New York Mets 2016 Season Thread

Colorado Rockies 1976

At least I won't have to see Doofus and Loser strike out 3+ times each tonight. 

But yeah, Eric Campbell definitely isn't filling anyone up with the warm and fuzzies. 

Hell of a time to make his debut too...this series definitely isn't do-or-die, but it's important nonetheless.

Hell of a start by Syndergaard tonight. 

And happy to see Granderson get on base four times.  Mets desperately need him to get on a hot streak. 

Hopefully this win washes the sh!tty taste of the Rockies series out of their mouths...though that day off couldn't have hurt yesterday. 

5 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Hell of a start by Syndergaard tonight. 

And happy to see Granderson get on base four times.  Mets desperately need him to get on a hot streak. 

Hopefully this win washes the sh!tty taste of the Rockies series out of their mouths...though that day off couldn't have hurt yesterday

In that vein it was borderline criminal for MLB to have the Mets play 11 games in 11 days on the West Coast without a day off before the trip either.

With Wrights back flaring up again, I have to wonder if perhaps it is time to call up Herrera and move Neil Walker to third?

Walker and Cabrera have done a nice job in the field at SS and 2b but if Wright cannot play for an extended period of time...it would really hurt us if Campbell got a lot of AB's as a result. And Herrera has maxed out in Vegas. Nothing more for him to do down there. His bat is superior to Reynolds(who imho just projects to being a journeyman bench guy). Not sure what the prognosis is on Wilmer long term but he wasn't exactly tearing the cover off the ball either

8 hours ago, '7' said:

With Wrights back flaring up again, I have to wonder if perhaps it is time to call up Herrera and move Neil Walker to third?

Walker and Cabrera have done a nice job in the field at SS and 2b but if Wright cannot play for an extended period of time...it would really hurt us if Campbell got a lot of AB's as a result. And Herrera has maxed out in Vegas. Nothing more for him to do down there. His bat is superior to Reynolds(who imho just projects to being a journeyman bench guy). Not sure what the prognosis is on Wilmer long term but he wasn't exactly tearing the cover off the ball either

Even when Wright's "healthy", he's still very iffy, both in the field and at the plate.  I think more and more pitchers are going to challenge him as they see him racking up the Ks, which means that the walk-driven OB% (.373 and dropping) - his best asset through 30 GP - won't stay where it is.  Once he's not hitting AND not hitting for power AND not getting on base AND remains a liability at 3rd, how long can the Mets continue to put him out there? 

Walker has only 15 GP at third for his major-league career, and none since 2010...I'm all for upgrading at third, but it's probably going to take a trade to do it, and I don't see Sandy exploring that option anytime soon.  I'm guessing it will be more Wright first (provided he's healthy enough, and for the obviou$ rea$on), with Flores getting some ABs once he's off the DL.  If Wright and Flores aren't getting it done, then I think Sandy has to explore bringing a decent hitter in soon...and the only two positions that are going to make any sense are at first and third.  The outfield is entrenched...Granderson will get a lot of ABs (understandably) to show that he can repeat 2015, (especially at his money), and Cespedes and Conforto are no-brainers.  Cabrera and Walker are doing enough offensively and defensively that they'll stick.  Plaw is hitting .286 over his last 10 GP with four 2B and 1 HR and 5 RBI and has been better defensively than TDA...this sample is probably enough to ensure that he's going to get a nice long look up here, as I'm sure the Mets would love to have another young, inexpensive, "from within" option that won't cost them any assets. 

So basically, it's first and/or third, or fortifying the bench.  It will probably be the bench first, if anything.  Sandy's had some sh!tty luck with some of his "bargain" signings for sure...Chris Young, then John Mayberry, now De Aza...and what's scary is De Aza was going to be splitting time with Lagares in CF.  That was Plan A. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Gabriel Ynoa wins his 5th straight start.  Now 5-0 through 8 starts, with a most-unPCL-like 2.09 ERA.  .244 BABIP and 81.9% strand rate.  4.21 FIP.  Mediocre 25 K-to-16 BB ratio.  Only 4.35 K/per 9 IP.  He's almost like the 2015-16 Devils...every number points to him not keeping this up, but so far he's been able to do it longer than expected.  But just like those Devils, eventually things evened out. 

If he is still doing this by mid-season, his trade value might not be any higher than it will be right then...of course, it's not like I'm the only one who can look beyond traditional numbers and see how much truth there is behind them (and as we've seen with the K-to-BB ratio, not all of the traditional numbers are good either).  Probably a lot of GMs and scouts who aren't fooled by Ynoa's "Wow, he's 5-0 with a 2.09 ERA in the PCL!" start to his season. 

---------------------------------------------

Good job by Matt Bowman to stick though the 1/4-point of the season with the Cards...only one really bad outing for him so far, against Pittsburgh (0 IP, 3 H, 4 ER, 1 BB, 1 HR).  Most of his other appearances have been pretty good.  Will be interesting to see what happens if/when Jordan Walden (the reliever whose injury gave Bowman his chance) returns.  Still has a shot of being returned to the Mets. 

More importantly for trade value purposes, Ynoa's stuff also isn't very good. Maybe he's moved for middle relief help, but that's about all I can see him bringing back at this point.

Kudos to Bowman so far. He's only thrown 15 low leverage innings, but hey, that's not his fault -- the peripherals have been good. Maybe there's enough there for a middle innings reliever.

29 minutes ago, nmigliore said:

More importantly for trade value purposes, Ynoa's stuff also isn't very good. Maybe he's moved for middle relief help, but that's about all I can see him bringing back at this point.

Kudos to Bowman so far. He's only thrown 15 low leverage innings, but hey, that's not his fault -- the peripherals have been good. Maybe there's enough there for a middle innings reliever.

Ynoa would probably have to be packaged with others, and yeah, Ynoa + some other young-but-nothing-special minor-leaguer might get you a decent reliever on an expiring contract, who doesn't figure into his current team's plans (or is signed for another year or two on a pricier contract).  I don't kid myself about Ynoa's value ever being anything truly significant...it's more a case of a "looks good at quick glance" PCL half-season might raise his trade value to its highest point...which still won't probably be much. 

As we well know, not every reliever is awesome...some are up-and-down but manage to stick in the game for 5 years or so.  I could see Bowman being that kind of a player, if everything works out.  But probably better to see if he can get through one major-league season first.

13 minutes ago, '7' said:

Ugh Wright. Major league 3b has to at least smother that ball. Not hard hit and not a bad bounce either. Now 1st and 3rd. Colon  needs to get out of this with 1.

Something's gotta give.  As the season continues, he's going to hurt the team more and more.  Maddening.  Just wish there were interesting options from within. 

Such a weird game for Colon...and thanks NY Post for feeling like Colon's personal life needed to be broadcast under the guise of "news".  Because I'm sure all of your employees are all perfect little angels who have nothing at all to hide.  fvck you.

I'm watching this with the sound off in a pub...but where the hell did they show the tag at 2nd? Was it conclusive anywhere? Looked pretty solidly safe to me. Nothing overwhelming to overturn.

Idiot Terry. Colon at over 100 pitches. 2nd and 3rd with Rendon...who had a hit off Colon...at the plate and Robles ready at the pen. You go to the pen there. Terry has absolutely no feel as to when pitchers should be pulled. The tank was emptied on the Zimmerman K...put amateur pressed his luck, got burned, and may have cost us the game.

42 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Something's gotta give.  As the season continues, he's going to hurt the team more and more.  Maddening.  Just wish there were interesting options from within. 

At this point...I dont see how he doesnt retire after 2016. He's trying, but the body cannot do what the mind is telling it do do. No range, weak arm, K's, can't get around on hittable fastballs.

It's almost over for good for DW. Unless perhaps surgery and a year off can help. 

Edited by '7'

12 minutes ago, '7' said:

I'm watching this with the sound off in a pub...but where the hell did they show the tag at 2nd? Was it conclusive anywhere? Looked pretty solidly safe to me. Nothing overwhelming to overturn.

Idiot Terry. Colon at over 100 pitches. 2nd and 3rd with Rendon...who had a hit off Colon...at the plate and Robles ready at the pen. You go to the pen there. Terry has absolutely no feel as to when pitchers should be pulled. The tank was emptied on the Zimmerman K...put amateur pressed his luck, got burned, and may have cost us the game.

Terry will never be good at handling the staff.  Just not a strength of his at all.  Still amazing that he's still the manager...especially since the GM's not exactly a big fan.