Players comments on Burns

Weekes Head

Defenceman Scott Niedermayer said he didn't notice anything different about Burns in the weeks leading up to the playoffs.

``He was trying to get the team ready 100 per cent just like he always does,'' Niedermayer said. ``We didn't notice anything until he didn't come to a couple of morning skates. Then we knew he wasn't feeling well.''

A three-time winner of the Jack Adams Award as the NHL's top coach, Burns replaced Kevin Constantine behind the Devils bench on June 13, 2002, and won his first Stanley Cup ring last spring when the Devils defeated the Anaheim Mighty Ducks in the final.

On Sunday, he praised his team's efforts in the regular season and the playoffs, and lamented the timing of the illness.

``I wasn't the coach I should have been the last couple of weeks, but I had a lot of things on my mind so it was understandable,'' he said.

Defenceman Scott Stevens described the reaction of his fellow players to Burns' illness as ``shock and depression.''

``This definitely puts everything in perspective,'' Stevens said. ``Hopefully he'll fight through this. He's a tough guy.''

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=80673&hubName=nhl

Maybe he is speaking to people but they find it easier to tell the media that he isn't so they dont have to answer questions about his health and get hate posts like Lou and Burns!

capt.era10404181802.devils_burns_era104.jpg

New Jersey Devils' Scott Stevens talkis to the media after coach Pat Burns announced at a news conference that he has been diagnosed with colon cancer Sunday, April 18, 2004, in East Rutherford, N.J.

capt.era10204181739.devils_burns_era102.jpg

New Jersey Devils coach Pat Burns reads a statement that he has been diagnosed with colon cancer while his wife Line, looks on during a news conference Sunday, April 18, 2004, in East Rutherford, N.J. Burns, 52, said his status with the team will be determined in five weeks, the earliest the treatment could end.

Why all the negativity towards Stevens folks?

People are just mystified as to why Stevens dropped off the face of the earth while he was hurt. Being out of the lineup is one thing, but not even talking to the media or the team is gonna be called into question, although that could have been something Lou and/or his doctor encouraged. Of course we STILL have heard nothing about whether he was told to stay away or even the nature of Stevens' injury, I didn't expect anything today though because this is Burns' day and yesterday we had just lost in the playoffs.

People are just mystified as to why Stevens dropped off the face of the earth while he was hurt. Being out of the lineup is one thing, but not even talking to the media or the team is gonna be called into question, although that could have been something Lou and/or his doctor encouraged. Of course we STILL have heard nothing about whether he was told to stay away or even the nature of Stevens' injury, I didn't expect anything today though because this is Burns' day and yesterday we had just lost in the playoffs.

I think its totally reasonable to speculate that the team as a whole didn't want Scott Stevens' playing status to be a constant distraction to the team as well as possible excuse for lackluster play all season long. Seems logical to me that Burns, Lamoriello, and Stevens all figured it would be in the teams best interests not to further fuel all the questions and media frenzy which we saw all the way through yesterdays final Devils playoff game. It gets tiresome to have the players, coaches, and GM's constantly addressing the same questions over and over again. From a morale standpoint, you want to focus strictly on the positives heading into the playoffs as opposed to the unknowns. Its a team first mentality and I think the same can probably be applied to Burns not wanting to disclose details of his cancer to his players before the playoffs began in the interests of keeping everyone as focused at the task at hand as humanly possible.

Edited by Guest

Kind of sucks that the first time we hear from Stevens in months is under such sullen circumstances. I'm glad to see my prediction of Stevens with long greasy hair, pallid complexion and sunken eyes isn't true.

Best of luck to Burns. If anyone can get through this type of thing, it's Burns. My thoughts are with his family, also.

Edited by Hells

Not a current player quote mind you, but one from a former player Burns coached:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/hock...s.ap/index.html

"He was great with me. He was very supportive and always helping me," said Boston's Andrew Raycroft, who played briefly for Burns. "That's unbelievable. It's too bad and I wish him the best, and I'm sure he'll fight through."

I remember Byron Dafoe had great things to say about Pat Burns also after he was let go by the Bruins.

Some things in life are personal and no one's business...dirty laundry as Don Henley once sang...give us dirty laundry...an athlete is human...either they are healthy or they are not...it is not our business unless they want to share...how one cares for themselves is their business also...some bitched about Burns missing morning skates for personal reasons...see what the truth was...now would you (plural) want to see Stevens' BP go up and have a stroke so you can see he was really hurt...personal is personal...if they don't want us to know so be it...stop speculating...if you were busy minding your own business you wouldn't be minding Stevens' business :rant:

btw thi is nothing personal Hasan...adding a bit...just my generic board rant...hope you understand :)

I just saw Nieds and Stevens talk about it,

man I'm almost in tears. This is just so sad...We should make a big card...wait...this is online...nevermind..

but still. this is just so sad and devestating. I hope after evrything is over he can come back or atleast be involved with the etam.

Best of luck to Burns..man i'm so sad :(

I was telling someone tonight... I understand the frustration people can have not knowing what is going on, but I dont understand the getting angry over it... When I call in sick to work.. i dont tell anyone why... I say Im not coming in, I dont feel well... when i take a personal day.. I dont give a reason.. even if its to go away for a day... its no ones business.... Why should it be any different for their careers... I know we wanna knwo whats going on with our team.. but if they said stevens was gonna come back..assuming it wasnt serious.. and he didn't everyone would be mad... and why say he is not coming back if u arent certain... they told us what he had... they didnt even need to do that...

Anyhow, I was glad to see him looking healthy at least!!!

I was telling someone tonight... I understand the frustration people can have not knowing what is going on, but I dont understand the getting angry over it... When I call in sick to work.. i dont tell anyone why... I say Im not coming in, I dont feel well... when i take a personal day.. I dont give a reason.. even if its to go away for a day... its no ones business.... Why should it be any different for their careers... I know we wanna knwo whats going on with our team.. but if they said stevens was gonna come back..assuming it wasnt serious.. and he didn't everyone would be mad... and why say he is not coming back if u arent certain... they told us what he had... they didnt even need to do that...

Anyhow, I was glad to see him looking healthy at least!!!

There's a big difference between a sick day and being out three months. You'd have to tell someone at 'that' point. Besides, athletes and sports figures aren't like us...it's the nature of their occupation that their health and lives are pretty much public record aside from the truly personal stuff (day-to-day home life and stuff like that). It may not be 'fair' but neither is the disparity between their salary and ours. That's part of the price they pay for making the big bucks and being in the spotlight and for having fans and teammates depend on them.

I understand what u are saying.. and partially agree... but with somehting such at PCS u may not know what hte symptoms were.. so maybe he did think he had a flu.. but when he says that and it ends up being something different.. everyone is mad that they lied, so I just feel thats y it wasnt so specific... i could vomit and feel like crap..for 5 days and think it was a flu.. Ive had concussions, but never PCS so i cant say I know its hard to tell.. but from what ive heard its not something u can prove.. its just symptoms that u sort of have to assume thats what it is.. !! Even on LTD u dont have to tell all the people who worked for u.. just tell a boss and the insurance company... but i do understand what u are saying about the salary etc..lives being public... I can just think of other public high paying professions that dont get into major detail when something is wrong, but just stay to the point.

I feel like they did tell us... they could have just said he isnt playing.. but they told us what they knew... maybe you still dont believe thats what it is... but I guess I have believed it.. Its not something u can predict when u will feel better or cleared by Dr's to play... then I dont really see what the fault is.

Same with everyone speculating about burns missing 2 days... so many people got upset he missed practice...it was 2 days.. not 2 months of missing... the guy finds out he has cancer.. and people are angry cause he took 2 days off and didnt tell the world why...

I just think he has the right to have those 2 days to himself and tell people when he is ready! Just my opinion!

Edited by langsgirl

I understand what u are saying.. and partially agree... but with somehting such at PCS u may not know what hte symptoms were.. so maybe he did think he had a flu.. but when he says that and it ends up being something different.. everyone is mad that they lied... i could vomit and feel like crap..for 5 days and think it was a flu.. Ive had concussions, but never PCS so i cant say I know its hard to tell.. but from what ive heard its not something u can prove.. its just symptoms that u sort of have to assume thats what it is.. !!

Same with everyone speculating about burns missing 2 days... so many people got upset he missed... and had to speculate.. it was 2 days.. not 2 months of missing... the guy finds out he has cancer.. and people are angry cause he took 2 days off and didnt tell the world why...

I just think

http://bruins.bostonherald.com/bruins/view.bg?articleid=561

Burns' news stuns Bruins

By Stephen Harris/ Bruins Notebook

Monday, April 19, 2004

For those Bruins who have played in past seasons for Pat Burns, the news yesterday that the New Jersey coach is suffering from colon cancer was shocking and sad.

``I just saw it on ESPN,'' said Mike Knuble, who played for Burns in brief parts of two seasons in Boston. ``I couldn't believe it. I didn't get to know him very well when he was here, but the guys here who had him longer than I did respect the hell out of him. I'm sure that's the case with every team he coached. I wish the best for him. It's a humbling thing. It just shows you this disease can strike anywhere.''

Goalie Felix Potvin played under Burns for four seasons with the Toronto Maple Leafs.

``He's the guy who gave me my start in Toronto,'' Potvin said. ``It's pretty shocking news. I hope he's going to be OK.''

B's goalie Andrew Raycroft was in several training camps under Burns, and played a handful of games on Burns' final B's club.

``He was great for me, very supportive,'' Raycroft said. ``He was always helping me. It's unbelievable news. I wish him the best, obviously. I'm sure he'll fight through it.''

B's coach Mike Sullivan played one season in Boston under Burns.

``Whenever you hear news like that it's just devastating,'' Sullivan said. ``I was fortunate enough to have the opportunity to play for Pat the one year that I was here in Boston. My thoughts are with him. He certainly is a guy who has made a significant contribution to hockey.''