NJDevs 2013 Fantasy Football draft finished!

aylbert

*sigh* I want to wait for that injury update.....but my walk slowed sh!t enough.....the last of the starting RBs left....

Rashard Mendenhall (RB-Ariz)

You should have taken him instead of a defense in the sixth round then :P  (supposedly Gronk might come back Week 3...but as always the key with him is how much he stays on the field after that)

This whole draft's been like a self-fulfilling prophecy coming back to haunt me though...the hoarding RB's is always worse here than even normal leagues and seems even worse this year (I got Ridley in Round 6 last year, there's squat left now unless you randomly get Alfred Morris-type lucky late) And more people held their water on drafting QB's than the last couple years.

Edited by NJDevs4978

There's WR's up the wazoo you could put in Flex this year imo, or at least ones that are going to score more than a handful of the backs that have gone off the board...the big issue to me is more having the third RB to fill in during byes or protecting against injuries :P

I normally do like having the Flex be a third RB too though...but figured I probably was passing on it when I picked Nicks.  Problem is I hated one of the backs I was considering with that pick (Mathews) and didn't trust the other one (Mendenhall) enough to use a high fifth-rounder.

Edited by NJDevs4978

There's WR's up the wazoo you could put in Flex this year imo, or at least ones that are going to score more than a handful of the backs that have gone off the board...the big issue to me is more having the third RB to fill in during byes or protecting against injuries :P

If you need 3, then you need a 4th :)

I'm just cranky cause you and ayl took my top two choices remaining, and probably the third one's going before my pick too at this rate.  And cause I misread the market on a couple of positions.

But even I had to laugh when red was complaining that he thought Richardson was going to fall to him.  I was thinking to myself 'Seriously?  A starting RB falling another twenty spots?  Good luck with that in THIS league' :P

Edited by NJDevs4978

My poor GF last night had to hear my first tantrum in the almost six months I've known her when I saw Matthews went the one pick before me (Clown wasn't taking him :P ), so I feel no pity for stomping on you with my plan B B )

I'm just cranky cause you and ayl took my top two choices remaining, and probably the third one's going before my pick too at this rate.  And cause I misread the market on a couple of positions.

But even I had to laugh when red was complaining that he thought Richardson was going to fall to him.  I was thinking to myself 'Seriously?  A starting RB falling another twenty spots?  Good luck with that in THIS league' :P

I've had the worst luck with RBs. Two yeas ago my tandem of Johnson/Charles was the biggest disaster ever. Last year I decided to invest early in every position, and wait a bit on RBs, hoping I could find some late round magic...and it never happened. I couldn't believe people were grabbing their 4th and 5th RB before I had my second. I definitely thought I could wait on certain guys, but it never happened. And each week I got sh!t all from my the RB slot. No matter how good my receivers or QB was, I was screwed.

he's a 3rd QB you grab late and hope it sticks to the wall enough you can play him later in the season....much like Russel Wilson was last year.....

he's a 3rd QB you grab late and hope it sticks to the wall enough you can play him later in the season....much like Russel Wilson was last year.....

Wilson was like a 10th/11th round pick that was already getting huge hype when he was drafted here though.  And Geno also has the problem of not having NFL WR's on his roster (at least not until Holmes decides to ride in on his white horse and we'll have one).

lol we must have put the hex on Geno :P  

The keeper thing does skew it too, even I have to catch myself saying a guy's an early 5th rounder when he's more like a late 5th rounder when factoring in the later-round keepers who would have been drafted before that point in a standard draft (Spiller, Morris).

So far I'm feel like I'm not competing in this draft outside the 1st round... which is good but scares me.  I saw a few comments about my players (Richardson, Matthews, Gronk), so I'll just summarize my first 5 rounds.

I really was hoping Foster would fall to me with his health concerns; or one of my other top 6 players would be there at #7; but they went 1-6 (not in the order I thought, but still, 1-6).   It left me contemplating Calvin Johnson vs Trent Richardson, or reaching to get the QB I wanted just to say I had him  (if that was Manning or Brady I didn't know).  If I did, it may have led to the QB run NJDevs4978 was fearing.

So I went Richardson, and come to the second round with my 1st round reaches still available.  Sweet.  Picked Manning.   I knew I had round 3 off, so really didn't have my heart set on anyone there.  Come 4th I debated Decker/Welker/Nelson; and settled for a Manning connection, and I liked Decker a bit better than Welker.   I did want Giovani Bernard and almost moved up to grab him in the 4th; but decided the RB talent would still be around and lucked out grabbing Matthews.  When I got there though, I assumed Gronk would be gone.  Which made my RB3 choice hard, but I stuck with it.   And come round 5; look who was staring back at me... Gronk.  I expected him to really be gone by then, but instead Gonzo was taken.  So I got Gronk, who hopefully will be back week 3...  I'll get by with TE fill ins if that's the case.    Also, a solid potential keeper choice for next year; until he gets injured again.  

My next few selections are quite obvious now though.  So I'm easily blockable.  Ha!

Actually nobody said anything about Trent Richardson, the comment was about Daryl Richardson lol (when he got taken early in the fifth).

I don't see the fascination with Bernard personally, at least not to the extent he'd be an early fifth over other more entrenched starters.  I mean sure he could get 1200 yards if he was the every-down starter, but they still have the Lawfirm around, I don't think they'll completely ignore him.

And like dr said before, sometimes even picking RB's early doesn't neccesarily work out though I do think you've had a good draft.  Either you or Clown's probably had the best draft so far and he doesn't even have a QB yet.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Actually nobody said anything about Trent Richardson, the comment was about Daryl Richardson lol (when he got taken early in the fifth).

I don't see the fascination with Bernard personally, at least not to the extent he'd be an early fifth over other more entrenched starters.  I mean sure he could get 1200 yards if he was the every-down starter, but they still have the Lawfirm around, I don't think they'll completely ignore him.

And like dr said before, sometimes even picking RB's early doesn't neccesarily work out though I do think you've had a good draft.  Clown's probably had the best draft and he doesn't even have a QB yet.

Fine, I'm tired.  Ha!

I like Bernard's talent regardless of BJGE... plus, I value the younger RBs as they have more upward potential for the following year (re: Martin being in a split last year in preseason)

Young RB's have seemingly all been good in recent years, that much is true.  

I might try to get Bernard in my other league (a 16-team PPR keeper) where I have the third draft pick in all rounds up to round 8.  You can keep 4-6 players so the draft kind of starts in round 5 with a few picks...I only really have four definites - Peyton, Cruz, Roddy White and Ridley though he's a lot less valuable in that format.  Danario Alexander going out annoyed me, I had him penciled in as a keeper too.  All the other guys I might consider keeping haven't been drafted yet so I'm not going to bring them up here.  

The irony is RB's a lot LESS valuable there than it is here despite it being a 16-team since there's only one RB slot (and only four roster spots allowed for RB's) and one Flex, which is usually used on WR's in a PPR, but there aren't as many impact players coming out this year so I could have the #3 spot and still not get Bernard - depending on how many players the other two teams in front of me keep.  A good receiving RB would still be nice to have though.

Edited by NJDevs4978

The MantaRavens select from Houston, RB Ben Tate

rude

That's like following an ambulance, man.  :troll1: