Devils 2015 6th Round Pick - LW Brett Seney

thefiestygoat

19 year old, 5'9", 170 lbs. LW for Merrimack (NCAA), Elite Prospects page. Passed over last year but did well as a freshman to carry Merrimack. Here's the ILWT post on him.

I like that 20 of his 26 points came at even strength and that he led the team in goals, assists, and points. Only averaged 1.65 SH/GP and had a 19.64 SH% which is a bit worrisome. Still, it's 6th round pick so you can't expect much.

Here's what the Hockey Prospect Black Book had to say:

He excelled during the first half of the NCAA season before hitting a little bit of a freshman wall during the
second half. A lower body injury helped pronate his struggles down the stretch. On more than one occasion he picked up the puck in the neutral zone and blew by a few defenders with a burst of speed to pop the puck in or dish it off to a line mate. He has good creativity and vision to go with soft hands. He has a nice touch on passes, but would benefit from being more assertive.

SBN College Hockey profiled him here:

Seney is undersized, but there were very few players with better speed in Hockey East this past season. There were a couple goals he scored during the first half where he picked off an errant pass in the neutral zone, circled back into the zone and just completely blew past the defense en route to an easy goal.

His quickness and ability to make plays with the puck really showed in transition as a majority of his goals and assists came on the rush. He also made several highlight reel assists by waiting to draw the defense and goaltender to him before slipping a pass to a linemate hitting the backdoor.

One weakness to his game was his defensive zone coverage, but that is somewhat expected as a younger freshman in Hockey East, coming out of the OJHL -- a junior league often known for its offense. Seney was -9 in his last 11 games. He was +12 in his first 23 games.

I'll have to go see him play when I'm in New England at some point during their season. I saw Merrimack a few years ago in the Hockey East tournament at the Garden against UNH. I'll be interested in what his sophomore year will look like in that conference.

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gf-MydqiMVI

holy sh!t this kid has some speed. I watched a shift by shift of his game and his highlights. Could very well turn into a Darren Helm or better.

True.  In the clips showcasing his speed, it still looks a little clunky and just needs refined to be smoother, at least the first two highlights.  Very impressive video.    

Holy crap he's fast. I usually try not to put much stock into prospects' highlight videos. It's usually a lot of fancy stuff you can pull off in college hockey but not the NHL, but damn... speed is speed. And speed is king, especially in today's NHL. I like this pick a lot, especially in a 6th round. 

It would be great if he could turn into our Carl Hagelin type player; not the most skilled but his speed sets a tone and gets the opposition out of wack, scrambling to cover him; opens pockets of space up for the better players to capitalize on. 

We haven't had anyone who could rush the puck in effectively since Kovalchuk, and even in his last year here, no one on our team could even keep up with him for it to be effective.

Edited by DJ Eco

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gf-MydqiMVI

holy sh!t this kid has some speed. I watched a shift by shift of his game and his highlights. Could very well turn into a Darren Helm or better.

he's skating faster just going to the bench after his goals than most of our players from last year skating with the puck lol

• 5 weeks later...

Nah man, the rest of those pics show hes a shrimp still or skipped leg day

Judging how fast he already skates with those twigs. We may have a sleeper moving forward here. Compare the pictures from last summer to now, this kid exploded. 

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac