GDT: Lou's Little Beauties v. a Talented Team

CarpathianForest

Yes, that's supposed to be a positive, because he's given up a lot of fluke-type goals early on here.  That goal that Ward scored off Schneider's back leg, how often does that go in?  How often does Ryan Carter's short handed goal go in?  Cory's had some bad breaks, the kind of thing that isn't sustainable for a goalie.  He's still way way way way way better than Brodeur.

Carter's shorthanded goal was a comical misplay by Cory, which is also part of the equation.  Cory's puckhandling is as much a negative as Marty's is a positive at this point.  He'd seriously be better off never vacating the blue paint.

Brodeur's rolled off his couch and put up an .872 SV%. I wouldn't call that competitive.

Of course I wouldn't say Marty is playing better than Cory (Triumph's points are good) but this is just an unintelligent comment. Marty has played well in his two games so far. He was okay in his first game (didn't let in a bad goal really and had a great first period) and he was very sharp today.

This team would suck with Marty or Cory. Doesn't even matter who is in net at this point

The Devils would've given up 10 more goals if Schneider had a .901 SV% - that's 2 more losses.  Brodeur would make this into a team capable of competing for McDavid.  The idea that Schneider hasn't been good is ridiculous - he's facing more shots than a Devils goalie ever has.  The Devils have not given up this many shots/game in my time watching the team.  Even in 2005-06, when power plays were at an all time high, they were allowing slightly fewer shots.

Edited by Triumph

Of course I wouldn't say Marty is playing better than Cory (Triumph's points are good) but this is just an unintelligent comment. Marty has played well in his two games so far. He was okay in his first game (didn't let in a bad goal really and had a great first period) and he was very sharp today.

Jesus fvcking christ. So you would really call my comment unintelligent but agree that a goalie with a sub .900 SV% is competitive? Are we really defending goalies that put up .870 SV%'s now? He put up a .833 SV% in his first game which would qualify as a really bad start by Rob Vollman's metric, giving his team less than a 10% chance of winning, followed by a quality outing in relief today. Overall it hasn't been a great two games and his numbers over the last 4 years suggests he just sucks now and has for awhile. The points in my post pretty much back up triumph for fvcks sake.

I can't fvcking believe we are talking about goaltenders with this goddamn group of forwards on this team.

I don't think Brodeur has played particularly well but hey, there are gonna be people who just can't see when a guy is finished.  

I think he has been good. Especially after sitting. Not great. But you seem to have this thing where you have to trash him. I don't get why you're so angry at the guy. I like Cory, I think he is a very good goalie and he has been very good for us this year. But I also support Marty seeing as he has been an integral part of NJ for 20 years and wish him well. Yes, you're right, I don't want to trash him and call him 'finished.' And there's no reason that you should look down on anyone who feels the way I do.

By unintelligent I mean uninformed. It doesn't sound like you watched the games.

Right, so now you goalpost shift on him.  He didn't have to watch the games - he watched Brodeur play the last 4 years here.  Judging goaltending by 'watching the games' is how teams like St. Louis end up with a guy like Brodeur.

Right, so now you goalpost shift on him.  He didn't have to watch the games - he watched Brodeur play the last 4 years here.  Judging goaltending by 'watching the games' is how teams like St. Louis end up with a guy like Brodeur.

Ridiculous. After two games, there's nothing wrong with saying "Hey he has been pretty good...hasn't let in any easy ones..." If he's still at .872 10 games in, you'd have a point.

Ridiculous. After two games, there's nothing wrong with saying "Hey he has been pretty good...hasn't let in any easy ones..." If he's still at .872 10 games in, you'd have a point.

If he played like that for us no one would say he was playing well except for the usual.  I don't think he's played well.  Goaltending isn't just about not letting in the easy ones, it's about stopping some of the harder ones, too.

I hadn't seen goal #3 from Thursday and while a lesser goalie probably stops that almost never, Brodeur gives himself zero chance by reacting to that pass as though it's a shot.

Anyway, enough about Brodeur, the guy doesn't play here anymore and never will.  The Cory bashing among Devils fans does get ridiculous though.

Edited by Triumph

If he played like that for us no one would say he was playing well except for the usual.  I don't think he's played well.  Goaltending isn't just about not letting in the easy ones, it's about stopping some of the harder ones, too.

I didn't say that's what it's all about (note the ellipsis). Marty has made some big saves and Hitch has pointed them out himself. Again, Marty has been good in my opinion, but not great. I think Blues fans feel the same way from what I've seen on their boards. And obviously no one would say that if he played for us, that's silly, we've been watching him for two decades and saw him at his best.

Edited by Neb00rs

I didn't say that's what it's all about (note the ellipsis). Marty has made some big saves and Hitch has pointed them out himself. Again, Marty has been good in my opinion, but not great. I think Blues fans feel the same way from what I've seen on their boards. And obviously no one would say that if he played for us, that's silly, we've been watching him for two decades and saw him at his best.

Every goalie makes big saves.  Big saves are one of the worst ways to judge a goalie because A: again, every NHL goalie makes big saves and B:  Saves can look 'better' when they are made by someone who is out of position because it appears to take more athleticism to make a play that for a goalie with good form would be routine.  This has been true in baseball for a long time as well.

Every goalie makes big saves.  Big saves are one of the worst ways to judge a goalie because A: again, every NHL goalie makes big saves and B:  Saves can look 'better' when they are made by someone who is out of position because it appears to take more athleticism to make a play that for a goalie with good form would be routine.  This has been true in baseball for a long time as well.

Triumph, I don't know what you're arguing. So what kind of saves should Marty make before I can say "I think he has played well?" I know easy ones and hard ones are out of the question.

Edited by Neb00rs

More of them.  

Except, my point was "He has played well so far." Not he is having a good season. Given the small sample size that we have, I can either say "He has played well, mediocre, or bad." In my opinion, he has played well...so far. His first game the Blues didn't play so well and he had a bad save percentage but didn't get beat badly. His second game the Blues played a bit better and Marty had a .933.

When he starts saving more than 91% of them.

By that definition he played great today. I don't agree with that. You're giving Marty too much credit.

It's a shame Hasan even brought up Brodeur. If an intelligent poster like he could be forced to compare him to Cory, I don't even want to think how ugly it could be for the rest of the fanbase. I don't say this often, and I imagine it's just from frustration, but saying "It's bad when you're being outplayed by a 42-year old guy who couldn't even get a job the first two months (yes I went there)"....is flat out DUMB.

Enough posters have made their points about Cory vs Brodeur that I don't even need to chime in about it. Cory has been average this year. Definitely not great but far from bad. He had an excellent November after a very disappointing October. There's a lot to be really upset about this team. Taking it out on Cory is ridiculous.

Except, my point was "He has played well so far." Not he is having a good season. Given the small sample size that we have, I can either say "He has played well, mediocre, or bad." In my opinion, he has played well...so far. His first game the Blues didn't play so well and he had a bad save percentage but didn't get beat badly. His second game the Blues played a bit better and Marty had a .933.

By that definition he played great today. I don't agree with that. You're giving Marty too much credit.

Well, I meant on a regular basis. If you're playing in the NHL, you should be able to put up a .910 sv % in a game at least a few times, lol.

Goddamn. The least of the problems on this team is goaltending. Cory more often than not has been the one that has kept us in the game and given us the chances to win.

There is literally one forward on this team capable of being a first line player in this league right now. Cammalleri. That's it. Henrique and Zajac are borderline at best. Jagr's best served in a 2nd line role. Patty has become Rolston in that age has caught up to him somewhat suddenly. The rest of them are 3rd liners at best and more then a few of them aren't even cut out for 3rd line duty. Its just not a very good group up front.

The defense has been a SIEVE. Gone are the days where the Devils got by playing terrific defense and winning battles etc. Not even stalwart Andy Greene has been very good. Some guys have had moments, but there is no consistency anywhere on this team at all.

Well, I meant on a regular basis. If you're playing in the NHL, you should be able to put up a .910 sv % in a game at least a few times, lol.

Well, we don't have a regular basis to judge it on yet. I for one, was expecting Marty to get blown up his first couple games. Nor would I be surprised if he hovers around .890-.900 this season. I don't hope it, but it wouldn't surprise me. My points are not blind defense of Marty. I simply think he's played well SO FAR. And some people even have a problem with that.

It's a shame Hasan even brought up Brodeur. If an intelligent poster like he could be forced to compare him to Cory, I don't even want to think how ugly it could be for the rest of the fanbase. I don't say this often, and I imagine it's just from frustration, but saying "It's bad when you're being outplayed by a 42-year old guy who couldn't even get a job the first two months (yes I went there)"....is flat out DUMB.

Enough posters have made their points about Cory vs Brodeur that I don't even need to chime in about it. Cory has been average this year. Definitely not great but far from bad. He had an excellent November after a very disappointing October. There's a lot to be really upset about this team. Taking it out on Cory is ridiculous.

Anyone saying that Cory has been any part of the issue since he joined this team is on one. Would it be nice if he could carry this team? Yes. The fact is, he has a below .500 or at .500 record for us since being traded here and he doesn't deserve that based on how he's played in the least.

Well, we don't have a regular basis to judge it on yet. I for one, was expecting Marty to get blown up his first couple games. Nor would I be surprised if he hovers around .890-.900 this season. I don't hope it, but it wouldn't surprise me. My points are not blind defense of Marty. I simply think he's played well SO FAR. And some people even have a problem with that.

Anyone saying that Cory has been any part of the issue since he joined this team is on one. Would it be nice if he could carry this team? Yes. The fact is, he has a below .500 or at .500 record for us since being traded here and he doesn't deserve that based on how he's played in the least.

He's had one good half game and a bad one. He's been below average to mediocre so far, but hasn't looked TOO out of place yet.

The Devils would've given up 10 more goals if Schneider had a .901 SV% - that's 2 more losses. Brodeur would make this into a team capable of competing for McDavid. The idea that Schneider hasn't been good is ridiculous - he's facing more shots than a Devils goalie ever has. The Devils have not given up this many shots/game in my time watching the team. Even in 2005-06, when power plays were at an all time high, they were allowing slightly fewer shots.

Im not even comparing the two. I'm talking about the fact that I could be in net and give up 30 goals and it wouldn't matter cause we aren't gonna score more than 1 goal anyway.