

I hope someone sheets Stamkos tomorrow at 10/85-90 using this crap

It's also massive circumvention, over 200% of the cap value, which even the most ridiculous Kovalchuk years don't touch.

And I think those contracts are a joke, so it's not sour grapes.

I agree, a few years ago I was railing against them as getting around the purpose of having a cap, Gomez is a good example of the less extreme but still major problem that these represent.

I'm damn impressed with Buffalo aggressiveness, and I agree wholeheartedly with McKenzie that they will be players for Richards. All they're lacking is a #1 center, boom there it is.

Buffalo could be DEADLY next year

Like I said in another post, their blue-line could be good....SCARY GOOD! [You catch the reference, LOTCB?]

well, yeah, if they're going to violate the "spirit" of the CBA, of course they'll be players for Richards, since they'll probably come close to maxing him up front

They probably didn't legally violate the spirit though. The new, more defined rules mean anything within the new rules is within the spirit, most likely.

And yet if we tried to re-sign Parise to a 12-year 60 million dollar deal with him getting 40 million in the first four years the NHL'd haul our butts back to court again :rolleyes:

God, I can't stand this league. Every other team in it gets away with skirting the rules and violating the 'spirit' of the CBA.

I hope it's the Leafs so Burke can really show (again) what a hypocrite he is.

Edited by NJDevs4978