Jake Allen to NJD for conditional 3rd

jagknife

.899 save% and -28.0 GSAA over the past four seasons with Montreal.

Feels like a "What the hell" move.  Hard to think a bigger move won't come this offseason.

Also gonna be here next year...guess this means the end of VV?  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

1 minute ago, smelly said:

Worse than the TT trade.  Fitz so screwed the pooch this year.

5MM-plus tied up in JA and VV next year.  Even with the retention.

Fixed it.

Between the goaltending failure, the lack of making moves early to get help, and ruff, Fitz wasted this season

• Like 4

Just now, RunninWithTheDevil said:

So guessing the Devils will move VV in the offseason (and potentially retain some of his money), with the money to slide in Allen over VV basically being a wash.  Not sure how this moves things forward...feels like a move for the sake of making one.  Guess we see if Fitz lands a bigger goaltending fish during the summer.

1 minute ago, smelly said:

Worse than the TT trade.  Fitz so screwed the pooch on the G position this year.

5MM-plus tied up in JA and VV next year.

There is no way we don’t go for a REAL goalie over the summer, and if we don’t I will have lost ALL faith in Fitz.

• Like 2

Just now, MadDog2020 said:

He can backup whoever we get over the summer.

That's how I think this plays out.  Instead of VV as a potential backup, now it will be someone with a fresh start, on a lower cap hit.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

He can backup whoever we get over the summer.

That’s more or less what I’m thinking.  For added depth, the Devils can stow Daws or Schmid in Utica and launch Vanecek into the sun.

2 minutes ago, smelly said:

Just getting killed on NHL Radio.  "Allen is not the answer.  This is a little strange to me."

Montreal fans loving it.

Of course he isn’t the answer, you’d have to be a complete idiot to think Fitz is done addressing goaltending this summer. Allen will be a backup next year. He’s no solution. Anyone trying to view it through that lens is, like I said, not bright. 

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Of course he isn’t the answer, you’d have to be a complete idiot to think Fitz is done addressing goaltending this summer. Allen will be a backup next year. He’s no solution. Anyone trying to view it through that lens is, like I said, not bright. 

Duh.

But he is Fitz's answer for this season -- that's what NHLR and I are referring to.  Either do it two months ago or not at all.

Fitz is also now going to have to add a sweetener to get someone to take VV off his hands for next year. And probably gonna have to retain on VV too.

Edited by smelly
  • Like 2

Allen has basically hung around average/neutral by goals saved above expected the last three years; his raw numbers definitely look worse than they probably should thanks to Montreal's defense. At 50% retained, this seems okay if incredibly dull BUT he 100% cannot preclude you from acquiring a true #1 in the summer. Honestly, it's more annoying the Devils didn't make this move weeks or even months ago. Just like firing Lindy when did they did, it's reeks of too little too late.

Edited by nmigliore
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, smelly said:

Just getting killed on NHL Radio.  "Allen is not the answer.  This is a little strange to me."

Montreal fans loving it.

How the hell did Allen get a third to probably become a second is my question. Like what the freaking hell.

• Thanks 2

Just now, MadDog2020 said:

That I agree with. 

I think Fitz (who is definitely as patient as it gets) was trying to give VV every chance to regain last year's form.  It didn't happen.  I think Allen coming in is Fitz basically saying that he's done with VV.

Being that Allen is going to be cheap, Devils can look for a backup upgrade, if he's not getting it done.

Basically, in this deal the Devils got their incumbent backup of 2024-25.  Not surprised, in that I had a feeling that Fitz was going to try to start next season with two brand-new goalies.  

• Like 1