NJDevs 2019-20 FHL - Dynamo Nation (redruM) Wins!

aylbert

The ability for the rest of the league to veto trades should be a control against tanking, not a control against managers getting duped on deals. The latter is part of the fun and interest in trade politics. This Burns Makar deal is perfectly fine given the high pick swap included, imo. I think it favors the team acquiring Burns but so what? Trades will have winners and losers. We aren’t here to veto on behalf of the losers, only to protect against totally egregious tank-esque deals.

9 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

So a couple bullet point thoughts:

- I agree the value is there if this trade takes place at the deadline, or even in December or January.  A half or quarter of a season of Burns for a proven rookie commodity like Makar makes this more agreeable.  But a FULL season of a top tier player for a completely unproven prospect and negligible pick (that won't get you a keeper eligible player) just doesn't seem quite there as far as value is concerned.  Makar certainly has the hype but, again, he's proven nothing and could end up not being worth the rookie keeper slot.

- In a more general sense.. not telling anyone how to play the game, but if you're looking to sell off a top tier guy it'd be in your best interest to let the entire league know explicitly.  Had a message like "Burns is available, send me a message" been posted I think the bidding war for his services would've vastly exceeded the current return.  I mean I can tell you right now that there are probably at least two teams that would've offered something worth arguably more than that.  

All fair but that manager is under no obligation to broadcast his intentions. If he was approached by one manager for a deal then that’s between the two of them.

id also argue Makar can be a damn good player for many years so it’s not as imbalanced a deal as people are making it out to be.

4 hours ago, aylbert said:

So with the above in mind... I can’t void the trade because it’s a trade you “wouldn’t do”.   There is significant, but uneven, value being sent back to LOTCB...  the difference is the 2020 window.  

This is very similar to the sentiments expressed in the Brad Marchand deal.     In this case LOTCB sent out feelers out there for everyone to see in the app chat...  it was known.   

There is no signs of collusion nor is there an ignorance in value or understanding.   

As I said in the above, we will not be implementing a trade value chart.

With that said: I will void this trade as a one time exception and ask that LOTCB try to compete this season before throwing in the towel.     There will not be an official start date to allow trades looking forward to 2020-21 at the detriment of 2019-20.       However, as it is unusual to throw in the towel at game 1...   it will be left at simply “not now”

I don’t understand - your post sums up why it’s a perfectly valid trade and why you won’t veto it but then you veto it?  I honestly think the two managers worked on a reasonable trade. Makar can be a stud for years, including this one. Who has decided one manager has thrown in the towel? It’s day one!

Edited by devlman

9 hours ago, devlman said:

The ability for the rest of the league to veto trades should be a control against tanking, not a control against managers getting duped on deals. The latter is part of the fun and interest in trade politics. This Burns Makar deal is perfectly fine given the high pick swap included, imo. I think it favors the team acquiring Burns but so what? Trades will have winners and losers. We aren’t here to veto on behalf of the losers, only to protect against totally egregious tank-esque deals.

8 hours ago, devlman said:

I don’t understand - your post sums up why it’s a perfectly valid trade and why you won’t veto it but then you veto it?  I honestly think the two managers worked on a reasonable trade. Makar can be a stud for years, including this one. Who has decided one manager has thrown in the towel? It’s day one!

Ultimately, after full consideration I took it as "tanking" as a direct reaction to LOTCB missing the draft. 

I fully agree the pieces make enough sense to not police the trade.   However, the general position voiced by the GMs of this league is to at least make an attempt this season before giving up the season and looking forward to 2020-21.    As commissioner, I will agree to enforce that at my own discretion and have asked LOTCB to make an attempt this season with the understanding there is no set date that is allowable to sell off...  other than, it can't be Game 1.     If that's a week, a month...   who really knows, but it's simply "not now".  It's why I call it a one-time exception, and not a ruling.

It helps immensely I'm the recipient of Burns and that LOTCB is open to putting a hold on his selling...  so both sides of the trade are okay with a pause in selling off... so there is no team currently fuming.         

• Like 1

9 hours ago, devlman said:

All fair but that manager is under no obligation to broadcast his intentions. If he was approached by one manager for a deal then that’s between the two of them.

Completely true.  Just my opinion, that's all.  But I think, generally speaking, it benefits the seller to create a bidding war of sorts almost every time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aylbert said:

Ultimately, after full consideration I took it as "tanking" as a direct reaction to LOTCB missing the draft. 

I fully agree the pieces make enough sense to not police the trade.   However, the general position voiced by the GMs of this league is to at least make an attempt this season before giving up the season and looking forward to 2020-21.    As commissioner, I will agree to enforce that at my own discretion and have asked LOTCB to make an attempt this season with the understanding there is no set date that is allowable to sell off...  other than, it can't be Game 1.     If that's a week, a month...   who really knows, but it's simply "not now".  It's why I call it a one-time exception, and not a ruling.

It helps immensely I'm the recipient of Burns and that LOTCB is open to putting a hold on his selling...  so both sides of the trade are okay with a pause in selling off... so there is no team currently fuming.         

Ok my bad didn’t realize he missed the draft and both parties are cool w the trade veto. Appreciate the explanation

1 hour ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Completely true.  Just my opinion, that's all.  But I think, generally speaking, it benefits the seller to create a bidding war of sorts almost every time.

True, assuming his intent was to be a seller.

23 hours ago, Henriqued said:

Wish the amazing pick of Byfuglien wasn't considered "suspended" so I could atleast IR+ him

Right, but he is officially suspended and isn't "injured"...   I was thinking it might be available as "Not Available"; but that's not the case...  Suspended is Suspended only...  so doesn't fit in a non-roster spot.

So, because I clearly have nothing better to do with my time, I've decided to plot daily ranks for the season (or at least until I get bored of doing it).  So far it's been fun watching the huge shifts:

image.thumb.png.4eca6ca82809060030d5d5e3eb5c35b3.png

I know Yahoo does this for individual stats and total points but I haven't seen a similar chart for spots in the standings.  You could obviously infer it from the "total points" chart but.. I'm a simple man and want the information right in front of me.  If someone knows how to find this within Yahoo let me know so I don't waste my time going forward :lol: 

Edited by Devilsfan118
  • Like 3

I mean total points IS standings on a different scale...   which is why the graphs are so similar.   Yours is nicer currently because it conveys placement, but in no way reflects the groupings...     The groupings show we have two current "top teams"..     7 teams largely indistinguishable from each other...   and then two sets of teams in two slightly lower tiers... and then we can see just how bad Nicoise Salad's week has been.   But given, a single goalie Win, SHO, SHP leads to these these drastic changes, it's too early to read anything into it.

Where I think your data is more useful though, is getting the raw data to find median placement even if ultimately it's not your journey to first place, just your final finish.
Still fun to see!

image.thumb.png.5ffb68e49abe547ea0c11dcb3fcfec38.png

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

James the real deal Neal might be the steal of the draft so far.. holy smokes

I accept him as a 25 goal scorer, and not a 40 goal scorer (and certainly not a 164 goal scorer)

But yes, grabbing those early 6 goals in the first three games is very nice!

Edited by aylbert
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

DOUBLE THE WASTE!!!

Man I wish Hughes had made it to the 6th round.  People would've been fighting over him for the next 5+ years.

Right, and that's the fear people have.   That you want to block sure-fire first rounders like Auston Matthews from becoming a keeper (like he was)...   but then you also want to have that player on your team, so it's a game of chicken of just how close to round 5 you go to block the pick...  while also not having someone else jump in front and grab them.   But still, a lot of young talent fell to the 6th round like William Nylander, Kyle Connor (unsigned at draft), Carter Hart... plus the two of the Calder caliber rookies in Cale Makar and Quinn Hughes

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, aylbert said:

Right, and that's the fear people have.   That you want to block sure-fire first rounders like Auston Matthews from becoming a keeper (like he was)...   but then you also want to have that player on your team, so it's a game of chicken of just how close to round 5 you go to block the pick...  while also not having someone else jump in front and grab them.   But still, a lot of young talent fell to the 6th round like William Nylander, Kyle Connor (unsigned at draft), Carter Hart... plus the two of the Calder caliber rookies in Cale Makar and Quinn Hughes

I even asked to draft last to get first keeper pick and a shot at Hughes. Didn’t think people would waste a top pick on him but shows what I know.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, devlman said:

I even asked to draft last to get first keeper pick and a shot at Hughes. Didn’t think people would waste a top pick on him but shows what I know.

I expected both to be taken in the 5th tbh.    But there are always some good keepers in the 6th.     Landing Nylander is a great consolation.
As I made clear, I would have gone Makar and Q. Hughes ahead of the rest with the new RFA keeper...    but I totally get buying the hype vs actual production argument.

18 minutes ago, devlman said:

Nico went in the 4th round, there was NOWAY Jack was going to make it to the 6th

• Like 1

I got lucky with Matthews. He was the first 6th round pick after we started the dynasty keepers. You all were still learning when he fell in my lap. It is nice having him and Mackinnon though. Taking a “shot” on Mac a few years ago after his down year 3(?) was my best pick so far

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, krunko7 said:

I got lucky with Matthews. He was the first 6th round pick after we started the dynasty keepers. You all were still learning when he fell in my lap. It is nice having him and Mackinnon though. Taking a “shot” on Mac a few years ago after his down year 3(?) was my best pick so far

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Matthews draft was the one when I was freaking out because I lost Laine because my PC crashed (autodrafting Reinhart from my queue)    I had a late 5th too but chose to draft Daniel Sedin and not shield Matthews from keeper status...   as did everyone else.   Fantastic score for you obviously.