2023-2024 NJ Devils season thread

MadDog2020

58 minutes ago, StarDew said:

Big time. Local and cannot watch games. Screw MSG, Comcast and this organization. 😠 

Even ignoring the on ice product the organization is getting hard to support. I haven't been to a game this year at the Rock, but by some accounts the food still sucks, the stalls weren't all open, the bathrooms still have issues, ticket prices went up, the arena presentation sucks/hasn't changed in years(my opinion), we're still stuck with MSG. I am sure others can add to the list. It's the worst.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I don't mind this but I like our teams msg crew. Not sure what people were hoping for here because besides SNY which only has one channel so we would get bumped to an overflow channel some games too there really aren't any other options. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I don't mind this but I like our teams msg crew. Not sure what people were hoping for here because besides SNY which only has one channel so we would get bumped to an overflow channel some games too there really aren't any other options. 

Would the YES Network be a possibility?

23 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

The "MSG crew" that we see can likely be kept if it goes to another network. They're not going to keep Dano just to do MSG panels.

24 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Anything but friggin' MSG. You don't know what it is like to not be able to watch games.  If you couldn't and couldn't afford tickets then I am sure you would be bitchin. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Even ignoring the on ice product the organization is getting hard to support. I haven't been to a game this year at the Rock, but by some accounts the food still sucks, the stalls weren't all open, the bathrooms still have issues, ticket prices went up, the arena presentation sucks/hasn't changed in years(my opinion), we're still stuck with MSG. I am sure others can add to the list. It's the worst.

As someone who went to a LOT of games this year:

The restaurant and loft food offerings weren't as good as prior...I'd say they were ok...sometimes a bit better than that, but not wildly so.  I like the time spent munching and hanging with my daughter pregame, but might just get some food elsewhere beforehand next season...still undecided.  I think part of it is the novelty of the whole endless buffet thing is wearing off, especially if the food isn't wowing me much, especially with many of the same items being served every game.

Bathrooms in the restaurants and lofts are fine, but yeah, concourse bathrooms have desperately needed TLC for years now.  I don't know why this hasn't been addressed.

I don't really have any major issues with the arena presentation, other than hearing the same tunes (at what almost feels like the same times) during stoppages.  The sightlines are fine and center ice screen is still solid, but it seems like there could be more replays at times.

I have DirecTV so I have no issues getting MSG, and outside of Dano just not being very good at his job and Bill apparently having no idea which team got penalized (or mixing up players on the ice), in general all I'm looking for is to watch the game.  Next year I may do what others do and watch the games with the radio feed for sound.  Sadly Dano is becoming a harder and harder listen.

But yeah, if I couldn't get MSG, I'd be just as pissed as anyone.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The restaurant and loft food offerings weren't as good as prior...I'd say they were ok...sometimes a bit better than that, but not wildly so.  I like the time spent munching and hanging with my daughter pregame, but might just get some food elsewhere beforehand next season...still undecided.  I think part of it is the novelty of the whole endless buffet thing is wearing off, especially if the food isn't wowing me much, especially with many of the same items being served every game.

Bathrooms in the restaurants and lofts are fine, but yeah, concourse bathrooms have desperately needed TLC for years now.  I don't know why this hasn't been addressed.

I don't really have any major issues with the arena presentation, other than hearing the same tunes (at what almost feels like the same times) during stoppages.  The sightlines are fine and center ice screen is still solid, but it seems like there could be more replays at times.

I have DirecTV so I have no issues getting MSG, and outside of Dano just not being very good at his job and Bill apparently having no idea which team got penalized (or mixing up players on the ice), in general all I'm looking for is to watch the game.  Next year I may do what others do and watch the games with the radio feed for sound.  Sadly Dano is becoming a harder and harder listen.

Be careful. TV is abt 20 sec behind radio.  lol It is good tho. I listen to games. Even siriusxm moved the play by play to a higher tier.  I won't pay for it as I use it only for my car. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ButlerBulldog said:

Would the YES Network be a possibility?

I know they have an overflow channel but not sure the availability of it since I don't watch the Yankees or Nets but I know nycfc of the mls got bumped all the time and there would be times where a 2nd overflow channel would be needed if the Devils, Nets and Yankees all played at the same time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StarDew said:

Anything but friggin' MSG. You don't know what it is like to not be able to watch games.  If you couldn't and couldn't afford tickets then I am sure you would be bitchin. 

I'm not telling anyone not to bitch and moan, when MSG was feuding I didn't have it for almost half a season and it was a pain in the ass to sail the high seas to find a steam. 

Now it couldn't be easier, get a VPN and get espn+ and you're good to go. Hell it's even cheaper than cable. 

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Do you got a surround setup? You can just unplug the center channel speaker and it will cut out Bill and Dano but you'll hear all the other sounds so it will be like you're at the game. 

11 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Do you got a surround setup? You can just unplug the center channel speaker and it will cut out Bill and Dano but you'll hear all the other sounds so it will be like you're at the game. 

Ah…only have that upstairs.  But I like where you’re going.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I'm not telling anyone not to bitch and moan, when MSG was feuding I didn't have it for almost half a season and it was a pain in the ass to sail the high seas to find a steam. 

Now it couldn't be easier, get a VPN and get espn+ and you're good to go. Hell it's even cheaper than cable. 

Yeah but I am not watching on a 15in laptop. Don't talk abt HDMI. TV  is too old. Nothing is easy.

58 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I know they have an overflow channel but not sure the availability of it since I don't watch the Yankees or Nets but I know nycfc of the mls got bumped all the time and there would be times where a 2nd overflow channel would be needed if the Devils, Nets and Yankees all played at the same time.

Interesting.  If all three teams were playing at once, I believe you could watch the game of your choice via the YES app, which is free with proof of a cable subscription including YES.  In any event, since I live outside the NYC area, I feel less strongly about the Devils’ network coverage than I do their their broadcast team.  I know that Chico is older, but replacing him with Dano was not an upgrade, and Bill still doesn’t understand how penalties work.

27 minutes ago, StarDew said:

Doesn't work on older equipment. Already checked.

That sucks SD. Your post makes me think of the TVs we had as a kid where they came in wooden cabinets. I don't miss those days.

Edited by NJDevils1214
  • EvilHeart 1

19 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

That sucks SD. Your post makes me think of the TVs we had as a kid where they came in wooden cabinets. I don't miss those days.

Console TVs heh heh.

I remember some people who kept those TVs even after they no longer worked….they’d just put a more “modern” TV on top of it, like a piece of furniture.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Yeah I remember rabbit ears and cabinets and tubes.  Don't forget the dials. 😉

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, StarDew said:

Yeah I remember rabbit ears and cabinets and tubes.  Don't forget the dials. 😉

On this note…I remember in the 80s, the “standard” CRT TV size was 19” in most homes.  My mother won an award at work in 1984 or 85 and it was a 25” TV with detachable speakers that came with its own stand.  At the time it seemed massive and incredibly cutting edge heh heh.

I knew people who had black and white TVs too.  I bought my first TV (19” of course) as I was starting college, in 1988.  A Zenith, from Kmart, for about $300.  

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

On this note…I remember in the 80s, the “standard” CRT TV size was 19” in most homes.  My mother won an award at work in 1984 or 85 and it was a 25” TV with detachable speakers that came with its own stand.  At the time it seemed massive and incredibly cutting edge heh heh.

I knew people who had black and white TVs too.  I bought my first TV (19” of course) as I was starting college, in 1988.  A Zenith, from Kmart, for about $300.  

The TVs in my house growing up didn't have remotes anymore and you had to get up to change the channel on the dial pad. Our microwave had a twist knob and not a screen with the push buttons lol.

My first ever "flat screen" TV weighed a million pounds and was still just a CRT with a flat screen. Might have been a Panasonic.

• Like 1
  • EvilHeart 1

1 minute ago, NJDevils1214 said:

The TVs in my house growing up didn't have remotes anymore and you had to get up to change the channel on the dial pad. Our microwave had a twist knob and not a screen with the push buttons lol.

My first ever "flat screen" TV weighed a million pounds and was still just a CRT with a flat screen. Might have been a Panasonic.

I bought a Sony WEGA (32”) in 2000.  Cost a fortune…think I paid $3200 for it, IIRC.  From Nobody Beats The Wiz.  fvcker was HEAVY, but I could actually carry it.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

We had a DuMont.

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

My parents got me my first TV for my room as a birthday gift when I turned 9. It was like an 8 or 10 inch Panasonic (can’t remember, but it was a small TV). A good friend of my parents worked for Panasonic, so he got them a deal. My sister was jealous as hell 🤣

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 1