Devils' captain miffed

Rock

Devils' captain miffed

http://www.bergenrecord.com/page.php?qstr=...2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk2

(This is not good.)

Thursday, March 25, 2004

By TOM GULITTI

STAFF WRITER

TAMPA, Fla. - Apparently angry over speculation that some within the organization are privately questioning whether he truly suffered a concussion, Devils' captain Scott Stevens abruptly canceled a planned conference call with reporters Wednesday.

Stevens, who has not played since Jan. 7 because of post-concussion syndrome, finally began skating Monday. After cutting off contact with the media for several weeks, Stevens was supposed to discuss his recovery with the reporters who cover the team.

That plan was apparently scuttled over a published report that some within the organization have wondered if Stevens' post-concussion symptoms might be the result of burnout or fatigue, a theory that has been floating around for some time.

That prompted Devils' general manager Lou Lamoriello to publicly acknowledge for the first time that Stevens had suffered a concussion, as diagnosed by Montreal-based neurologist Dr. Karen Johnston in January.

"He's recovering from a concussion and he has been treated as such," Lamoriello said Wednesday while the Devils were on the ice at the St. Pete Times Forum preparing for tonight's game against the Tampa Bay Lightning. "Scott Stevens wants to play and he's going through all the steps to play, and as soon as he is given that green light he will play."

Stevens did not return a telephone message left for him Wednesday.

Lamoriello using the C-word is significant because he had previously remained non-committal. It should also be noted that the team's injury report has continued to list the reason for Stevens' absence as "ill" rather than a concussion. The Devils initially said Stevens was suffering from the flu.

Lamoriello said it is his personal policy to leave it up to the player and the doctor to discuss concussions and other complex injuries that cannot be revealed by a simple X-ray, CT scan, MRI, etc. Stevens' case was made more complicated because his concussion cannot be traced to one specific hit.

"I don't know what a concussion is or a concussion isn't. I'm not a doctor," Lamoriello said. "But he is in a post-concussion situation and it has progressed 100 percent accordingly."

Lamoriello's sudden change in public stance seemed to be sparked by Stevens, who has an undisputed track record of playing through pain, feeling insulted by the suggestion that he might not be injured. Lamoriello said there was no official reason for canceling the conference call and did not answer when asked if Stevens was angry.

"There has been a little bit of confusion of people questioning certain things," Lamoriello said. "There should be no confusion. Scott Stevens, if he were allowed today to play, he would play."

Although Stevens skated in New Jersey again Wednesday, Lamoriello said he has not yet been cleared by Johnston to practice with the team. And with less than two weeks until the start of the playoffs, it remains uncertain whether Stevens will be ready in time.

"Right now he is doing fine," Lamoriello said. "He's progressing and when he's ready to play, he'll play."

Meanwhile, the Devils are continuing to prepare as if they're going to have to start the playoffs without him.

"Scotty is not here right now, so I have to go and coach my team as if Scotty Stevens is not there," Devils' coach Pat Burns said. "And [tonight], Scotty Stevens will not be there. And until he is there, I can't comment on what I think. It doesn't make a difference right now because he hasn't been there in the past and I don't know if he's going to be there in the future. He's skating, he's progressing, fine. When he's ready, if he is ready, and he does play, hey, great."

DEVILS BRIEF: The Devils signed forward Aaron Voros, the club's 10th draft pick in 2001 out of Alaska-Fairbanks. The 6-foot-4, 190-pounder has been assigned to Albany.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it just me, or is anyone else dissappointed with the way Stevens has handled all of this? He is our Captain and many have been concerned but he just hid himself away, really (from reports) not having much contact with the team. Now he's going to pout because someone thinks it was burnout? Jeez Scott, you lay out crushing hits on opponents but run away when someone (probably a hot dog vendor) questions if it was really a concussion. Sorry, I expected more from him.....

plus I would think just good ol common sense says the last thing you want after a

head injury is all the buzz and normal crap you get from the media and if you're out

as long as he has been it must get annoying to have your injury questioned by a

bunch of know-nothing idiots trying to break a story that ISN'T

but I don't like the print media regardless :D

I have to say there are times that Lou's propaganda machine has worked - but looking at the results, this isn't one of them. This has been mishandled from the outset and now instead of looking forward to 'when is he', we are discussing who he's pissed at and if there is dissention. Just once I like us to treat a situation with some class. Sheesh! :evilcry:

"class" is a relative word here... I kinda like that we hide our injuries... but I'm also

a big fan of conspiracies B ) .... plus I never did like the idea of telling my opponents

exactly where it hurts so that they know what to go after (ok I may watch too much

wrestling... sue me :P )

I think Scotty could have handled this better. I don't think cancelling the press conference was the right move. The public, the media and the team need the record set straight and there is no one that can do that but the Captain himself.

One line in this article totally cracked me up :rofl:Lamoriello using the C-word :rofl: I'm sorry, I thought that was hysterical. I think most know there is only one "c" word and it isn't concussion. :rofl:

Shutting up right now. :rofl: No offense intended.

One line in this article totally cracked me up :rofl:Lamoriello using the C-word :rofl: I'm sorry, I thought that was hysterical. I think most know there is only one "c" word and it isn't concussion. :rofl:

Now that you put it out there how funny would it be if Stevens just came out and

said

"See You Next Tuesday" and left ???

(let's see how many people get this one without me having to um.... spell it out :evil: )

One line in this article totally cracked me up  :rofl:Lamoriello using the C-word   :rofl: I'm sorry, I thought that was hysterical.  I think most know there is only one "c" word and it isn't concussion.  :rofl:

Now that you put it out there how funny would it be if Stevens just came out and

said

"See You Next Tuesday" and left ???

(let's see how many people get this one without me having to um.... spell it out :evil: )

I think you did. :rofl:

hey I'll play stubbs here and say ... I get the c word of course but "See You Next Tuesday" I don't get it... :evil:

now you're just trying to get me in trouble :evil:

But I Cacth what U are trying to do and I will have None

of.. well you know :unsure::blink::P

I was cranky enough this morning (I'm not a morning person to begin with and the weather made it more difficult to wake up). Now this. Both sides are at fault...they should both "say sorry" to each other and move on. Maybe Donna Stevens (who seems to be the most rational adult in all of this) can kick some butt and make them all deal with each other.

I am glad to see that Stevens did not cancel the call because his health took a step back, though. That at least is a good sign.

Ohhh! See You... that's what i wasn't getting! :lol: I feel like my husband - he never gets jokes! I LOVE that about him! :wub:

you know nothing IS funnier then when the lights come on when someone doesn't

get a joke :lol:

Ohhh!  See You...  that's what i wasn't getting!  :lol:   I feel like my husband - he never gets jokes!  I LOVE that about him!  :wub:

you know nothing IS funnier then when the lights come on when someone doesn't

get a joke :lol:

It's true. It's funnier than getting the joke yourself most of the time...

:rofl:

Well -- this did do a lot to get me over Stevens! :lol:

I've decided the only living creature to see the Stevens I'd adore is his dog. This other guy is probably just a bombastic defensive humorless prick. It's his cover and he's sticking with it :rolleyes: I'm sure Donna's not much different except she doesn't even like the dog.

I love passing judgement on those I've never met :evil: but I'm annoyed at this whole stupid thing.