Primeau a Legend?

njdev26

It might have come off wrong. But I have to agree with Clement here. Primeau is what makes these Flyers tick. He set the tone against the Devils and he crushed the Leafs too. And the fact is that when the Flyers win, it's usually something their leader does that gets them going. He's having the same kind of impact Scott Stevens had in 2000 for the Devils.

The question is, "Can Tampa Bay neutralize him and turn the tide?"

I guess we'll find out in Game Five.

As much as I hate to admit it, in all fairness Primeau has had one heck of a playoffs. He's been a key player, and yeah -- he has played his ass off every single game, including today. Primeau was the #1 star of the game today IMO, and if the Flyers DO win the Cup (which I pray they don't...go Calgary!), Primeau should definitely be considered heavily for the Conn Smythe.

Just my two cents...

Anything Clement says about any Flyer, Avalanche, or Red Wing is he "is the best __________________ in the NHL." As a poster on another board once said, "Clement thinks every play is the the greatest play in the history of hockey." I can't remember the source but I always think of that statement when I think of Clement saying something that sounds overboard. BTW, I think "Milan Hejduk is one of the greatest snipers of all time". :rofl:

Why the hell do some of youl have to bash the guy. He is haveing an amazing year, stop being disrespectfull for once.

I don't think the bashing is directed towards Primeau as much as it is towards the announcers

Why the hell do some of youl have to bash the guy. He is haveing an amazing year, stop being disrespectfull for once.

I don't think the bashing is directed towards Primeau as much as it is towards the announcers

thas a given... as the announcers SUCK!

Primeau had a very good year when he has been healthy, in fact, in the first half of the year, when he couldn't play, the Flyers didn't win the game. When he was out with the concussion late in the year, though, the Flyers held up better, mostly because by that time Handzus had stepped up his play and Zhamnov was kicking in points. I would say that Primeau seems to have decided that he will play any role the team needs him to play, if it will get him a Cup. Which means he has FINALLY grown up and that shouldn't be discounted when thinking about the leadership role he plays on the team. Other players have to know that he has basically sacrificed his former role as a #2 center to be a checking center. That says something to his team, that he is willing to put the team before himself, and makes it more likely they will follow him.

And he has had an excellent playoffs. Don't downplay the impact he has had. He is running over people and scoring timely goals. As someone has mentioned, if Philly actually wins it, he's a Conn Smyth candidate.

BUT...one good year does not a LEGEND make. I'm perfectly willing to give Primeau credit for stepping up and finally making himself into a player who is giving himself up for his team and is making a real difference for them. But it is typical Clement idiocy to equate that with a LEGEND.

Primeau had a very good year but he was out of the lineup with the head injury for a few games. He's having an amazing playoffs and if Philly makes it to the finals, he's a top candidate for the Conn Smythe.

As for being a legend - hah! You only have to look at his entire career to know he's nothing close to being a legend. He is ABC's prime pick to root for in these playoffs. Like someone mentioned, last year was Giguere, the year before Irbe etc. The way they talk about him, it's like he's the savior of mankind. THN has a terrific article in the latest issue talking about the differences between a broadcast by TSN and ESPN.

Primeau + Coffey for Shanahan still remains to be the best trade the Red Wings made in a long time.

Primeau had a very good year but he was out of the lineup with the head injury for a few games. He's having an amazing playoffs and if Philly makes it to the finals, he's a top candidate for the Conn Smythe.

As for being a legend - hah! You only have to look at his entire career to know he's nothing close to being a legend. He is ABC's prime pick to root for in these playoffs. Like someone mentioned, last year was Giguere, the year before Irbe etc. The way they talk about him, it's like he's the savior of mankind. THN has a terrific article in the latest issue talking about the differences between a broadcast by TSN and ESPN.

Primeau + Coffey for Shanahan still remains to be the best trade the Red Wings made in a long time.

I saw the THN article, Funky. If it weren't so sadly true it would have been hysterical. Don't we deserve better????

About the rest of his career...my point exactly. He was a disappointment in Detroit, and spent a good part of his time in Carolina arguing about his salary, which is what finally got him traded to Philly. It's only this season that he seems to have really taken on a TRUE leadership role (despite wearing the 'C' before), and he's done it by sacrificing his role for the collective good of the team. But I won't call someone a legend for one year. Athough I admit Paul Henderson kind of became a legend for ONE GOAL...under completely different circumstances.

BUT...one good year does not a LEGEND make. I'm perfectly willing to give Primeau credit for stepping up and finally making himself into a player who is giving himself up for his team and is making a real difference for them. But it is typical Clement idiocy to equate that with a LEGEND.

Again, I think there's a difference between Primeau being a legend and Primeau HAVING a legend. I think that's what the comment was: the legend OF Keith Primeau.

Even with a Conn Smythe, Primeau isn't Guy Carbonneau as far as defensive centermen go. He's still a big lumbering player who never lived up to his potential.

But should he carry the Flyers to the Cup, and get the Conn Smythe, stories are going to be told about his run for decades to come. The shorthanded goals. The freight-train way he played nearly every shift. The fact that he single-handedly thwarted any Tampa rush after the Vinny goal in Game 4.

Wanna know the difference between a legendary player and the legend of a player? Two words: Kirk Gibson.

<JESTER>

I saw the THN article, Funky. If it weren't so sadly true it would have been hysterical. Don't we deserve better????

You are absolutely correct, we deserve so much better. Why is it that many of us despite having ESPN broadcasts available chose to take advantage of that CBC broadcast and prefer watching that channel? Intelligent broadcasting is way better than ESPN's attempt at trying to sell the game to the audience. From the _____ on the ice tags to constantly kissing a player's behind when the game is on, ESPN sometimes seriously baffles me. Just how many times does Steve Levy call Nabakov, Kipper? And in the intermission we have guys like John Saunders saying, "I had heard Iginla was good and I was a fan of his, but after watching him play, I'm a bigger fan." WTF? I'd rather watch Coach's Corner any day.

Referring to the THN article, the writer made an excellent point about David Aebischer. ESPN was busy telling us how mindblowing he is where as TSN analyzed his game and broke down his weaknesses - the same weaknesses, which were very apparent in round 1 against Dallas but didn't blow up because of a poor performance by the Stars.

And the article is correct, the ESPN guys look for laughs, where as TSN/CBC look for analyzing the game. ESPN announcers even contradic themselves several times. Geez, where to begin, where to end...