2022 New York J-E-T-S Thread

NJDevs4978

11 minutes ago, '7' said:

And they get Lazard. 4 years $44,000,000.

Yea, it is very frustrating when they come here and demand their posse of buddies...but hey you want to start the relationship off on the right foot and keep him happy. But this is off to a very weird start. I suddenly do have a bad feeling about this. Though Lazard would've been a guy I would've been interested in anyway. But Cobb, 67 year old Mercedes Lewis, Beckham?? No thank you

Not that Lewis and Cobb are team cancers or anything. OBJ certainly could be.

Cobb should have been retired two years ago but Rodgers has basically kept his carcass in the league. I don’t get how they fit in Lewis unless they dump one of Uzomah or Conklin, and/or they already are ready to move on from Ruckert (who wasn’t even active much last year).

I can't see this announcement as being anything positive for the Jets. It'll probably be an announcement of more waiting "these things take time" and stringing us along with more cryptic BS

Hopefully we get a full commitment. Because the Jets are conducting business as if they have a full commitment from him, but this has gone on far too long and the Jets have been strung along before

Edited by '7'

Ok so he's made his intention known...but maybe that MadDog article is right the Packers are trying to milk the Jets for everything, which you can understand. Tough to see him going back to GB if this falls apart completely and the Jets walk away after all of this

2 minutes ago, '7' said:

Ok so he's made his intention known...but maybe that MadDog article is right the Packers are trying to milk the Jets for everything, which you can understand. Tough to see him going back to GB if this falls apart completely and the Jets walk away after all of this

No way he goes back to GB after all this. He’ll be a Jet.

28 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

No way he goes back to GB after all this. He’ll be a Jet.

GB needs to realize that Rodgers is disgruntled with the Packer franchise, is 39 years old, and has made it clear he's only going to the Jets.  There's only so much that GB is going to get in return in this case...there's no bidding war here, with 2 or 3 teams going all-out in trying to be the one that lands him. 

GB got just about ALL of Rodgers' prime years and won a Super Bowl with him at the helm.  He did his fvcking job for you, even if he was more or less unbearingly annoying at times.  He doesn't have much time left...why be SO determined to try to get so much for a guy who simply isn't worth a mega-package at this point? 

Oh, and even though it turned out that Rodgers wasn't being the PITA that many of us (including me) assumed he was, there’s a reason why we made that assumption to begin with.  I get why the Jets are going for it here, but a 39-year-old wack-a-doo coming off one of his most meh seasons shouldn't command this insane boatload of a return.  The sooner GB accepts that reality, the sooner Rodgers, the Jets, and GB can move the fvck on already with all of this.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

The media so wants the Jets to get boned here

Uh Dick, the Packers got a third-rounder for Favre.  If you or anyone else think they're getting some king's ransom now when they themselves want to move on, when his cap number is enormous and when he only wants to go to one team then you need your freaking heads examined.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

GB needs to realize that Rodgers is disgruntled with the Packer franchise, is 39 years old, and has made it clear he's only going to the Jets. 

Maybe I'm not reading it right, but it seems the Jets are in a more vulnerable position here than Green Bay. They're committed to a guy who's not even here yet. They signed his receiver in Lazard. 

11 hours ago, Jerrydevil said:

Maybe I'm not reading it right, but it seems the Jets are in a more vulnerable position here than Green Bay. They're committed to a guy who's not even here yet. They signed his receiver in Lazard. 

Both teams have an interest in getting this done, Green Bay to officially turn the page and the Jets to get him in the building and under center as fast as possible. Waiting until the draft...of course it could happen but it would also build a media firestorm over Green Bay and invite criticism that they're being unreasonable, holding Rodgers hostage, players would be constantly asked by it, it would cause a huge headache for Love and the entire franchise. Likewise with the Jets as they prep for 2023 you need your guy in the building, establishing relationships with players, coaches etc and being that face of the franchise (and Woody kickstarting his Rodgers Jets PR campaign I'm sure🤪). Lazard is a good player and someone Rodgers wanted here...but even worst case scenario and this somehow breaks down, having Lazard here as a 6'5 red zone target in his prime is not a bad thing

This Jets courtship of Rodgers has gone on longer than most thing, going back to the hiring of Hackett I feel. I know there are rules and such related to this, but backchannels always exist in every business. Rodgers had communicated enough to them to where they felt comfortable enough making certain organizational decisions in preparation for him being there

Edited by '7'

11 hours ago, Jerrydevil said:

He's going to be a Jet...both he and Green Bay are ready to move on.  And in GB's case, it's not like they're dealing off, say, a 32-year-old Rodgers who has tons of prime years left, with multiple teams fighting to get him...yeah, in that case, they HAVE to make sure that they get something worthwhile, and not feel like they got fleeced.  They're moving a 39-year-old who's more known for being flaky at best and an annoying PITA at worst and is actually known more for that lately than his on-the-field play, and both parties are completely sick of each other.  GB will obviously get something back, whenever this finally gets done, but no reason for them to think they're going to cash in, given all of the circumstances involved.    

On 3/14/2023 at 5:15 PM, NJDevs4978 said:

Cobb should have been retired two years ago but Rodgers has basically kept his carcass in the league. I don’t get how they fit in Lewis unless they dump one of Uzomah or Conklin, and/or they already are ready to move on from Ruckert (who wasn’t even active much last year).

Yea Mercedes Lewis and Cobb absolutely should not be on this team. I mean I would be open to bringing in Lewis in maybe a coaching role maybe since he does seem to be a positive locker room leader type guy. Cobb is going to be 33 and a fringe #4 receiver at this point. You'd rather have someone younger, on a rookie contract, with potential to grow/improve in the league in that spot

fwiw Lewis is supposedly drawing interest from the Raiders. I'm surprised someone other than the Jets would be interested in a soon to be 39 year old TE who caught 6 passes last year. Is his blocking even all that good anymore? Because that's all he is at this point

5 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

He's going to be a Jet...both he and Green Bay are ready to move on.  And in GB's case, it's not like they're dealing off, say, a 32-year-old Rodgers who has tons of prime years left, with multiple teams fighting to get him...yeah, in that case, they HAVE to make sure that they get something worthwhile, and not feel like they got fleeced.  They're moving a 39-year-old who's more known for being flaky at best and an annoying PITA at worst and is actually known more for that lately than his on-the-field play, and both parties are completely sick of each other.  GB will obviously get something back, whenever this finally gets done, but no reason for them to think they're going to cash in, given all of the circumstances involved.    

Yeah, I get it but the Jets are the desperate ones here. They are banking on Rodgers and really have no other good option to fall back on. I would not be surprised if they have to part with two first round picks to make this happen. They should just pay the cost and move forward.

I don't think Green Bay wants to pay $60 million to an unhappy Rodgers AND punt another year of Love (or pay $60 million to bench Rodgers) when they aren't exactly a championship contender anymore.  Both have need to get this done.  Nobody's gonna eat $60 million on principle, and have a circus atmosphere for a year because they didn't get the #13 pick this year.  Getting something is still better than getting bupkus, which they'd get if they forced Rodgers to be an unhappy money collector on the bench.

There's no way they're getting two firsts for Rodgers, they got a third-round pick for Favre for crying out loud.  At most they should get a 2 or a 3 this year, and maybe a conditional 1 next year based on either the Jets winning a SB or (more realistically) Rodgers playing more than one season. 

The Jets also have to protect themselves from the potential for one and done, Joe Douglas is not spending all his chips for a one-year shot on a 39-year old QB.  It's actually just as likely they're haggling over cap stuff than actual compensation.

Edited by NJDevs4978

23 minutes ago, Jerrydevil said:

Yeah, I get it but the Jets are the desperate ones here. They are banking on Rodgers and really have no other good option to fall back on. I would not be surprised if they have to part with two first round picks to make this happen. They should just pay the cost and move forward.

No WAY are they parting with two first-rounders.  That would be lunacy.  GB can then watch him retire and lose him for nothing...sure, the Jets put all of their eggs in his basket, but no way are they giving up more than one first-rounder, and I'm not so sure they'll even have to do that...not without some condition(s) attached to it at least (Jets make to the AFC Conference Final, etc).  Rodgers is never going to play for the Packers again, and they know it...I get that it's gotten ugly, but the franchise and player have a long history together and won a boatload of games while he was there (even though it resulted in "only" one championship).  You'd like to think that they'd patch things up enough that one day Rodgers can go back to Lambeau and enjoy a jersey retirement ceremony.  There's no reason for GB to find ways to fvck this up by being overly greedy.

4 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

I don't think Green Bay wants to pay $60 million to an unhappy Rodgers AND punt another year of Love (or pay $60 million to bench Rodgers) when they aren't exactly a championship contender anymore.  Both have motivation to get this done.

There's no way they're getting two firsts for Rodgers, they got a third for Favre for crying out loud.  At most they should get a 2 or a 3 this year, and a conditional 1 next year

Bolded sounds about right.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

21 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

A trade but not the one we’re waiting on:

Jets already signed the Moore replacement with Mecole Hardnan on a one year deal I suppose. Oh well fvck Moore, dude was a malcontent at 5-2 last year

Yea. And for all his noise it's not like he did a great job getting open...or catching the ball when it was thrown to him. I expected much better from him coming out of college and he turned into a locker room sourpuss who just wasn't as good as advertised...and who thinks he is better than he is. A stat chaser.

Sounds like Beckham Jr is going to happen. Hope Rodgers is able to keep him on the straight and narrow.

• 1 month later...

Well the Rodgers trade is FINALLY done, seems like the Jets had to eat it a little much for my liking comparing this to the Favre trade - the swap of 1’s this year (fine), a 2 this year (fine) and a 2 that becomes a 1 next year if Rodgers plays 65% of the snaps (bleh)

Edited by NJDevs4978

Finally finally finally...they have a quarterback. With the Jets you could never truly be confident it was going to get done. But it dead get done. Now it gives them some good PR momentum heading into draft week