2014 Miami Dolphins thread

MadDog2020

• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Details from Suh's contract are up at Overthecap.com

It's essentially a 3 year deal with 3 option years on varying buyouts.  In 2018 the dead money would be 10 million, but the cap savings 11 milliion.  In 2019, It goes to 5 million dead/19 million savings, and the last year is fully non-guaranteed.  With a younger player, I'd say the last two years are fodder for restructure, but I wouldn't want to count on kicking any money down the line for an age 33/34 defensive tackle at his salary.  

What's most interesting to me is that the single highest cap hit is in 2016, at 28.6 million.  The cap number in 2017 goes back down to 15 million.  It makes the gymnastics for next year's free agency very difficult (assuming a straight cut of Ellerbe, without accounting for Pouncey, Clay, Miller, Matthews, or Vernon, with Tannehill taking approximately 16 million in cap room, and assuming most of our 2015 draft sticks with the team, the Dolphins will have about 11 million in cap space prior to the 2016 draft).  And all the profitable salary cap cuts available to the Dolphins in the 2016 offseason are people that we're assuming will continue to contribute to the team...primarily Wake, Grimes, Jones, and Misi, with Brandon Albert a potential June 1 casualty.

That makes the rumor of a Mike Wallace restructure a very interesting prospect.  If they kick Wallace's cap hit down the line, it could cause problems in 2016's offseason.  This team is still short at least one receiver, one guard, and one safety in 2015 at the bare minimum unless you're a particularly big believer in Dallas Thomas at guard, Rishad Matthews at WR, and Jordan Kovacs at safety.

McCain will probably (hopefully) replace Jimmy Wilson as the nickel.

There's whispers that McCain, Davis, and Taylor are going to be in a competition for the #2 cornerback.  I'm hopeful we have some other plan, but we'll see how that goes.

Edited by Hi, I'm VALUE!

Welp.  If you're going to punt on WR #2/3, you might as well have 2 pass-catching tight ends that win vs. linebacker coverage.  Hell, I hope they split Cameron out wide on some plays, with Landry in the slot and Wallace on the other side.

If Cameron stays healthy, this is a massive coup.  Ryan Tannehill is by FAR the best quarterback Cameron has played with, and Cameron may be in arguably the best offensive system he's ever been in.

I think Miami's first round pick this year looks more and more like either a receiver or a linebacker.  

Cameron is a hit away from retiring

Honestly, what player isn't?

I'm still waiting for the no-huddle wishbone offense in Phily where somehow Bradford, Murray and Ryan Matthews simeltaneously get hurt on the same bothched handoff....but I digress here :P

the 2 TE offense is very viable in today's NFL, especially with the demise of the fullback, is Miami going to bring Moreno back?

Moreno is done Crash. The RB's will be Miller, Damien Williams, and probably a draft pick.

Not very impressed by the Fins moves. Cameron is a hit away from retiring, and your offense is going to wear your defense out by the 4th Quarter.

What did you think about the Ngata move?

Moreno is done Crash. The RB's will be Miller, Damien Williams, and probably a draft pick.

I figured, but just trying to get a feel on what's left on the market after Chip Kelly did his fantasy football RB-hoarding impression :P

@AbramsonPBP: #Dolphins reportedly trading Dannell Ellerbe and a 3rd-round pick for young, promising #Saints WR Kenny Stills

This is a great move. Stills for a 3rd and we dump Ellerbe's contract. Beautiful.

Edited by MadDog2020

I jumped up mid-meeting when I got this alert.  There's little I don't like about this trade.  23 year old receivers don't come free often, especially ones with this kind of upside.  2 more years at league-minimum salary, plus a likely 3rd year option, and we junked Ellerbe's deal to gain 5 million against the cap (5.5 million if you count the 3rd round pick salary).  We essentially drafted Stills with our 3rd round pick this year, which is tremendous value.

I hope they keep Wallace, although some thing Wallace is now done in Miami.  Wallace, Stills, Cameron, Landry, and maybe Clay?  Outstanding pass-catching talent.

Well, sure as hell can't say the Jets, Bills, and Dolphins aren't trying. 

Really feels like the late 90s-early 00s right now in the NFC, like the Devils vs. the rest of their division.  You'd see the Rangers, Flyers, and Penguins (and some other teams) making all of the big moves, and the Devils losing some big names, yet often they'd be the ones having the last laugh.  We'll see if the Pats can be the Devils to their division foes.  I'm very curious what their game plan is...it still seems odd to me that one year after addressing one of their biggest weaknesses, they let the solutions go without much of a fight (though in fairness to them, more and more stories are coming out that the Revis was all about the Jets, and that BB seemed to know it and gave it a shot, but knew it was kind of pointless).

Well, sure as hell can't say the Jets, Bills, and Dolphins aren't trying. 

Really feels like the late 90s-early 00s right now in the NFC, like the Devils vs. the rest of their division.  You'd see the Rangers, Flyers, and Penguins (and some other teams) making all of the big moves, and the Devils losing some big names, yet often they'd be the ones having the last laugh.  We'll see if the Pats can be the Devils to their division foes.  I'm very curious what their game plan is...it still seems odd to me that one year after addressing one of their biggest weaknesses, they let the solutions go without much of a fight (though in fairness to them, more and more stories are coming out that the Revis was all about the Jets, and that BB seemed to know it and gave it a shot, but knew it was kind of pointless).

This division is turning into last year's AFC North.  All four teams have playoff potential if a couple breaks go their way (mostly QB play, but each non-NE team has at least one more question right now above and beyond QB play).  The Jets defense will be tough, but can their offense hold up their end of the bargain?  What about the opposite in New England (a defense that has clearly lost pieces vs. an offense that was very good and mostly held serve)?  Buffalo has the most questions at QB, and also has to worry about finding a second pass-catching target alongside Sammy Watkins (hence the chase of Clay methinks).  And Miami needs to find the balance between stopping the run and stopping the pass...in the last few years Miami has defended one well but not the other.

What did you think about the Ngata move?

He was my favorite player, so sentimentally I hated it. But the kids Ozzie drafted picked up the slack when he got suspended and it freed a ton of cap space to address other needs. Overall, it was a good move.

And Clay signs a Buffalo offer sheet.  5/$38/$20, with $24.4 million of the total value coming in the first two years.

The sheet is designed, in theory, to attack the cap space of Miami's 2016 league year.  I haven't seen the specifics, but I'm willing to bet the cap hit in 2016 is like 12 million or in that range.

It is possible to retain Clay and still have money for the pending free agencies of Vernon, Tannehill, and Pouncey IF the Dolphins want to restructure Suh's contract to convert 2016 salary to bonus, upping all of the contract's final four years' cap hits by 4.5 million per year.

Personally, I suspect Miami lets him walk.  They probably anticipated this and signed Jordan Cameron for that reason.  Also, as an FYI, this offer sheet/contract makes Clay the 4th highest paid TE in the NFL.

Edited by Hi, I'm VALUE!

And Clay signs a Buffalo offer sheet.  5/$38/$20, with $24.4 million of the total value coming in the first two years.

The sheet is designed, in theory, to attack the cap space of Miami's 2016 league year.  I haven't seen the specifics, but I'm willing to bet the cap hit in 2016 is like 12 million or in that range.

It is possible to retain Clay and still have money for the pending free agencies of Vernon, Tannehill, and Pouncey IF the Dolphins want to restructure Suh's contract to convert 2016 salary to bonus, upping all of the contract's final four years' cap hits by 4.5 million per year.

Personally, I suspect Miami lets him walk.  They probably anticipated this and signed Jordan Cameron for that reason.  Also, as an FYI, this offer sheet/contract makes Clay the 4th highest paid TE in the NFL.

Miami will be in cap hell next year even if Clay is not re-signed, so I imagine they probably let him walk. 

I like him, but he isn't that valuable. 

Miami will be in cap hell next year even if Clay is not re-signed, so I imagine they probably let him walk. 

I like him, but he isn't that valuable. 

I agree, he's more valuable to Buffalo clearly than us, though I wonder if this contract impacts their ability to give Marcell Dareus an extension.

That said, it's going to be a tough 2016 offseason, but cap hell might be avoidable.  

Assuming a $163 million dollar cap, zero carryover, and the 5th year option ($18.35 million currently) on Tannehill, Miami's 2016 cap number is around +$23 million.  

One way or another, Jordan Cameron is not playing 2016 at his 9.5 million dollar cap hit.  That contract either gets ripped up and extended at a more team-friendly 2016 number, or it gets ripped up and he's a free agent.  So at worst, that's another 7.5 million back.

If Olivier Vernon is willing to take a Junior Gallette-type extension, and Lamar Miller comes back cheap (thinking Ryan Matthews 3/$11.5 with Philly or less), retaining all of our players is not impossible.  Pouncey may be the odd-man out, although it's clear he doesn't have a replacement on the roster, so that may be more difficult than previously anticipated.  New players, however...

Miami officially refuses to match the deal, so Clay is now a Bill.  With Sims and Cameron in the fold, and someone bringing up the rear to block for things, I think we'll be OK, though I was kind of hoping that Clay or Cameron would be the second outside receiver in some of our formations, as both of them are far more talented than what's left on the wide receiver FA market. 

Case in point...Michael Crabtree is in Miami for a visit.