Wood suspended two games

John Wensink

36 minutes ago, Crisis said:

Kind of funny that the head of DoPS has a hand in a business called Violent Gentlemen

I didn't know that either.  Are you kidding?  Wasn't that Shanahan, and is it still him?

EDIT: Actually, I know it's not Shanahan anymore because he's like President of hockey Ops in Toronto or something.  Wonder who it is now. 

Edited by NJDfan1711

11 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Yeah, I realized that after I posted, but isn't he like Director or VP of something, and Lou is the GM?  Or is Lou Asst. GM?

6 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Lou is asst GM I believe or like some level of GM consultant.  

Lou is the GM, Shanny is the "president and alternate governor"

18 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Agree with the 5 minute major. Agree with the suspension only in the current pussified version of hockey. 

Are you out of your mind? Wood took like fifty strides and jumped into a guy whose numbers were showing the whole time. I wouldn't have complained if he got 5 games

56 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I agree with the first part, but I'm alright with a suspension for anyone that leaves their feet on a hit. It's bad practice to allow players to think they can get away with it because sometimes the other player doesn't get hurt.

I never understood why the other player returning to a game or not has any factor in a suspension anyway. It implies that the hit was less illegal because the opposing player did not get hurt or was tough enough to return to the game. If something is suspendable, it should be suspendable whether the other player toughs it out or not. If the other player's injury status mattered, we still shouldn't have seen Marchand play a game since Mojo went out.

If Mojo got hurt on a hockey play or even a just a bad hit it wouldn't be so bad. Brad Marchand INTENTIONALLY tried to hurt him and did. His hockey career probably isn't over, thank goodness, but no one knows if this will have a lasting affect on or off the ice for the rest of his career/life all on an INTENTIONAL attempt to injure. 5 games was not enough. Players that try to hurt other players like Marchand and Matt Cooke should be removed by the league for safety reasons. Marchand obviously doesn't care about the suspensions and hasn't learned a damn thing. He's going to have to end someones career like Cooke did to get the league to do anything about him. I don't think things should be allowed to get to that level before some action is taken. I don't care how good he is.

Injury matters to me because, unlike the on-ice call, you have the benefit of hindsight. I don’t think people should get suspended for violations that are already covered by the rules in terms of on ice penalties AND there is no intent AND there is no injury. I don’t think the game needs to be policed that thoroughly. If you think it should, maybe all hitting should be taken out of the game. Which it almost has been. 

Not to say if a guy keeps hitting guys from behind into the boards something shouldn’t be done. It goes to intent. Nobody believes Hall deliberately drove that guy into the wall from behind, for example. Maybe a fine for the first 2 offenses and by the third strike, you know the guy is just an a-hole. 

But that’s just me. 

18 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Injury matters to me because, unlike the on-ice call, you have the benefit of hindsight. I don’t think people should get suspended for violations that are already covered by the rules in terms of on ice penalties AND there is no intent AND there is no injury. I don’t think the game needs to be policed that thoroughly. If you think it should, maybe all hitting should be taken out of the game. Which it almost has been. 

Not to say if a guy keeps hitting guys from behind into the boards something shouldn’t be done. It goes to intent. Nobody believes Hall deliberately drove that guy into the wall from behind, for example. Maybe a fine for the first 2 offenses and by the third strike, you know the guy is just an a-hole. 

But that’s just me. 

I see where you're coming from, but leaving your feet isn't covered by a specific in game penalty. It's supposed to be suspensable 100% of the time simply because it's that dangerous. There are terms of engagement, an accepted right and wrong way to engage in contact, in every contact sport. Those baseline accepted rules exist for a reason. Sometimes accidents happen due to the speed of the game, like Halls case, but I don't think there are many scenarios worth the DOPS looking at where a player has a legitimate excuse for finishing a check while leaving his feet. If the intent isn't there on a simple accident you have a case for the DOPS not wasting their time even looking at it because there is no behavior to correct. You can land a huge check the right way where 99% of the time and you won't end a person's career in the process. In these cases, intent and injury should not be factored in. If it's a violation, it's a violation. 

All hitting should not be removed and I don't like the shift towards a less physical game and these tightened rules meant to aid skilled players(BS slashing calls). This doesn't mean players shouldn't be held accountable if they violate the terms of engagement.  Dangerous practice is dangerous practice, and while a huge guy like Getzlaf might get back up a player like Nico Hischier might not. I would rather see the offending player correct the dangerous behavior before they hurt someone.

To partially continue on the Marchand rant... If the DOPS even did a halfway decent job, Marchand wouldn't still be intentionally elbowing people in the head. How absolutely fvcked would this team be if that was Hall and not MoJo? And Marchand is still playing! It's unbelievable. They never get it right, which is why some players don't correct their behavior. There's no incentive. On the other hand, Wood probably got the message on leaving his feet. 

Anyway, I hope you understand where I'm coming from.