New York Mets 2018 season thread

NJDevs4978

4 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

I do find it amusing the Mets have basically done something similar to what NFL teams do with their head coach when they switch to polar opposite personalities, when they fire a hard-ass they get a players' coach and vice-versa.  In the Mets' case they went from King Passive to Rotisserie Man at GM.  It could actually work if Brodie basically has free reign with the budget but he can't trade his way into a bigger budget.

If the Mets actually gave BVW the leeway to spend on either Harper or Machado, they'd get my attention...I get that those contracts are dangerous and scary (even for relatively young guys like Harper or Machado), but either one only costs you a sh!tload of money...no players.  And the issue right now is that the Mets don't have anywhere near enough of a player surplus to be able to fix some holes without creating others. 

As for Sandy, I'll always have theories about him, which I've already discussed a bunch of times.  I would've liked to have seen what a truly motivated and engaged Sandy might have done (though I don't ever think he was terribly creative).  I forget which offseason it was exactly, but when the Wilpons told him that they didn't have much to spend (I have a funny feeling they probably had told Sandy otherwise earlier), he pretty much checked out and decided he wasn't killing himself for the Mets anymore...I think he actually had (for him) a pretty aggressive plan that he flat-out had to scrap due to lack of financial support from ownership...from that point on, he was a disgruntled employee (and not one that I think really wanted the job much in the first place).  And of course, he had his health issues...that can lead one to prioritize things quite differently in a hurry. 

And BTW it's becoming more and more obvious why BVW got the job...Jeffy is also at the winter meetings and apparently attached to BVW at the hip.  Yep...now he gets to meddle and play Baseball Man to his heart's content. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Then you call their bluff and walk away...unless you're getting more than Realmuto back.  BVW already got beat on his first deal...can't let it happen again, for the sake of making a move.  Syndergaard to the Yankees with not enough coming back really kills whatever credibility BVW thinks he has. 

25 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Then you call their bluff and walk away...unless you're getting more than Realmuto back.  BVW already got beat on his first deal...can't let it happen again, for the sake of making a move.  Syndergaard to the Yankees with not enough coming back really kills whatever credibility BVW thinks he has. 

Would you be upset if the Mets ended up with Realmuto and Clint Frazier?  I figure Andujar is who Miami wants.

Fwiw, I really like Frazier. Insane bat speed.  

14 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Would you be upset if the Mets ended up with Realmuto and Clint Frazier?  I figure Andujar is who Miami wants.

Fwiw, I really like Frazier. Insane bat speed.  

Would like to get another prospect in the deal.  Not like Frazier's shredded the minors (or the majors, though it's obviously early in his career).  Also strikes out a ton. 

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Would like to get another prospect in the deal.  Not like Frazier's shredded the minors (or the majors, though it's obviously early in his career).  Also strikes out a ton. 

He shredded AAA last year, albeit in only 48 games.  Gotta make sure he’s fully recovered from the concussions though.

I know it's obvious that not all players are held to the same standards, but man does it sound dumb and clueless coming from Mickey Callaway...man it seems like this guy wants to be everyone's pal just a little too much:

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/25513726/new-york-mets-manager-mickey-callaway-ok-robinson-cano-not-running-infield-grounders

If there's such a thing as a millennial player, then it sure seems like Mickey is a millennial manager.  He just seems so clownish to me.

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I know it's obvious that not all players are held to the same standards, but man does it sound dumb and clueless coming from Mickey Callaway...man it seems like this guy wants to be everyone's pal just a little too much:

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/25513726/new-york-mets-manager-mickey-callaway-ok-robinson-cano-not-running-infield-grounders

If there's such a thing as a millennial player, then it sure seems like Mickey is a millennial manager.  He just seems so clownish to me.

It’s probably an analytics thing.  And if you think that Cano can still do it with his bat, glove and arm, you take him over the guy who runs out every grounder but can’t do that stuff.

42 minutes ago, Daniel said:

It’s probably an analytics thing.  And if you think that Cano can still do it with his bat, glove and arm, you take him over the guy who runs out every grounder but can’t do that stuff.

Like I said, I get that players are not going to be treated as complete equals...but I'm not so sure that saying it on the air (especially when you're a young manager who came off as pretty dopey at times last season) is a great idea.  Nothing to be gained by it.  Not to mention that now I'm sure some Mets are wondering "So what treatment do I get?  The Robinson Cano or the Amed Rosario?" 

Familia re-signs with the Mets...for three years (THREE?!) and $30 million. 

I'm sorry, this is exactly the kind of move I would've expected from Sandy.  I know Familia is clearly not being asked to be the closer here (not unless Diaz gets hurt), but this couldn't be less creative...and I also gotta think the Mets could've signed him for less than three seasons if they really wanted him that badly.  Familia has been kinda meh in general the past couple of years (and of course he was injured in 2017)...I know some of his peripherals have been pretty good (doesn't give up a ton of hits, gets his fair share of Ks, keeps the ball in the park), but his control isn't what it was (4 BB per 9 IP), and as we've seen, he can implode in spectacular and memorable fashion...almost to the point where he doesn't even look like a major-leaguer. 

This just feels too same ol same ol to me.  And the years and term feel like too much...especially for a team that I still think will penny-pinch whenever possible. 

Mets supposedly talking to Grandal now.

It's kinda slim pickins at catcher...and Grandal has at least shown the ability to play in a lot of games (for a catcher) and stay relatively healthy.  Also brings pop, and can get on base some (.335 OB% over the past five years).  Not loving the low BA (.236 over the past five seasons)...sometimes I'd just rather see a player who can hit his way on.  But it's impossible to argue that he wouldn't be an upgrade over TDA (should really be TTDL) and Plawecki. 

Realmuto is obviously still my first choice, but I get the feeling the Mets only get him if it costs too much.  And there's just not enough depth in the system where they can afford to screw themselves somewhere else. 

Grandal would probably be my last choice tbh...major red flag when the guy gets himself benched in the playoffs because of his defense and the fact he doesn't hit at all in the postseason anyway.  Give me Ramos, trade for one of the Red Sox guys, trade for Cervelli, whatever.  Signing Grandal to some 3 year, 40 million deal would likely be another Mets mid-market mistake.

Yeah no argument on this one.  Good signing.  Guess this means Syndergaard will be staying.  And that Realmuto was simply going to cost too much in assets.  

So glad to have Ramos here instead of moving heaven and earth just for Realmuto, who was never worth the kind of package we'd be giving up. 

Ramos I'm sure is right on the edge of some decline but as of now the guy can just flat out hit. Give me 110 solid games next year and I'll be happy. He's turning 32 next year so 2 years is exactly how long you'd want him for

BVW overall has been somewhere between kinda meh and pretty good.  The Cano contract is the big negative so far...that one can really be a killer, and at his age, very soon.  Huge risk (especially since that move cost them prospects as well), even though acquiring him did allow the Mets to rid themselves of Bruce (who clearly HAD to go), and Swarzak. 

Can't say Familia thrills me, but he does obviously have closing experience, and isn't opposed to being a setup guy at all (though at $10 million per year for three years, he should really be happy in whatever role he's asked to fill).  My main beef is that three years was a lot.

Ramos was a solid move, good player, fair term, only cost money, and not an insane amount of it.  Anything that minimizes TDA's potential impact behind the plate is a plus, and Ramos can hit. 

BVW has to stop sounding like an agent though...I get it, when you're an agent, you're also a salesman, and you do everything you can to puff up your "products" in trying to get someone to buy them.  Just don't do that with Mets fans...you shouldn't be done yet, and let's face it, in the case of two of your moves, you were able to make them happen because the opposing GM recognized that he has a great chance to be the winner in the Cano deal, and you were willing to overpay pretty significantly for Familia.  The Mets will still need a hell of a lot to break right just to flirt with 90 wins. 

Harvey to the Angels for $11 million on a one-year deal.  A bit stunned by the money...he was going to get a "show me" one-year deal somewhere, but I would've thought for half that money.