Horrible, horrible news....

Don

About 34-36% of hockey fans in American cities with NHL teams are female, according to numbers I've read in the Sports Business Journal. However, this can vary drastically by city. For example, just 28% of Los Angeles hockey fans are female, while 46% of Colorado hockey fans are female. Generally, the numbers seemed to be the closest to 50/50 in cities where hockey was the most popular -- places like Detroit, Colorado, St. Louis, etc., had high numbers of female fans. New York/New Jersey was a bit of an exception, I want to say the percent of female fans was close to the average. The percent of female fans was quite low in California, which doesn't surprise me -- I don't think you see as many women at games (in any sport) out here as other places I've lived.

The only team of the four major sports in the survey that had more female than male fans was the Cleveland Indians -- I believe 54% of their fan base was female.

In my family, the women are just as big of fans as us men are -- in some cases, more so. And I've known a ton of female hockey fans over the years, so they are out there!

Legend of the Clown Banner wrote:

> if it ever gets to a point where she says "you cannot go at all",

> Ill just find myself a good lawyer

Same here. I liked hockey long before I liked girls. Geesh.

Lucky for me, my wife's first real hockey experience was watching the 2000 playoffs.

We met at the University of Waterloo and graduated in 2000. We moved to Toronto between game 1 and 2 of the Leafs series and got to watch the whole series in bars with all my Leaf-fan friends. After getting to lord it over the whole city it was on to the Philly come-back series, which was one of the most intense series I've ever had to endure as a hockey fan, ending with the Lindros hit and an NJ victory. Then it was on to Dallas and winning the Stanley Cup in OT in game 6. After all that excitement, she was hooked.

I actually consider her a Devils good luck charm. The team has been to the Finals three times and won it twice since we've been watching the playoffs together. In fact, the engagement ring I gave her is also a championship ring with a diamond in the middle with a ruby on one side and an emerald on the other for the original Jersey colours, and to symbolise the three trips to the Finals, losing (diamond 2001), twice taking home the big prize (emerald 2000, ruby 2003).

The story of our engagement is actually kind of funny. I ordered her ring from a website, and when it arrived in the mail it looked absolutely ridiculous. I relied on a friend of mine who likes jewellery and makes some herself with semi-precious stones to find what I wanted and she did at a website, but the people at the website ordered the biggest diamond, emerald and ruby they could within the range I wanted to spend and so the ring has the tiny diamond in the middle, with an emerald twice as big on one side, and a ruby twice as big as the emerald on the other side. It's the stupidest looking ring I've ever seen.

Undaunted, I made the proposal at Papillon, a French restaurant in Toronto, cuz butterflies are her favourite and the only ring I'd previously given her was a toe-ring with a butterfly on it, and I got down on one knee and made all manner of pledges of love, including a bit about how I chose Christmas colours for the ring because her name is Holly and Christmas is her favourite time of year and she makes it Christmas every day, trying to get out everything I had to say before she actually saw the ring, because as soon as I said "Will you marry me?", slipped the ring on and moved my hand away from blocking it, she saw the ring and burst out laughing. At that point I stood up and went back to sit down next to her (it was a corner booth) because I started to feel a tad awkward on my knee with her laughing hysterically. I reminded her that she's supposed to say yes, or kiss me or something, at which point she said yes and kissed me. She was too embarrassed at how ridiculous it looked to show it to the waiter or any other patron.

The one time I really tried to be romantic it turned into a farce (actually I think it's possible to trace the farce to the original idea to merge the idea of the engagement ring with that of the championship ring). I always said to Holly that I'm romantic the same way Homer is an environmentalist, referring to the episode where Lisa tries to save the big tree and she accuses Homer of not caring about the environment to which Homer responds "I'm saving the environment in my own special way" after which he proceeds to do donuts in the parking lot with his car screetching leaving black skids saying "Mmmm, donuts". Luckily Holly was quite pleased with the proposal as a whole, and said it wouldn't have been quite right if there wasn't something ridiculous involved.

She got another ring that she wears instead with a diamond in the middle and two small garlands on either side, and she's keeping the ring I gave her for "special" occasions, and when I say "special", think "special olympics".

Maybe I should take a photo of the specially designed engagement/championship ring to use for my avatar. Man I wish hockey would start so we can get back to talking about hockey games.

What's that New Testament scripture . . . something like "be ye not unequally yoked." Obviously warning not to marry a non-hockey fan! :lol:

Hockey & baseball have the largest %age of female fans. Which fits me exactly.

And I'm like PK - I'm the sports fan, not my hubby.

Here's what I've learned about women and hockey:

1. Most female fans are fans because of their family. I haven't met too many that have fallen for the sport who weren't exposed to it growing up (or through another relationship). But if they're ockey fans, they're dedicated hockey fans.

2. The best way to date/marry a hockey fan is to convert the one you love. And since its hockey, that's the easy part--nothing beats a live game, especially against one of the rivals. Get a taste of that, and they won't mind coming back (speaking from a few cases of personal experience).

<JESTER>

And since its hockey, that's the easy part--nothing beats a live game

The live game is what got me hooked. Every year my brother and father would get tickets for a few games from his work and one year they couldn't go so they gave the tickets to my mother and I. We didn't really want to go and said that we would leave after the second period. Needless to say it was a Devils-Flyers game in 86 or 87 with Hextall in goal and we have been Devils fans ever since. I take my friends to games all the time and they can't believe how much better it is in person :-)

Lisa

Here's what I've learned about women and hockey:

1. Most female fans are fans because of their family. I haven't met too many that have fallen for the sport who weren't exposed to it growing up (or through another relationship). But if they're ockey fans, they're dedicated hockey fans.

2. The best way to date/marry a hockey fan is to convert the one you love. And since its hockey, that's the easy part--nothing beats a live game, especially against one of the rivals. Get a taste of that, and they won't mind coming back (speaking from a few cases of personal experience).

<JESTER>

Well SHEESH point one is silly! I mean that's how ALL PEOPLE get to know a sport -- it's the rare fellow that just compulsively watches sports finding new ones to like... or the REALLY RARE WACKO who, oh say... plays a hockey video game or something and then finds himself actually involved in watching the real sport at first to imporve his gaming skills and hten he finds himself hooked on hockey!

Well SHEESH point one is silly! I mean that's how ALL PEOPLE get to know a sport -- it's the rare fellow that just compulsively watches sports finding new ones to like... or the REALLY RARE WACKO who, oh say... plays a hockey video game or something and then finds himself actually involved in watching the real sport at first to imporve his gaming skills and hten he finds himself hooked on hockey!

all I have to say here is BITE ME :P

:lol:

Well, you can add me to the list of women who are turned on to hockey by their boyfriends. (There's a Freudian slip, huh?) I NEVER watched hockey until I co-habitated with my boyfriend and then only watched a few games and didn't see what all the fuss was about. Actually, he and I almost broke up when he insisted on sneaking away from my brother's wedding to watch the '95 Stanley Cup win! I was pissed!! Oh, if I had only known then what I know now. :evilcry:

By the way, I did wind up marrying the yahoo. :P

Edited by poohbear

Female hockey fan, since Junior high.

I lived in North Dakota during my jr high and high school years and it is like a law, or a comandment there, "Thou Shall Like Hockey". They live, eat and breathe the sport up there. As a matter of fact, my first live game was a UND game in Grand Forks. (saw a lot of great players go through that college, and they are still cranking them out) They crank them out, and the Devils keep drafting them. :P

I got lucky... my dad took me to games starting in 83 when i was just 4... asnd throughtout growing up i went to many.. it was a bonus that i met an extremely huge devils fan :) Cause things probably wouldnt have worked out if he was a huge islander, flyer or ranger fan lol.. if he didnt like hockey i could probably deal.. but it just makes things so much better...

and u all got lucky too.. if u think about it ;) cause he introduced me to this site.. and i mean.. who doesnt feel lucky to have me here? OK dont all shout at once!! :rolleyes::P

Edited by langsgirl

I've been taking my daughter since she was 4 also. Everyday she asks me did anyone sign etc? For years she has had more hockey knowledge than any of the boys in her classes. I found out the other day she was here lurking while I was at work. How I found out, she told me she saw my name on the board, I told her I come on briefly at breaks, and spend most of my lunch hour online. She was disappointed she didn't catch me doing anything wrong. B )

that is cool to have a hockey heritage like that. My Dad never got into Hockey, he was more of a baseball guy. (he took me to many of those games)

He tries to talk hockey with me at times, but his heart is just not in it. Now my brother has become a big fan over the past few years. SO at least I have him to talk to about it when I visit.

My dad is the one that got me into hockey. He took me to a couple games when I was younger, but I didn't become a fan until the 2001-02 season. Now he likes to brag to his friends about me being the biggest hockey fan in the family and the one who supposedly knows the most.

I've been taking my daughter since she was 4 also. Everyday she asks me did anyone sign etc? For years she has had more hockey knowledge than any of the boys in her classes. I found out the other day she was here lurking while I was at work. How I found out, she told me she saw my name on the board, I told her I come on briefly at breaks, and spend most of my lunch hour online. She was disappointed she didn't catch me doing anything wrong. B )

i totally misread your post.. or just didnt pay attn and was thinking your daughter was still 4.. and i was trying to figure out how she knew what signing was and how she got onto the site.. now thats impressive...

cute tho.. how old is she now... is she in puck bunny training? She cant have Jamie.. u jsut let her know ;)

i totally misread your post.. or just didnt pay attn and was thinking your daughter was still 4.. and i was trying to figure out how she knew what signing was and how she got onto the site.. now thats impressive...

cute tho.. how old is she now... is she in puck bunny training? She cant have Jamie.. u jsut let her know ;)

She's 15 and as far as I know no puck bunny training yet! :rolleyes:

If my Rebecca lurks here when she's old enough to read... :unsure: well... it'll be no different than home so I guess no big deal! :evil:

She has two favorite toys at the moment both from people here!

Number one is "Ermie" Hockey Kermit the frog. She freaks when he's out of her sight!

Number two is "Bee" the NJ Devils koala bear! I have to constantly tell her Ermie is wearing skates not doos... "Doos?" "Sort of - they're skates - shoes with blades on them" we go over this time and time again. She loves it!

Bee, she informed me last night, is a behboos fan... "Behboos!" she shouted while pointing to his Devils shirt. I had no idea she equated the logo to the name. It's amazing how much kids know. She still knows her Rangers suck chant too.

What sucks is last year I got her hooked on hockey and this year I'll have to pay FULL PRICE for a ticket for her... River Rats will be our ticket of choice, lock out or not I suspect... :saddevil:

Rock - you never do anything wrong by the way!

I wish I could say my family brought me in, but thast just not true. Actually I made my dad a huge fan of the Devils also (he wants to get a jersey to wear at games).

Actually the town built a small roller hockey rink right by my house. It was cheap, and its in bad condition but I could go whenever I want, and they still have leagues there. I played there for a little, then I started watching to pros to see if I could pick up some things. I became hooked and wound up here.