2018 Offseason Thread

LittleBallofHate

19 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

So the Devils are sending emails out to people to claim two complimentary tickets to opening night.  I believe they are targeting those whom they believe are possible future members.  I usually get these emails but this time I did not.

But if they are giving out free tickets to opening night, oh boy.

I was looking to buy tickets to opening night but they were like 80$ for the ones up top when I looked the other day on Tickpick. I'm waiting until closer to the day to see if I can pick them up cheaper. 

EDIT: I see prices have dropped already from last week. They were in the 80s for sec 229 and now they're down to 65. 

Edited by NJDevils1214

9 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I was looking to buy tickets to opening night but they were like 80$ for the ones up top when I looked the other day on Tickpick. I'm waiting until closer to the day to see if I can pick them up cheaper. 

EDIT: I see prices have dropped already from last week. They were in the 80s for sec 229 and now they're down to 65. 

If you follow the ticket thread in HF boards, you will see the biggest reseller of Devils tickets on those secondary sites are the Devils themselves (through brokers).  They also purposefully withhold tickets quite often to artificially inflate prices.

Edited by DevsMan84

57 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

So the Devils are sending emails out to people to claim two complimentary tickets to opening night.  I believe they are targeting those whom they believe are possible future members.  I usually get these emails but this time I did not.

Maybe it was to former season ticket holders to try to lure them back? Either way free tickets to the home opener against the defending Stanley Cup champs is not a good look. 

Edited by Satans Hockey

12 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

If you follow the ticket thread in HF boards, you will see the biggest reseller of Devils tickets on those secondary sites are the Devils themselves (through brokers).  They also purposefully withhold tickets quite often to artificially inflate prices.

I'm not on HF. What are the recommended methods of getting tickets, or is there no way around it. 

9 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Maybe it was to former season ticket holders to try to lure them back? Either way free tickets to the home opener against the defending Stanley Cup champs is not a good luck. 

Apparently it is both former STH to lure them back and people who have inquired about getting ST.  Typically I am on these lists as part of the latter group so I am surprised I didn't get the email this time.

And yeah it is a pretty bad look.

4 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I'm not on HF. What are the recommended methods of getting tickets, or is there no way around it. 

You have to get an email from the Devils to claim them.

Edited by DevsMan84
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Do the Devils not realize how lame this looks?

3 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Do the Devils not realize how lame this looks?

While I agree, what's even worse that our fans can't fill the building on opening night the season following them making the playoffs for the first time in 5 years.

Edited by DevsMan84
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I'm talking in general, not the free ones. What is the recommended way to purchase tickets if not the marked up ones from the brokers on the third party sites?

I typically get mine from Stubhub.  They always drop the closer you get to the game unless it is a special event (such as Elias night).  I typically buy my games no more than 24-48 hours before the game.

1 minute ago, DevsMan84 said:

I typically get mine from Stubhub.  They always drop the closer you get to the game unless it is a special event (such as Elias night).  I typically buy my games no more than 24-48 hours before the game.

Okay yea, that is what I do too. I've been using Tickpick because of the no fees.

17 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Apparently it is both former STH to lure them back and people who have inquired about getting ST.  Typically I am on these lists as part of the latter group so I am surprised I didn't get the email this time.

And yeah it is a pretty bad look.

You have to get an email from the Devils to claim them.

Honestly I really like my seats and the people around me otherwise I wouldn't have season tickets. If they ever bump my seats up to a ridiculous price I would definitely have a stubhub plan. 

It's a shame really. The tickets aren't that expensive for the home opener, we just made the playoffs for the first time in 5 years, have the damn MVP of the league. 

Hugh Weber and the rest of the front office should be embarrassed. I'm tired of all the excuses.

Just now, Satans Hockey said:

Honestly I really like my seats and the people around me otherwise I wouldn't have season tickets. If they ever bump my seats up to a ridiculous price I would definitely have a stubhub plan. 

It's a shame really. The tickets aren't that expensive for the home opener, we just made the playoffs for the first time in 5 years, have the damn MVP of the league. 

Hugh Weber and the rest of the front office should be embarrassed. I'm tired of all the excuses.

I am not sure what they can do at this point.  I know Hugh is the perennial whipping boy of that ticket thread on HF, but a lot of what he gets is unfair.  Getting butts into the seats has been an issue with the Devils forever and had trouble selling out games in the first round in 2001 playoffs, the year of their SC defense and their best regular season ever.  It is also hard to point at ticket prices when Devils comparatively still have very competitive, if not cheaper prices than similar teams.

Hugh can bring as many horses to the well as he can, but if the horses are refusing to drink what else can he do?  JVB had to literally give away thousands of tickets to each game just to fill up the stands during his tenure (I know because I often took advantage of those).

4 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Everything you list there is a reason our fanbase should be embarrassed that the game is not selling out. Not sure how you're twisting this as a front office thing, our fanbase should be ashamed that it can't rally and buy tickets to opening day.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, DevsMan84 said:

I am not sure what they can do at this point.  I know Hugh is the perennial whipping boy of that ticket thread on HF, but a lot of what he gets is unfair.  Getting butts into the seats has been an issue with the Devils forever and had trouble selling out games in the first round in 2001 playoffs, the year of their SC defense and their best regular season ever.  It is also hard to point at ticket prices when Devils comparatively still have very competitive, if not cheaper prices than similar teams.

Hugh can bring as many horses to the well as he can, but if the horses are refusing to drink what else can he do?  JVB had to literally give away thousands of tickets to each game just to fill up the stands during his tenure (I know because I often took advantage of those).

Back then the excuse was the fans growing up now will have kids and they will be fans of the team too. We should be way past that point. JVB was a huge issue too because he programed a large portion of this fan base to wait for free tickets. Look at all the Facebook posts about tickets. People either want them for free or for next to nothing. I'll eat my tickets before I'd give them to anyone on there. 

2 minutes ago, DJ Eco said:

Everything you list there is a reason our fanbase should be embarrassed that the game is not selling out. Not sure how you're twisting this as a front office thing, our fanbase should be ashamed that it can't rally and buy tickets to opening day.

I blame it on both at this point. Giving out free tickets conditions people. Why pay for something that you know you can maybe get for fee. 

2 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Back then the excuse was the fans growing up now will have kids and they will be fans of the team too. We should be way past that point. JVB was a huge issue too because he programed a large portion of this fan base to wait for free tickets. Look at all the Facebook posts about tickets. People either want them for free or for next to nothing. I'll eat my tickets before I'd give them to anyone on there. 

I 100% agree about JVB and I think that answers part of your concerns.

The other point is that while the Devils have been around for 36 years, they really only started to actually market in the past 3-5 years.  That's because they had owners who either didn't want to promote (McMullen), didn't care to promote (YankeeNets) or couldn't afford to promote (JVB) before the new owners came along.  Yeah winning helps but that only goes so far in an extremely crowded market.  The fact that the Devils won is probably the biggest reason why we even have the fans we have now.

I can't really fault the new owners and Hugh coming into a team in 2013 that just lost its 2 star players and was starting a stretch of rebuilding when they bought them (well technically the rebuild didn't really begin until 2015).  I think they have done all they have to prevent the fans from really jumping ship by opening the team up more with fans and investing heavily into the arena and team itself.

• Like 2

I guess what I'm getting at is that this is nothing new; there's obviously a long pattern now of our fanbase being, well... pretty weak. Some selective free tickets a week away from the opener is a symptom, not a cause.

Our fanbase is all bark, no bite. Our marketing's been top-notch last couple years; the team's PR played Taylor Hall's rise to MVP in the right way, pushed the right buttons (and maybe help catalyzed it?); we've got an NHL Network mini-series centered around our camp and start to the season, which was 99% Devils-initiated (doubt it was NHL throwing darts at a dartboard and landing on us)... Okay, we didn't get John Tavares or Erik Karlsson, but let's be realistic...

In other words, they've done all the right things. How it can not translate into box office numbers (on opening night, at least) is an indictment on the fanbase unfortunately.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I blame it on both at this point. Giving out free tickets conditions people. Why pay for something that you know you can maybe get for fee. 

It was great for non-STH, but yeah it is a business strategy that is awful in the long run.  It screws over the STH who are dropping tons of money either upfront or with monthly payments and it does indeed condition our fanbase to be well....cheapskates.

This is partially the result of that.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DJ Eco said:

I guess what I'm getting at is that this is nothing new; there's obviously a long pattern now of our fanbase being, well... pretty weak. Some selective free tickets a week away from the opener is a symptom, not a cause.

Our fanbase is all bark, no bite. Our marketing's been top-notch last couple years; the team's PR played Taylor Hall's rise to MVP in the right way, pushed the right buttons (and maybe help catalyzed it?); we've got an NHL Network mini-series centered around our camp and start to the season, which was 99% Devils-initiated (doubt it was NHL throwing darts at a dartboard and landing on us)... Okay, we didn't get John Tavares or Erik Karlsson, but let's be realistic...

In other words, they've done all the right things. How it can not translate into box office numbers (on opening night, at least) is an indictment on the fanbase unfortunately.

If you want a perfect example of how the fanbase can be with these things then look no further than the gigantic b*&%h-fest that was Marty night prices.  Here is what is generally agreed by the fans and press to be the greatest player in franchise history having his one and only retirement, with gigantic fanfare, for one game only with a finite amount of tickets and a large portion our fans still howled about how prices were not in-line with prices for other regular season games.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

While I agree, what's even worse that our fans can't fill the building on opening night the season following them making the playoffs for the first time in 5 years.

Yeah there’s no excuse for not having a solid crowd on opening night. And it’s not a game you should have to paper the house for. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, DJ Eco said:

Exactly. We had the #1 overall, then made the playoffs, then had the MVP. What exactly is ownership supposed to do??

I would have bought tickets but I don't like going during the week. 

9 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

It was great for non-STH, but yeah it is a business strategy that is awful in the long run.  It screws over the STH who are dropping tons of money either upfront or with monthly payments and it does indeed condition our fanbase to be well....cheapskates.

This is partially the result of that.

I will admit, I freaking love free tickets and will take them whenever I can. Maybe I am part of the problem. I don't care, they offered!!

(They did NOT offer this time; I did not get the e-mail). 

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

Exactly. We had the #1 overall, then made the playoffs, then had the MVP. What exactly is ownership supposed to do??

I would have bought tickets but I don't like going during the week. 

I will admit, I freaking love free tickets and will take them whenever I can. Maybe I am part of the problem. I don't care, they offered!!

(They did NOT offer this time; I did not get the e-mail). 

Oh I took advantage of that many times.  I remember in the 2010-11 season in November (when our season was going down the toilet) I got free tickets for 3 games from the Devils directly.  Two of the three games were seats in the lower bowl too.

11 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I mean, the place was packed for the playoffs. Game three was one of the best atmospheres I’ve ever seen at the Rock. I don’t get our fan base sometimes.

The home opener last year had such a fantastic atmosphere and then those people disappeared until they showed up during the final stretch run to the playoffs.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

If you want a perfect example of how the fanbase can be with these things then look no further than the gigantic b*&%h-fest that was Marty night prices.  Here is what is generally agreed by the fans and press to be the greatest player in franchise history having his one and only retirement, with gigantic fanfare, for one game only with a finite amount of tickets and a large portion our fans still howled about how prices were not in-line with prices for other regular season games.

Pissed me off too same with Elias night. Even more so with Elias night because unless we start winning some cups soon that was the last jersey retirement ceremony we will be seeing for at least 10-15 years. Most likely longer. 

• Like 2