Question About A Possible Nieder Trade

Z-Man

I would do Nieder/Stevenson for Patrick Marleau. Marleau is a great 2nd liner.

And then our defensive pairings would be:

Stevens-Rafalski

Tverdovsky-White

Albelin/Sutton-Daneyko

No thank you. That's not going to cut it in the playoffs, in my opinion. Yes, our offense would improve. But our defense would suffer, and would become more aged -- something I know plenty of people around here bitch about.

I would do that trade in a heart-beat.

I wouldn't, unless we got a solid defenseman back. Plus I don't really think that 6'2 200lbs adds that much more size to the lineup, especially since we'd be giving up someone who is 6'3" 230lbs.

Why force a stupid trade when we don't have to.  Geez, we are a bloddy top 5 team in the NHL.  

Acctutally, Devils are 9th in the league. But this season has gone off to a strange start...

Minnesota first? Pittsburg 4th? Tampa 6th?

Colorado 12? with healthy Forsberg?

It is too early in the season to put standings into arguement. Wait till Feburary

Actutally, Devils are 9th in the league. But this season has gone off to a strange start...

Actually, if take in consideration games played, points and winning Pct, we are the 4th best team in the NHL.

Marleau has been a disappointment for the Sharks because he can't finish.

I would rather have Fredrik Modin, the guy has a canon if you recall the all-star game and is a responsible defensive player.

I would do Nieder/Stevenson for Patrick Marleau. Marleau is a great 2nd liner.

And then our defensive pairings would be:

Stevens-Rafalski

Tverdovsky-White

Albelin/Sutton-Daneyko

No thank you. That's not going to cut it in the playoffs, in my opinion. Yes, our offense would improve. But our defense would suffer, and would become more aged -- something I know plenty of people around here bitch about.

I would do that trade in a heart-beat.

I wouldn't, unless we got a solid defenseman back. Plus I don't really think that 6'2 200lbs adds that much more size to the lineup, especially since we'd be giving up someone who is 6'3" 230lbs.

Well, it's either Nieder for another defensman, or Nieder for a good foward, you can't have both. Esspecially the way Nieder's trade value is right now.

Then I guess we'll just have to keep Niedermayer around, eh?

Yes it's disappointing that he's not producing more so far... but we're 9 games in. And we've yet to play any "big games" that he gets up for. He'll pick it up soon.

The fact that Niedermayer didn't become the great offensive defenseman everyone has expected him to become might be frustrating, but as long as he's still solid defensively, gets the puck the hell out of our zone when we need that done, and can chip in with goals and assists throughout the season and playoffs, why get rid of him?

KD just exhibited Triumph's Third Law of Homeric Thinking.

KD, if the Devils are to get someone from the Sharks for Niedermayer, they MUST, absolutely MUST get a defenseman back. There isn't even a question here. With the Sharks' defense of Jillson, Rathje, Ragnarsson, Marchment, Hannan, Stuart (when signed), you cannot add Niedermayer to that mix, and not bench an undeserving player. There has to be a defenseman coming back, for the Sharks' sake, as much as the Devils'.

Why was your thinking homeric? Because you didn't think of the Sharks' defensive situation after they got Niedermayer (or their forwards, for that matter.. or the Devils' forwards, or the Devils defense..maybe it wasn't homeric after all)

Patrick Plateau is a natural center, does not play big, and is Niedermayer west in terms of his always breaking out state. I will pass, thank you.

Remember, this Niedermayer deal is only precipitated by Joe Nieuwendyk's lack of a contract for next season. If Lou lets Nieuwendyk escape for nothing, the Devils would have to wait 2 years before thinking of contending for a Cup again.. if Nieuwendyk signs, I will amend my deal Niedermayer by March to deal Niedermayer/Tverdovsky by March 2004..

devspage:

You know non-Devils fans asking for these kind of trades, I can see. For us, though, like msweet, I can't fathom any of them.

I think we've had too much time on our hands between games. :lol: I agree...forget trades, forget mixing with the lines, just let's leave well enough alone and see how it goes. There's always time (especially after this good start) to make adjustments later if it becomes obvious we need to change something.

My biggest question concerning Niedermayer is whether he's doing anything to validate being given the 'A'

I'm not saying that he isn't, just that I'm curious how he's faring with that and what the team thinks of it.

Time will tell, I guess. Interestingly enough, Niedermayer has received the MOST ice time of ANY defenseman on the team so far this year and he's 2nd on the team in shots behind Tverdovsky (yes, even RAF has fewer). So, while the point totals aren't there, I doubt Burns would give him more ice time if he felt he was "garbage" like some fans here do :P .

KD, if the Devils are to get someone from the Sharks for Niedermayer, they MUST, absolutely MUST get a defenseman back.

I have to agree with Tri, although I'd much rather keep Nied than trade him anyway. If we dump him for a 'scoring forward' with virtually no replacement, our d just went down the crapper.

What's this world coming to? I agree with KD that Marleau would look fantastic in a Devils uni. :o I think his problems stem from him being only 22-23 years old (I'm guessing here). This guy can play! He just needs to put it together. I think he will.

Still, let's not trade Nieds. This team's play just goes down the crapper when he's out of the lineup.

Agghh.. MadDog, my point had nothing to do with the Devils, I was looking at it from the Sharks' standpoint.. they need to get rid of a D if they were to acquire Niedermayer.

Plateau had a good season last year, but most Sharks fans place the blame for Marleau's inability to become an elite player at Darryl Sutter's feet.. just as many placed Niedermayer's inability at Lemaire's feet.. we shall see in a few years whose fault it is.

just got back from casting my vote for Frank Lautenberg

Sutter isn't the type of coach that restricts player development, he doesn't play a regid defense first system like lemaire did when Nieds was developing. Marleau just isn't a spectacular player, he's not even as good as Friesen

McEachern can score 30 goals and can probably be picked up for very little right now. I'd take a chance on him, 25-30 goals and we won't have to even give up Nieds

I'm just exasperated. :(

Can you guys that call yourslef Devils fans stop trying to trade our greatest players?

Do you have anything more meaningful to write about other than writing a "Trade Nieds" post of the day.

The Devils defense is best in the league. We'd mees with that why?

I need a long break from this crap. :puke:

Before you attack my post, MSweet, maybe you should try and understand the point I was making.....I know it might be hard....

It was a response to all the talk from the people who want to trade Nieder. That's why I said I wouldn't be comfortable losing him, and having Albelin as the 6th d-man. No matter who we brought in at forward.