2015 Miami Dolphins thread

MadDog2020

If there is some kind of silver lining is that the post-Philbin/Coyle pass rush, even without Wake, has been outstanding, and should be in place for at least next year. 

I would expect a decent draft pick, somewhere in the top 12.  So perhaps we end up with a stud linebacker of the Kuechly mold.  And maybe even Dion Jordan manages to chip in next year. 

I imagine that Lamar Miller won't be back, which isn't the end of the world as Ajayi has shown a lot.  But for jeebus's sake, get Devante Parker in the game.  At the very least we need to know if he's any good. 

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dion Jordan is outie.  He's not coming back.  They'd cut him next year and NEVER look back methinks.  

The good news is that despite the touchdown, Cameron's been a disaster this year for the purpose he was brought in for (pass-catching) so he's likely to earn a much smaller deal than the current 9.5 million he's slated for, and cutting him will save us enough money on the cap by himself to draft a rookie class.  I'd love to see Sims/Stonenbruner get shots at the full-time gigs, Miami has more pressing needs elsewhere.

The biggest problem next year is that Vernon is a free agent, and people will pay him some big money.  I guess in theory you could cut Wake (8.5 million saved) and give Vernon that salary slot, maybe pushing some of Vernon's cap hit down the road.  But now you're talking about status-quo, and Miami desperately needs a second corner that's better than replacement value, some linebacking (Paysinger and Sheppard are Free Agents), and a useful swing tackle not named Jason Fox (who ideally could swap in at guard as well).

If replacement players can be found for the potential cuts, the Miami cap situation isn't as dire as I thought it was initially.  Fox, Cameron, and Jordan cuts alone give about 10 million in cap relief in 2016.  18 million is freed if you cut Wake, but I'm not sure that's going to be done unless Vernon comes in at decent money and Shelby is willing to come back on a slight raise.

You would think with all their receiver injuries and the QB issues they would give Lamar Miller more of a chance to make plays but they always seem to look for reasons not to use him.  Do they think he's too fragile to handle more than 15 touches a game?

Edited by NJDevs4978

Yikes...it's one thing to get beat.  That happens.  But the Dolphins really seem to have mailed it in...zero fight today.  Feel for MD2020 and others. 

Yeah, if there was any hope of a season coming together, it's gone now.  4-7/0-5 in the division isn't going to get it done.  

The problem is, what young players do the fins have to try out for the last 5 games?   Matt Moore is strictly a backup, so there's no sense in messing with the QB position.  I get that you want to see what Ajaya has, and I expect him to mix in carries more often now that the season's a wrap and Miller's an impending free agent.  Also, Parker will get more time at the expense of Jennings if he hasn't already.  But this team is not built with a ton of young players that we need to "see what we have" in them.  

It's also clear that Cameron isn't part of the team's plans - he should be phased out in favor of Dion Sims and Jake Stonenbruner...one of the few "see what we have" positions that are available.

The offseason will be tricky this year.  Limited cap resources.  The draft is super-huge this year.  CB, FS, and OL on the offseason list, with a rookie QB project and backup RB second on the list.

Bill Lazor fired.  I can remember when he got standing ovations at the bar when we beat the Patriots in the first game last year.  The mob is fickle.

The mob is fickle? Your organization is fickle. Linehan, Mularkey, Henning, Daboll, Sherman, Lazor, and now.. Taylor. 7 OC's over the last 10 years.

I say this as someone who cares about the Jets\Dolphins rivalry.. pull the plug after this season. Start completely over, and yes.. that includes Tannehill. I still like the kid alot.. but until that franchise can stabilize.. he's doing himself no good remaining in Miami.

The mob is fickle? Your organization is fickle. Linehan, Mularkey, Henning, Daboll, Sherman, Lazor, and now.. Taylor. 7 OC's over the last 10 years.

I say this as someone who cares about the Jets\Dolphins rivalry.. pull the plug after this season. Start completely over, and yes.. that includes Tannehill. I still like the kid alot.. but until that franchise can stabilize.. he's doing himself no good remaining in Miami.

Most Dolphins fans I know were calling for Lazor to be fired a few weeks ago.  FWIW, I wasn't one of them.

EDIT:  And so far as getting rid of Tannehill, if there's some team that's willing to give you a nice return in a trade (a la Cutler to the Bears), I'd be all for it.  Otherwise, it doesn't appear as if there's an obvious franchise QB that will be available in the draft, and whoever else is available in free agency or via a trade doesn't appear to be appreciably better. 

So the most the Dolphins can probably do is draft a QB in the second round or later, and see if he eventually becomes a bona fide NFL starter.  In the meantime, there's always the outside chance that Tannehill will improve significantly whether it's by virtue of him getting better mentally the team around him being better or a combination of the two. 

Edited by Daniel

Yeah, Tannehill is locked onto the roster through the 2016 league year, and the places that would take him in a heartbeat (ex: Cleveland, Philly) are just as big a sh!tshow right now.

Additionally, I wouldn't trade him for what he's worth (probably a mid-round pick with a late-round chaser), but would ask for high value in return, as well I should - I'm setting the franchise back at least one year if I trade Tannehill, as there's no QB on the roster that can challenge him.  In short, trade will never happen.

If I were in charge of Miami's football operations, I'd light the phone lines looking to trade Jennings or Cameron for draft picks.  Hell, if Coples proves useful, I'd trade him too, but considering he was just cut I'm not holding my breath.

Follow-up to the point I made above:

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article47105755.html

Where does this all lead?

It leads to the top. It leads to ownership. It leads to personnel. It leads to a coaching staff that clearly is weeks from being replaced en masse because their audition to win full-time work has failed.

This team is in trouble top to bottom, folks, and I’m not meaning just because it is winless in five games against division opponents. This team is in trouble because no one has solutions for what ails the entire organization.

No one is raising a hand and proclaiming, “I know how to fix this.”

Indeed, Tannehill might as well have spoken for everyone when he made it clear he’s shocked the situation is as bad as it is.

“It’s mind-blowing, it’s frustrating, it’s disappointing,” he said. “It’s tough to find enough words to describe it. I think it’s hard. It’s hard to see and take a realistic look of where we’re at and see why we’re here. It’s hard.

“But it’s on us. We got ourselves in this position, and we can only look at ourselves.”

Yikes...it's one thing to get beat. That happens. But the Dolphins really seem to have mailed it in...zero fight today. Feel for MD2020 and others.

Its just a disgusting mess... The head coach and both coordinators sacked in-season. When was the last fvcking time you ever see that happen?! Only the Dolphins. This nightmare of a season just can't end soon enough... [emoji26] Edited by MadDog2020

I say this as someone who cares about the JetsDolphins rivalry.. pull the plug after this season. Start completely over, and yes.. that includes Tannehill. I still like the kid alot.. but until that franchise can stabilize.. he's doing himself no good remaining in Miami.

I agree 110% Beez... I believed in Tannehill, but he's being ruined, and I'm starting to think he isn't really that good to begin with. Now, we all know he isn't actually going anywhere right now. Come hell or high water, he'll likely be the QB in 2016. But I want a QB drafted this year. Someone to push Tannehill, and eventually take his job, or, in the event Tannehill somehow turns it around with a new coach in a new offense, someone who has trade value, or affords us to still trade Tannehill- basically what the Chargers did by drafting Rivers when they still had Brees. But EVERYONE- INCLUDING TANNENBAUM- has to go. EVERYONE. No half measures. Of course the person who REALLY needs to go is the one who, sadly, isn't going anywhere, and that's Stephen Ross. This is HIS circus. He is the Ringmaster. It's on him to finally do what needs to be done, but he's too fvcking football-stupid to KNOW what needs to be done. The whole situation is just disgusting and incredibly frustrating, and unfortunately, I don't own this fvcking team, or every last person in that fvcking building would be out the door come January 3. [emoji35][emoji35][emoji35][emoji35][emoji35] Edited by MadDog2020

Its just a disgusting mess... The head coach and both coordinators sacked in-season. When was the last fvcking time you ever see that happen?! Only the Dolphins. This nightmare of a season just can't end soon enough... [emoji26]

It's amazing how quickly it's come apart when you think about where the Dolphins were after Week 1 in 2014...huge opening win (and an impressive one) over the Pats in Week 1, a 37-0 stomping of the Chargers in Week 9 that gave them a 5-3 record...they've gone 7-12 since, and like you said, just complete chaos all around.  The Wilpons have shown that occasionally even awful owners can be overcome, but it ain't easy.   

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

But I want a QB drafted this year. Someone to push Tannehill, and eventually take his job, or, in the event Tannehill somehow turns it around with a new coach in a new offense, someone who has trade value, or affords us to still trade Tannehill- basically what the Chargers did by drafting Rivers when they still had Brees. But EVERYONE- INCLUDING TANNENBAUM- has to go. EVERYONE. No half measures. 

So much this.

Christian Hackenberg and Jacoby Brissett are two of the guys who I'd be looking at if I were in charge of drafting.  Hackenberg has some bad numbers, but some of that has to do with a bad system fit and a bad team.  Brissett has played well against tough competition (against Clemson he was 24-of-41 for 254 yards with three touchdowns and against Florida State he was 32-of-48 for 359 yards with three touchdowns).  Both should be around for the high second round unless one of them has a massive pro day/combine.

And yes, clean slate all the way around.  EDIT: Though I will add that if someone is brought in for defense, they better be running the 4-3 - Miami barely has enough linebackers for that, let alone putting in a 4th linebacker.  Also, Miami's locked-in defensive star is a 4-3 DT, so there's that...

Edited by Hi, I'm VALUE!

This team has completely drained all the passion I had for this organization. I woke up last Sunday and didn't even want to attend the game. I have never had this feeling before. E haven't been very good for a while but it was still fun at times. I'm still a fan and that'll never change , but I've completely stopped giving a sh/t about this organization.

Shannon Sharpe teed off on Tannehill on the Sirius/XM NFL Morning show this week....the last quote was pretty funny, first he went on about how many coaches was this guy gonna get fired? and then he went on about "just because you're paying him like a franchise player don't make him one" .....the last quote which was priceless was "I can go sleep in the garage every night....that don't make me a BMW!"

the Suh signing already has disaster written all over it though.....

the Suh signing already has disaster written all over it though.....

This I disagree with.

Suh has been an elite top-5 defender on the interior line per PFF.  After a bad opening 4 games, he's been a beast in many facets of the game, and there's not much more that you can ask of him defensively.

If they don't touch his contract, he's basically got 2 more guaranteed years on the deal that he needs to produce like this - after that, Miami can move on with minimal cap implications.  

This team has completely drained all the passion I had for this organization. I woke up last Sunday and didn't even want to attend the game. I have never had this feeling before. E haven't been very good for a while but it was still fun at times. I'm still a fan and that'll never change , but I've completely stopped giving a sh/t about this organization.

I basically feel the same way.  I've gone to the Jets/Dolphins game the past three years and had a great time, but it really never entered my head to go this year. 

Maybe the best thing that can happen is for the team to not go on any kind of run at the end of the year, but perhaps certain players that are here for the long term (Tannehill, Suh, Parker, Landry, Ajayi) to play really well so that there's some confidence going into next year and that we land a good head coach in the offseason.   

Edited by Daniel

• 2 weeks later...

Let's put that game aside for a moment and address the other piece of Dolphin news that happened yesterday - The Dolphins claimed Demonte Moore from the Giants.

If I had any faith in this organization to rehab headcases, I'd say this was a good flier on the Dolphins part.  He was a decent pass-rusher for the G-Men.

That being said, I think this bodes poorly for Cameron Wake's roster status in 2016.  The Dolphins would save a lot of money by cutting him loose.

32 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Only two more weeks of this garbage before we can start over with new garbage that won't win us anything...

How much of a house-cleaning do you think is coming?