NJDevs '16-17 Fantasy Hockey

NJDevs4978

My team will be either fantastic or sh!t.

I'm on record now saying I was going to draft Hank over Logan Couture...  but that's not the worst thing.   So I'm relying on bounce backs from Bob or MAF (who wasn't horrible; so I guess rough patches for Murray?)

I have two former top fantasy darlings in Stamkos and Giroux.   They are both still plenty young enough that I am enthusiastic about grabbing them.
I kept the Sedins together...  maybe they can do something special one more season.

I'm relying on a lot of young guys this year too (Reinhardt, Aho, Tkachuk, Vesey, Shea Theodore) ...   a noticeable shift in my drafting strategy  (where I usually draft mid thirties players for stable value).  We'll see how that goes.

Plus; a homer but promising pick- Taylor Hall.

I think I did better than I thought on further review, didn't do a whole lot of cramming for this considering I was on vacation from Wednesday-Saturday - it might come down to exactly what it came down to last year, goaltending consistency and whether my plus/minus sinks me or not.  It can't possibly be AS bad as it was last year...I hope :P

18 minutes ago, DevilMinder said:

I felt like you had to go young after a certain point, the remaining stable players didnt have enough ceiling.

Generally that's my thinking too - and other than Staal (who I figured I'd take a shot on a bounceback, and if that failed I can always replace a center) I didn't really select a lot of older players late, although I was kind of wondering if you guys would forget about the keepers going into effect starting with the 6th round turn but nope since Mathews and a couple other high-end kids went off the board then.  Aside from wondering where Mathews would go I pretty much ignored looking for keepers since barring a catastrophe I'd expect at least ROR and Klingberg to be among my protected three for the next few years.  Jake Allen's another story but he 'could' be in that boat if he steps up this year too.

I do think the younger/role players probably got overdrafted for the most part and it kind of threw off the middle part of the draft for me, as did picking a second goalie much earlier than I figured.  Plus I got ninjaed or semi-ninjaed, with Josi, Stone and Plekanec in the middle rounds too.  I don't know what the hell I was thinking picking Hartnell in the 9th when I wound up with Foligno ten rounds later.  Figured I'd better load up at LW late since a lot of those guys are older/injury-prone.

Edited by NJDevs4978

5 minutes ago, aylbert said:

Also late to point out.   This is the 16/17 season.   Not 15/16 as the title states 

Oops :P

Late but not too late for this season.  Unfortunately last year was also known as '14-15, I neglected to change it then and why I only moved it up one this year :lol:

Edited by NJDevs4978

Crazy draft, and I know our draft is always different then the nor, but I did ALOT of mock drafts... the only picks that I had focused on that I got were Benn , Pacioretty & Kane.  Nothing else came out the same, in the football draft I got over 50% of the guys I focused on, so there was a lot of making picks on the fly for me...

2 goalies in the 1st 6 rounds never crossed my mind, but I was shocked to get Price in the 2nd, & when Murray came around in the 6th I had to do some future planning...

On 10/11/2016 at 3:39 PM, Devilsfan118 said:

I'm surprised you took Kane over Ovi - I feel like he's the clear #1 or #2 (behind Benn) in a hits league.

Kane's overall point production was so much higher last year and offense affects a bunch of categories. Plus these days Ovi's a one trick pony with low assist totals. I had Kane, Benn, Crosby and Ovi in the top four and if the draft was one day before or after Crosby's concussion scare I'd have taken him. But can't really complain about getting Pavs back, especially with his ancillary production.

1 hour ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Kane's overall point production was so much higher last year and offense affects a bunch of categories. Plus these days Ovi's a one trick pony with low assist totals. I had Kane, Benn, Crosby and Ovi in the top four and if the draft was one day before or after Crosby's concussion scare I'd have taken him. But can't really complain about getting Pavs back, especially with his ancillary production.

I had a 12-team roto draft, cash league the next day...  drafting in the ten spot; I drafted Pavelski in the ten spot and grabbed Crosby at 14.

31 minutes ago, aylbert said:

I had a 12-team roto draft, cash league the next day...  drafting in the ten spot; I drafted Pavelski in the ten spot and grabbed Crosby at 14.

I get Pavelski that low in a standard league (no FW, hits) but people were really THAT spooked on Crosby?

On 10/10/2016 at 9:55 PM, DevilMinder said:

I felt like you had to go young after a certain point, the remaining stable players didnt have enough ceiling.

I think everyone didn't want to burn a first round pick on a question mark.... I mean I passed too; but couldn't pass twice.    It's just a cheap $20 pro league.... but still.

On 10/11/2016 at 3:39 PM, Devilsfan118 said:

I'm surprised you took Kane over Ovi - I feel like he's the clear #1 or #2 (behind Benn) in a hits league.

I think Kane will definitely put up more points, but I accounted for the lost hits by picking some other players that hit a lot.

This game is frustrating. This season everything was suppose to be better. 2 days days in and I am already trailing by a mile. I guess I can only go uphill from here. Mrazek will hopefully realize at some point that the season has already started.

9 hours ago, eaglejelly said:

This game is frustrating. This season everything was suppose to be better. 2 days days in and I am already trailing by a mile. I guess I can only go uphill from here. Mrazek will hopefully realize at some point that the season has already started.

Well having Crosby play a game for you would help.  You are gonna have to pick and choose between Dubnyk and Mrazek wisely though.  I hate the 1A-1B situations in fantasy whether it's goalies or quarterbacks.  

btw you can trade draft picks in-season now...but you have to trade an equal number of draft picks per team.  And though it shows 21st-23rd round picks as options that's where the keepers'll go.  Try not to forget and cause me a preseason headache next year changing the rounds cause I don't think I can change it in-season this year.

Edited by NJDevs4978